Make a donation

Author Topic: Revo Remap Pricing on older Mk5 GTi's  (Read 19318 times)

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: Revo Remap Pricing on older Mk5 GTi's
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2012, 12:59:45 pm »
@MC71, I totally agree with your point on R-Tech.

The PDT remap on my old Mk5 and the Storm Developments remap I had on this one were both £300, and I was thrilled with both. An ECU problem meant I had to go Revo, otherwise there is no way I'd have gone with them.

+1 here. I'd rather pay £300(ish) for a proper custom remap which is tailored exactly to my requirements, rather than £600 for an "out of the box" remap. I could also do a hell of a lot of trips to R-Tech and still not spend on fuel the £300 saving I made  :wink:

I still believe your paying a premium for the "Revo" brand, like buying "Nike" trainers, "Milltek" exhausts etc. . . .

Revo should be more competitive  :party: although if people are paying it then they are clearly onto a winner  :grin:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #31 on: November 27, 2012, 01:29:46 pm »
Jabbasport have also been tuning VAG cars long before REVO existed  :happy2:

Only 5 years according to their respective websites.

I was buying parts for my MK2's from Jabbasport 10-11 years ago, pretty sure they been around since mid/late 90's?  :happy2:

1997 according to the Jabbasport website and 2002 for Revo. 2002 - 1997 = 5  :confused:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2012, 03:16:57 pm »

+1 here. I'd rather pay £300(ish) for a proper custom remap which is tailored exactly to my requirements, rather than £600 for an "out of the box" remap. I could also do a hell of a lot of trips to R-Tech and still not spend on fuel the £300 saving I made  :wink:

I still believe your paying a premium for the "Revo" brand, like buying "Nike" trainers, "Milltek" exhausts etc. . . .

Revo should be more competitive  :party: although if people are paying it then they are clearly onto a winner  :grin:

....You make it sound as if established brand companies like Revo, Nike, Milltek, etc are taking financial advantage of people and need not charge what they do. As I explained earlier in this thread, such companies have much larger overheads than the likes of R-Tech etc. If R-Tech etc grow sufficiently in size they will be facing the same needs to fund their existence and continue developing their products. Bigger dogs have bigger stomachs to feed.

As I have posted on many occasions, I have great respect and faith in R-Tech but this is only through meeting Nick and hearing good reports from many others, not just one person. What can R-Tech offer me as a 'custom' map compared with my 'generic' Revo map fine-tuned by JKM? - Nothing! Just look at all my dyno plots, nothing needs improvement.

As for Storm, I had never heard of them until GTian mentioned them and I have more faith in established brands. I always buy Nike trainers because I know I can trust their products and love their style.

I view much of the anti established brands attitude is being the same as inverted snobbery.

Unfortunately most people are primarily driven by what things cost and want everything for nothing anyway. In spite of currently having to live off State Benefits I don't think that way.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:18:53 pm by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2012, 03:36:54 pm »
Robin you make a fair point re: overheads etc - they will no doubt have more mouths to feed etc.

As I think we have discussed before, you get great results from Revo and im not in any way suggesting a change (wouldnt be worth it) - and also as I think you said earlier you got your Revo cheaper than the £600 they are offering now.

In my view, as the consumer, value for money is my priority  :happy2: and if i was in the market for a remap i would be looking for bang for buck matched with a quality product (a bit of my project management side coming out here  :grin:). from all the dyno days i've attended, i do fail to see (this is in my own opinion) why (if i was in the market for a remap) a £600 Revo map is better than a £300 custom remap from the likes of R-Tech, PDT etc, we all get the same amount of power, great curves, drivability etc except one costs twice that of the other.

Considering (im using revo as an example) that the MK5 has been out for a good few years now, all the money invested in development should have easily been recovered (and no doubt a healthy profit made), that Revo should reduce their prices accordingly - afterall they have reduced the prices for the MK4 some time ago. This is my argument.  :happy2:

I'm really not slating the product, Revo have a great product with many happy followers but to me at £600 a go, it doesnt make financial sense  :sad1:

I'm happy to pay a premium for a large brand (nothing against Nike or Milltek) providing it delivers something that its competitors don't, and meets my needs. Afterall, you buy something to meet your needs.

Gray
« Last Edit: November 27, 2012, 03:42:05 pm by GrayMK5GTI »

Offline danishmkvgti

• Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 154
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,7823.0.html
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2012, 03:48:26 pm »

The PDT remap on my old Mk5 and the Storm Developments remap I had on this one were both £300, and I was thrilled with both. An ECU problem meant I had to go Revo, otherwise there is no way I'd have gone with them.

REVO isn't quite a generic map, APR is a generic map no changes possible, REVO allows the tuner to customize the map to your car while installing the map. Afterwards the map can be adjusted to hardwarechanges to a certain degree (not BT upgrade).
So you get a product above a generic map as the APR is.

Over the top mod list ;o)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2012, 03:49:40 pm »
^^^^
Yes, I can see that it ought to soon be time for Revo to reduce their Mk5 remap prices but the 2.0T FSI continues and I wouldn't expect any commercial company to drop their prices until they see a drop in their unit sales numbers.

If I hadn't remapped my car yet, I would certainly very seriously consider R-Tech but would probably still pay the extra for Revo for the convenience of JKM and my longstanding faith in Jim as a fine-tuner plus his overall expertise with the 2.0T FSI beyond just remapping. R-Tech are simply too far away and I am someone who used to happily drive a 340 mile round trip to VWR when they had a workshop. JKM are a 180 mile round trip for me.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2012, 03:52:53 pm »

REVO isn't quite a generic map, APR is a generic map no changes possible, REVO allows the tuner to customize the map to your car while installing the map. Afterwards the map can be adjusted to hardwarechanges to a certain degree (not BT upgrade).

....I knew that Jim at JKM had tweaked my remap while installing but not that it the Revo wasn't 'generic'. Nor did I know that APR remaps were generic. Thanks for the info, Jake  :happy2:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2012, 03:58:25 pm »
^^ Robin I think we are reaching an agreement  :drinking:

In your position (and probably the same for many others), if it's too inconvenient too travel the extra distance then Revo may be the best value for money - not to mention a good relationship with your tuner.

Everybody will have their reasons for choosing a specific product or tuner, they just need to weigh up whats best value for money for them - needs/ location being the main considerations   :happy2:

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2012, 04:01:22 pm »

I agree, Revo is very much a one size fits all (well rounded) map, with an amount of adjustability (3 parameters across the whole rev range). So not entirely custom, but not exactly generic

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2012, 04:35:31 pm »
Can we call REVO generic(ish) then?

:signLOL:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2012, 04:36:28 pm »

Can we call REVO generic(ish) then?

:signLOL:

....Generish?  :grin:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2012, 04:47:41 pm »
...but if they are still selling lots of TFSI maps then why would they?

And why should they? Revo obviously place a (high) value on their product. That product is no less valuable just because the car it is suitable for has lessened in value. I mean where do you stop? You could apply this logic to every part available for the car...

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2012, 04:49:52 pm »
...but if they are still selling lots of TFSI maps then why would they?

And why should they? Revo obviously place a (high) value on their product. That product is no less valuable just because the car it is suitable for has lessened in value. I mean where do you stop? You could apply this logic to every part available for the car...

Imagine trying to have this argument at the VW parts desk.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2012, 05:06:13 pm »

I was buying parts for my MK2's from Jabbasport 10-11 years ago, pretty sure they been around since mid/late 90's?  :happy2:

1997 according to the Jabbasport website and 2002 for Revo. 2002 - 1997 = 5  :confused:

5 years in the tuning world is a long time  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2012, 05:08:07 pm »

5 years in the tuning world is a long time  :happy2:

Not many 2.0l TFSI's floating around then though.  :wink:

1.8T FTW!