Make a donation

Author Topic: stupid gritters  (Read 1701 times)

scottm72

stupid gritters
« on: November 29, 2012, 10:37:46 pm »
man I am sick and tired of bl@@dy road gritters spraying grit all over my bonnet.
and this is when they are coming towards me and not driving behind them.
they seem to have a wider spray this year and its like a car spraying up hundreds of stones all over the bonnet all the way up to the windscreen.
if I am at 50mph and he is coming the other way at 50mph that's my car getting all this sh*t thrown on the bonnet etc at 100mph.
is this scratching the car ?
is road grit hard enough to cause damage, I checked the bonnet but don't know if the stone chips on it are new or old,,, this has happened to me 3 times now in the last week or so,,,,
really annoying
views welcome

Offline scopes

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
Re: stupid gritters
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 10:51:08 pm »
 :driver:

Yes scott i have to agree with you big time, so annoying.

I would try & slow down and move as far out of the way as possible... But sometimes it's not possible to move outta the way.

On my way to work this morning behind a lorry, as i was trying to overtake on the overtaking lane, i stone flew up & hit the passenger door black trim, left a small chip...  :fighting:  I have a new set to go on come summer time...

Just hate when things like that happen!
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 10:57:45 pm »
I dont think it equates to 100mph, But thats hardly the point!  :laugh: It is fustrating and not sure there is anything you can do apart from if you see orange flashing lights deploy the handbrake and quickly shank it right. Head in the opposite direction!   :signLOL:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 11:01:37 pm »
It's part and parcel of driving a car over the winter months. It emphasises the need to get your winter prep done so your car is as protected as it can be. Ultimately you can't be too precious about it or you'd never leave your driveway. I'd certainly prefer they gritted the roads, than didn't bother.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 11:07:17 pm »
^^^^ what he says!  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

scottm72

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 11:08:21 pm »
I dont think it equates to 100mph, But thats hardly the point!  :laugh: It is fustrating and not sure there is anything you can do apart from if you see orange flashing lights deploy the handbrake and quickly shank it right. Head in the opposite direction!   :signLOL:
yeah im sure it doesn't equate to exactly 100mph but something getting thrown out at 50mph in one direction and then hitting something coming the other way at 50mph will be 100mph minus the three feet from the dispenser and my bonnet which will prob take it to 90mph but lets not get technical as you say.
each time I get hit I say to myself I gotta watch for these motors, then a few days pass and I forget, the roads I travel on are all b roads, 60mph speed ,limit and just twist forever, usually drive at 40 or 50mph max but there is always cars behind you and the roads are so narrow that moving over aint an option and slowing down is only marginal due to others on my tail as they want to drive at 60mph +,, anyway I never see them until it is to late due to the twisting roads.
very very annoying,,,,, do you guys think the grit actually chips the car, im assuming the council have done their homework and wouldn't design them to do this but at the same time it is the council we are talking about here  :stupid:
has anyone been hit with it yet this year ?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2012, 11:10:54 pm »
It's only a guess, but I imagine they're more interested in saving lives than saving the paintwork on someone's VW :wink:

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2012, 11:13:30 pm »
I prefered they didn't bother and made winter tyres law - the grit destroys our roads.

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 12:06:22 am »
Next time open your window and stick your head oot. See if it takes the skin off your face...if not then your paintwork should be ok.

:wink:
'07 Red manual

scottm72

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 12:39:26 am »
It's only a guess, but I imagine they're more interested in saving lives than saving the paintwork on someone's VW :wink:
Andrew you know that's not the point here, and also you would think they actually know what they are doing with the spray, we know gritters are essential.

with regards to sticking my head out, that's a bl@@dy good idea lol

oh and yes winter tyres SHOULD be law

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 06:05:13 am »
Yes gritters can damage paintwork in the same way stone chips can.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.