Make a donation

Author Topic: Replacing door lock mechanism  (Read 857 times)

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 6
Replacing door lock mechanism
« on: November 28, 2012, 10:30:07 pm »
I did post in the how to section but it didnt get any views so thought I'd try here...

My passenger lock mech needs changing and the guide to replace on here is perfect, however I seem to have fallen at the first hurdle. The screw that sits behind the circular tape is being very stubborn...

This one...

thanks to OP for the pic hope you dont mind me borrowing

I can't remove/loosen this screw... Well not entirely true I can turn it as if to loosen however it just turns without unscrewing and so will not release the barrel module which means I can't remove the door handle or take off the outer door skin.
I did remove the other screws holding on the door skin hoping that I could get a bit of space to get behind and somehow loosen but with no luck. I haven't removed any of the interior cards to see if I can get at it that way.... Does anyone have any suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Tim

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
Re: Replacing door lock mechanism
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 11:05:33 pm »
prise the cap of the front and remove the hidden screw.
You don't need to remove the screw at the side, just rotate it so it releases the handle
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 11:19:00 pm »
when I take the cap/sticker off I can turn the screw however it just rotates inplace and doesnt release anything. When I try try the other side that unscrews?

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 10:29:41 am »
when I take the cap/sticker off I can turn the screw however it just rotates inplace and doesnt release anything. When I try try the other side that unscrews?

The screw behind the tape will turn where it is. You do not unscrew and remove it. All it does by unscrewing it is to turn a mechanism inside that will release the lock barrel/barrel blank. Try undoing it as far as it will go without forceing it, then pull the door handle open and you should be able to remove the barrel.

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 12:00:47 pm »

The screw behind the tape will turn where it is. You do not unscrew and remove it. All it does by unscrewing it is to turn a mechanism inside that will release the lock barrel/barrel blank. Try undoing it as far as it will go without forceing it, then pull the door handle open and you should be able to remove the barrel.

Figured from instructions that this element rotates enough to release the barrel however all the screw does is go round and round, no change in tension or movement in or out... I have tried holding the handle and applying slight tension as turning the screw hoping to find the bite of the connection with the barrel but there is no change. When I try the drivers door there is a totally different feeling, as turning you can feel there is a connection to something where as the passenger side just rotates with little tension...

this really has me confused....

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 12:13:20 pm »
it probably has corroded, so try spraying some wd40

there is no access from the inside
Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline bigmig95

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 50
  • I know enough to know that I don't know enough.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,53191.0.html
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 12:18:26 pm »
If it helps, the screw on mine felt OK but the barrel didn't release and had seized in position, it was a ball ache to prise out.  I used plenty of penetrant and ended up prizing it out which wasn't ideal.  Everything after that was a piece of cake though  :happy2:

Offline chowgar

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 12:37:35 pm »

Will try a little more persuasion with the handle then...

You can turn the screw clockwise or anti-clockwise there is no change in tension surely it should 'tighten up' in order to put everything back together even if I cant get the barrel out?

Thanks for the advice guys