Make a donation

Author Topic: From Edition 30 to S3  (Read 4178 times)

Offline Trunkstuff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
From Edition 30 to S3
« on: March 13, 2015, 11:11:59 am »
Alright guys

Recently moved to an S3, nothing was wrong with my old car I loved it, but needed 5 doors and really wanted 4WD.

Old Car:

Stage 2 Edition 30 DSG. 330bhp mapped by R-tech.

Traded it in for the S3:

Came to me with a fair few issues, but got it at a decent price and saw its potential. It came with Stage 2 + from Revo but was running terrible, felt dog slow and worse than standard. Took it to a Revo dealer which saw it was running very high timing due to an engine rebuild it had. Put the standard map back on and booked it in at R-tech.
Had a fair amount of engine work done cleaning bit up and putting parts back to standard (PCV,Diverter Valve). Then replaced the existing induction kit with an ITG one, had one on my golf and its such an awesome bit of kit. The wheels were stuck on the car had to have the bolts drilled out and replaced..

Got back from R-tech with a completely different car, felt amazing to drive. Didn't go too mad because of the underlying timing issues but made a healthy 350bhp 365 Torque, Really happy with it :)

Finally feel like I'm happy with the car, the 4wd is amazing gets traction no matter the conditions. Just will be looking to change the wheels eventually.

List of Mods are:

KW V3 Coilovers
Uprated Bushes
Full 100 cell Miltek Exhaust
Pro Alloy Intercooler
ITG Induction Kit
Sach Dualmass Clutch
AutoTech Fuel Pump
R-tech Custom Map
Bucket Seats

Thanks for reading :)

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
Re: From Edition 30 to S3
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 01:52:41 pm »
lovely looking car. with similar power, how does it compare to the Golf?

Offline Trunkstuff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 02:09:08 pm »
lovely looking car. with similar power, how does it compare to the Golf?

Overall pretty similar, Feel like the build quality on both are great and obviously the engine/power are the same.

Power delivery is where the audi excels though. My golf would spin up like crazy in anything but bone dry weather, while the audi puts power down perfectly no matter what the condition. It really is a massive difference and I can't see myself going to a FWD car over 300bhp again after this.

Offline Batfink76

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 09:19:25 pm »
Love the alloys, are they OZ?

Offline Trunkstuff

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 05:54:58 pm »
Love the alloys, are they OZ?

Indeed mate, replacing them with standard s3 ones though and putting the OZ up for sale. I like them but I want to use the car for work and want the more civilized look of the standard silver alloys :)

Offline Gaz

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 10:28:01 am »
Im doing the opposite, going from a stage 2+ S3 to a stage 2+ Edition 30!

The S3 was awesomely quick, but it almost felt too sensible with it. I much prefer FWD as a drivers car and for some fun- i want a fight with it!  :driver:

Quattro struggled with the power sometimes, it would sometimes step the rear end out but not in a good way as you never know when it will do it as its constantly changing with the Haldex control.

I also didnt like the steering, i think it was the adaptive steering where it was light sometimes and heavier others. Just doesnt do anything for your confidence.

Edition 30 is a more straight forward car, no haldex deciding whats happening or trying to catch you out and no stupid power steering. In FWD im much more confident!

Have you noticed anything like that?

Offline Paradox1

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 82
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 10:55:07 am »
may depend on how hard you drive the car. not in a straight line, i mean how fast your looking to take a bend and unsettle the car etc.

I know what you mean about quattro feeling too safe. a bit like training wheels. dont get me wrong its still an amazing car, i guess it just come downs to preference.

I wouldnt turn down an S3 but id would prefer fwd for spirited driving