Make a donation

Author Topic: Alternative to RNS 510 - Welcome all options  (Read 6591 times)

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
Alternative to RNS 510 - Welcome all options
« on: November 29, 2012, 06:36:19 pm »
Hey guys, looking to update from the standard CD player in the GTI. Looking at specs the RNS 510 looks the top VW one. But what alternate option is there?

I dont want any sh*tty Chinese reps. It also doesnt have to have Sat-Nav. Just an all round good stereo, iPhone / iPod connection would be ideal.

Thanks guys
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
Re: Alternative to RNS 510 - Welcome all options
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 06:52:33 pm »
All depends on your budget. Top end I would look at the Alpine INE-W928R. Giant 8" screen with perfect integration in the VW range with display of the radio and Bluetooth on the MFD (FIS). It also streams Bluetooth audio. It does everything except make the coffee. Aim at around the £1100 with the VW integration and installation kit included.

Another great unit at a really good price is the Alpine IVE-W535BT. I fitted one yesterday and it's a great unit that does everything you need excepting Nav. Being Alpine, you know these units are going to produce the goods. This unit will be around the £370 mark plus the fitting kit, etc.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:10:03 pm »
Yeah forgot to mention, would like to keep it under £400
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:10:14 pm »
Rcd510 its just an rns510 without nav/DVD player

You can pick them up on eBay for £200 and buy a mdi kit for your iPod

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »
All depends on your budget. Top end I would look at the Alpine INE-W928R. Giant 8" screen with perfect integration in the VW range with display of the radio and Bluetooth on the MFD (FIS). It also streams Bluetooth audio. It does everything except make the coffee. Aim at around the £1100 with the VW integration and installation kit included.

Another great unit at a really good price is the Alpine IVE-W535BT. I fitted one yesterday and it's a great unit that does everything you need excepting Nav. Being Alpine, you know these units are going to produce the goods. This unit will be around the £370 mark plus the fitting kit, etc.

Got a link to the second one? Also you know anywhere that sells them second hand or refurbed?  Thanks

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 07:15:23 pm »

Got a link to the second one? Also you know anywhere that sells them second hand or refurbed?  Thanks

Wow that Alpine IVE-W535BT looks pretty nice, just been reading about it....might have to look further into it  :happy2:

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 07:45:43 pm »
Kenwood do an RNS510 equivalent that is very good and works with all the interfaces for the VW including reverse sensors/camera, MFSW etc. VW even sell them through the dealerships. They are £1k new, but I'm sure there will already be a few cheaper second hand ones on ebay somewhere. :smiley:
Golf R gone.

Offline skard

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 245
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,62636
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 07:54:53 pm »
You can get a used Zenec NC2010 roundabout that price now.

CANbus integration for MFSW and highline, Parrot bluetooth, SatNav, iphone playing and charging, inputs galore etc.
Used to have Edition 30 - number 009 and a GT TDI 140.
Now have an S4 B8 Avant (stage 2)

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2012, 07:55:58 pm »

I can supply, and they are too new I would think to be available second hand, although you never know.....

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 08:27:17 pm »

I can supply, and they are too new I would think to be available second hand, although you never know.....

whats the best price for Alpine IVE-W530BT?  and  Alpine IVE-W535BT

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 09:13:24 pm »

That is the best price I can do on the IVE-W535BT. The IVE-W530BT I can do for £285. The IVE-W535BT does display output, while the IVE-W530BT does not. You would also need to factor in the fitting kit which includes the surround and cage and the steering stalk adapter or Iso connector adapter.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2012, 09:26:52 pm »

That is the best price I can do on the IVE-W535BT. The IVE-W530BT I can do for £285. The IVE-W535BT does display output, while the IVE-W530BT does not. You would also need to factor in the fitting kit which includes the surround and cage and the steering stalk adapter or Iso connector adapter.

bit of a noob...."does have display out" :stupid:

and also steering stalk, is that so the button on steering wheel works?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2012, 09:45:30 pm »
Yep, it displays on the MFD from what I can tell. I would need to verify with Alpine though, but I know with the Corsa I did, I had to get the adapter harness from Alpine which allows the radio to display in the central dash display. This also allows the steering controls to work and is plug and play so no cutting any wires or anything. It's superb and a much better option than the cheaper after market alternatives.

See here:

http://www.alpine.co.uk/support/perfect-vehicle-integration-uk.html

and click on Volkswagen.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2012, 09:58:26 pm »
Yep, it displays on the MFD from what I can tell. I would need to verify with Alpine though, but I know with the Corsa I did, I had to get the adapter harness from Alpine which allows the radio to display in the central dash display. This also allows the steering controls to work and is plug and play so no cutting any wires or anything. It's superb and a much better option than the cheaper after market alternatives.

See here:

http://www.alpine.co.uk/support/perfect-vehicle-integration-uk.html

and click on Volkswagen.

Thanks for the info, what happens if your not too bothered about MFD or steering wheels controls. would it just be the stereo and fixing bracket?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2012, 10:00:42 pm »
Nope, you would still need an iso harness to connect from iso on the back of the radio to quad lock in the car. You could go for the cheaper ones, but they will probably need some wire splicing or cutting on some of them.