Make a donation

Author Topic: Back in a VAG,What to do?  (Read 824 times)

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Back in a VAG,What to do?
« on: November 26, 2012, 10:55:27 am »
Hi Guys

I used to be a fairly frequent poster when i had my s3 however since sinking to the depths of driving a mini one diesel then joining the motor trade i havent had much of an interest.

Anyway i have just got an 2005/05 Golf gti in red for the Mrs and was after a few pointers of things i should look for/replace?

The car has done 68k and has full vw history, i got the car for £5k which i think is fairly reasonable!!

The wheels need a refurb (18's) and i plan to give it an oil service.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
Many BMW'S and one bog standard MK5 3dr Golf GTI.

Offline gazon69

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
Re: Back in a VAG,What to do?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2012, 11:33:35 am »
Check diverter valve and pcv valve. Front arches for rust and around boot lid badge also.  Those 2 first items are the most prone for failing. All other things are common sense plugs, oil, filters etc.

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2012, 12:04:52 pm »
^^^ I'd change the PCV and DV for the latest versions anyway. They're not expensive.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 12:06:42 pm »
As above, DV and PCV.

Also, the cam follower, this is also cheap and well worth changing. Then a proper service with new plugs etc and she should be running sweet, prime for a remap then!  :happy2:
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 12:14:56 pm »
Thanks for the replies

gsf will do the pcv valve for £30.85 inc vat although i dont know which verison!!

Wheres the best place to get the pcv and diverter valve? also which ones should i get?

Again same with the cam follower?

Ive ordered an oil filter,air filter,pollen filter,new discs and pads all round for just over £212 which seems cheap (i'll get oil and fluid free from work)

Offline Shorty

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 12:24:37 pm »
Go to VW (TPS) dude, think the PCV is about that price, everything else is fairly cheap too! Genuine parts then aswell..
| Mk7 R |

Vehicle Diagnostics inc VCDS, Vehicle Remapping and any other diagnostics in the North West area, PM me.

Offline Leeds s3

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 06:31:31 pm »
The car turned up and wasnt what i thought, budget tyres and no history on paper plus the car was due a service and cambelt change. When i took it for a drive it felt down on power so decided to send the car to auction.

Anyway the Mrs had decided she wanted to stick with a golf so i just went to a local dealer i have used before and found a 1 owner 2006/06 gti 3dr (which she preffered) in black (again she preffered this colour). 57k and 1 owner plus fsh which i checked with vw/inde.

Jobs done already before we collected the car

New centre cap
Wheels refurbed
Flaking calipers repainted
Mot
New power steering pump
Cam belt
Machine polish - will have this done again though at work

The car drove a lot better than the red one i planned on getting.

The only slight niggle is that the car has two nearly new contis and two new nexen tyres which i will replace.