Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo Remap Pricing on older Mk5 GTi's  (Read 19302 times)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
Re: Revo Remap Pricing on older Mk5 GTi's
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2012, 05:08:15 pm »
...but if they are still selling lots of TFSI maps then why would they?

And why should they? Revo obviously place a (high) value on their product. That product is no less valuable just because the car it is suitable for has lessened in value. I mean where do you stop? You could apply this logic to every part available for the car...

I think it will only come down as more and more players like R-Tech, Shark and Jabba start taking a larger share of the market, you can only trade on your name for so long before you also need to be competitive on pricing, thats basic business..........
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2012, 05:09:45 pm »
Jabbasport have also been tuning VAG cars long before REVO existed  :happy2:

Only 5 years according to their respective websites.

I was buying parts for my MK2's from Jabbasport 10-11 years ago, pretty sure they been around since mid/late 90's?  :happy2:

1997 according to the Jabbasport website and 2002 for Revo. 2002 - 1997 = 5  :confused:

5 years in the tuning world is a long time  :happy2:

Not many 2.0l TFSI's floating around then though.  :wink:

1.8T FTW!

No, but they were tuning my MK2's (8V and 16V) before the MK4 came out and then my MK4 1.8T around the time the Mk5 came out.  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2012, 05:18:32 pm »

I think it will only come down as more and more players like R-Tech, Shark and Jabba start taking a larger share of the market, you can only trade on your name for so long before you also need to be competitive on pricing, thats basic business..........

....Why do you keep on insisting that the likes of Revo and APR are only trading on their name? In other words, deciding their prices because of their name.

Do I have to explain yet again the basic business principle that causes commercial companies to balance their prices with their costs, which in turn reflect their size and international structure?

I would have though that Jabbasport would have gained an increased share of the market by now. They have been going since when? 1997 did you say?

Shark? - Well, I'm not holding my breath and I hate the way that Ben, whenever I meet him, trashes Revo.

R-Tech have the most potential IMO but it depends on what financial backing Nick can get and what his aspirations are.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=fg2dgkhmecnd92cm2ofp7p6ifs&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2012, 05:21:16 pm »
If R-tech were a world wide business with 550 dealers in 35 countries... their maps would not be 300 quid.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2012, 05:34:32 pm »

I'm with Graeme here. In the last year, at Stage 1 over 2 cars I've had a PDT remap, a Storm Developments remap, and now a Revo remap.

There is very little to pick between them to be honest. If anything, I'd say the PDT is marginally the best, and is still on Liz's (my ex) shadow blue Golf. It feels that fraction more urgent, if you know what I mean!

Now the only major difference is that the Revo map was 500 plus VAT, whereas the other 2 were 300 plus VAT! I get Robin's point that Revo have greater overheads, but why feed the bigger dog's bigger stomach when there is no need to? The smaller dog is delivering just as good a product in my experience, and doesn't need as much food!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #50 on: November 27, 2012, 05:44:23 pm »

If R-tech were a world wide business with 550 dealers in 35 countries... their maps would not be 300 quid.

....Exactly! That's exactly what I have been banging on about. But why use 25 words when 250 will do?  :laugh:

This isn't a case of whose remap is the best but about pricing. The 'smaller dog' may indeed be just as good a product but there are other factors such as location and other services as I have already posted.

I suddenly feel the need for some temporary light relief from this discussion (interesting as it is) and so, following on from the mention of dogs...........

^ Posting such images is expected of me and I have a reputation to keep up  :evilgrin:

You just KNOW what that dog is thinking!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 05:46:28 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #51 on: November 27, 2012, 05:54:51 pm »
...but if they are still selling lots of TFSI maps then why would they?

And why should they? Revo obviously place a (high) value on their product. That product is no less valuable just because the car it is suitable for has lessened in value. I mean where do you stop? You could apply this logic to every part available for the car...

Imagine trying to have this argument at the VW parts desk.

The major difference is that there are no excellent same or lower price alternatives to VAG parts. You either have genuine VAG or lump it. Or you use mod parts which are far more expensive than VAG. There are, however, excellent alternatives to Revo maps at far cheaper prices.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: November 27, 2012, 07:36:39 pm »
We now have 50+ dealers in 36 countries, our price for the TFSi hasn't changed much in the last 5 years and it probably won't change in the next 5 years either. I remember the good old days of chip tuning when we were charging £1500+ for some cars. It was only 7 years ago we were charging £500 for most stg1 stuff, but now that there's so many Chinese clone tools and eBay discs full of software being used by mobile 'Tuners' (I use that term loosely) for £125 per remap, the prices and public perception of value has been dragged right down.

In an ideal world the tuning industry would be regulated and prices would then quickly even out.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #53 on: November 27, 2012, 08:11:34 pm »

We now have 50+ dealers in 36 countries, our price for the TFSi hasn't changed much in the last 5 years and it probably won't change in the next 5 years either. I remember the good old days of chip tuning when we were charging £1500+ for some cars. It was only 7 years ago we were charging £500 for most stg1 stuff, but now that there's so many Chinese clone tools and eBay discs full of software being used by mobile 'Tuners' (I use that term loosely) for £125 per remap, the prices and public perception of value has been dragged right down.

In an ideal world the tuning industry would be regulated and prices would then quickly even out.

....When you say "We" do you mean Revo or PDT?

Offline rtechniki

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 27
    • Email
« Reply #54 on: November 27, 2012, 09:20:29 pm »
The bigger you get the bigger the prices the greater the hassle.

One way to put it.... I just got a little shed on the out skirts of Leicester.............. a bit like Noble.

I have no intentions to expand R-Tech beyone the end of my nose.   All the turnover, gross, net profits, margins, marketing, sales BS, competition and political BS from running a franchise would take my eye of what I enjoy, and thats seeing customers drive away with a huge grin from something the R-Tech team have done.

I have had many offers of major £££ input into R-tech to take the "NAME" worldwide and setup a dealer network.  I could sit on a laptop all day  just writing generic "safe" codes and emailing them to dealers to flash to customers car, maybe earn £1000 per day by selling 10 maps?????   My worry would be does the dealer have the passion like me and is he going to fully inspect the car and make sure its safe to map?

If I was a true buisness man then I would to do it and be rich and have anAudi RS6 at 800bhp..lol   but I need to remember what I am, and thats a grease monkey tuner who smells of petrol fumes and goes home every night with a dirty face with a smile knowing everyone is happy.

R-Tech prices are low as its just me Ben and Jim in a small £500 per month shed with a 25 year old Bosch dyno, we all take an average wage so dont need to charge silly money for tuning or aftercare.

My drive is passion not profit and my award is from reading customers reviews on the forums and facebook pages.   I could happy earn no money one day but come home and read a glowng customer reveiw and be happy as Larry on acid.  :drool:

Nick

PS
Even non R-Tech customers make me grin with there comments..... Cheers Red Robin  :drinking:

Nick Gower
R-Tech Performance Tuning
Hinckley 01455 617233
Bespoke ECU Software for 1.8T & 2.0TFSI

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #55 on: November 27, 2012, 09:25:55 pm »
^^^^
I understand your ethos sompletely, Nick  :happy2: And what you have written doesn't surprise me at all. Long may you enjoy what you do and bring pleasure to others.

Such an attitude reminds me a bit of Guy Martin.

There's more to life than just money.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: November 27, 2012, 09:47:22 pm »

....When you say "We" do you mean Revo or PDT?

PDT is the dyno tuning element that the general public see on a daily basis, we also have a much bigger tuned software business: www.sedox-performance.co.uk I deal with the tech support for the UK dealers and development of VAG and BMW software. We have various offices worldwide that deal with the rest of the world. This way I get to work in a workshop/dyno all day and actually tune cars, not stuck in an office writing software for 8 hours a day.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #57 on: November 27, 2012, 09:53:57 pm »
Jabbasport have also been tuning VAG cars long before REVO existed  :happy2:

Only 5 years according to their respective websites.

I was buying parts for my MK2's from Jabbasport 10-11 years ago, pretty sure they been around since mid/late 90's?  :happy2:

1997 according to the Jabbasport website and 2002 for Revo. 2002 - 1997 = 5  :confused:

5 years in the tuning world is a long time  :happy2:

Not many 2.0l TFSI's floating around then though.  :wink:

1.8T FTW!

No, but they were tuning my MK2's (8V and 16V) before the MK4 came out and then my MK4 1.8T around the time the Mk5 came out.  :happy2:

So what you are saying is they are behind the curve.  :confused:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #58 on: November 27, 2012, 10:06:59 pm »

One way to put it.... I just got a little shed on the out skirts of Leicester.............. a bit like Noble.

I have no intentions to expand R-Tech beyone the end of my nose.   All the turnover, gross, net profits, margins, marketing, sales BS, competition and political BS from running a franchise would take my eye of what I enjoy, and thats seeing customers drive away with a huge grin from something the R-Tech team have done.

I have had many offers of major £££ input into R-tech to take the "NAME" worldwide and setup a dealer network.  I could sit on a laptop all day  just writing generic "safe" codes and emailing them to dealers to flash to customers car, maybe earn £1000 per day by selling 10 maps?????   My worry would be does the dealer have the passion like me and is he going to fully inspect the car and make sure its safe to map?

If I was a true buisness man then I would to do it and be rich and have anAudi RS6 at 800bhp..lol   but I need to remember what I am, and thats a grease monkey tuner who smells of petrol fumes and goes home every night with a dirty face with a smile knowing everyone is happy.

R-Tech prices are low as its just me Ben and Jim in a small £500 per month shed with a 25 year old Bosch dyno, we all take an average wage so dont need to charge silly money for tuning or aftercare.

My drive is passion not profit and my award is from reading customers reviews on the forums and facebook pages.   I could happy earn no money one day but come home and read a glowng customer reveiw and be happy as Larry on acid.  :drool:

Nick

PS
Even non R-Tech customers make me grin with there comments..... Cheers Red Robin  :drinking:

:congrats: good on you fella.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline ArildStavrum

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2012, 10:25:31 pm »

Nick

PS

A refreshing read. :happy2:

I would love to feel the same about my own place of work. :sick: