Make a donation

Author Topic: so honestly what do you think of the 510 multi function system  (Read 10494 times)

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: so honestly what do you think of the 510 multi function system
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 10:37:54 pm »
It's 4 x 20 watts on the RNS 510.

Shock horror - a helpful post!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 10:39:30 pm »
It's 4 x 20 watts on the RNS 510.

Shock horror - a helpful post!

Yes but is that peak or RMS Andrew?

See not so helpful.  :P

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 10:41:15 pm »
Balls.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 10:46:08 pm »
It's 4 x 20w RMS by the way...

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 11:48:36 pm »
It's 4 x 20w RMS by the way...

I said it was 20w per channel on my post on page 2!  :P
Golf R gone.

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 11:58:41 pm »
gladly take it off your hands if you find something else scott...
fair play for putting up all the info though..been informative to me !!!
 :happy2:
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

scottm72

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2012, 12:26:48 am »
yes typo error
it is as you say 4 x 20w
that would also explain the inability to get the volume above 50% or so on a high base song
4 x 20 w is a bit low for a flagship system but tbh I don't think the oem speakers can handle much more anyway, the way the 10 speaker system is attached to the car makes it difficult to upgrade them, especially the tiny tweeters as there is not a lot of speaker systems out there that will fit into the tiny space on the front door pillar where it is located.

there is after market multi media systems out there that will allow you to integrate things like mfsw, rev cam etc but there is NOTHING out there that will give you FULL connectivity like the 510 will so for this reason it gets a plus point, you will always loose some kind of feature with a non oem unit,,,, a lot of times that is the hard drive.

at the end of the day if you where to pay dealer prices for the set up I got recently it is something stupid like £3500 and im sure EVERYONE would agree - that would be mad.
from the expertise off eddie-nl I managed to get from him
rns-510-h
shark fin gps antenna
mk6 reverse camera
bt module
Bluetooth kit
all cabling etc 
and a ton of great advise
the whole lot for around £1200 and I admit it is a great set up

going by these prices you will be hard pushed to get ANYTHING close to that quality especially when you integrate the pop out mk6 camera, easy enough to find a multi media unit out there for £500 or so and it will do lots of things BUT add up the costs of the rest of the set up and also getting your head around the compatibility issues and the bill will be over the £1200 and be a bit messy as not oem.

now it would seem like I am contradicting my own thread here but if you read it properly I was not at the beginning slating the 510 I was just and am still on the look out for peoples general opinions on the system
 :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver:
as everyone already knows if looking for any parts give eddie a shout, great service, great delivery, great price and items packaged as good as it gets.

scottm72

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2012, 12:32:41 am »
gladly take it off your hands if you find something else scott...
fair play for putting up all the info though..been informative to me !!!
 :happy2:
thank you marko im glad someone has got some info from this
I found a massive review on the 510 although it is based on the American version I think
I read half of it as its huge with fitting guides and video guides, is very very usefull and also tells you things you wont already know
check it out
http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/rns510-VW-GPS-FAQ.htm

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2012, 08:38:04 am »
Just read this and basically agree with what Hurdy's response was to your list.

It should do more for a £2k system but I doubt you actually paid £2k for it probably about a third of that price like many of us did (not including rvc, BT, MDI etc).

Most people sacrifice the functionality for it to look OEM and all the cables to be hidden. The nearest you can get to an OEM unit with more functionality is the Kenwood for £999 that has Garmin sat nav built in and you can get add ons like tv etc which put the price through the roof. Also all the iPod connections etc are on show from the HU which is untidy as you have leads coming out the HU.

There are other aftermarket HU's on the market that do alot more than the RNS and would probably have been a better choice but it's a choice you have to make, basically its looks vs functionality to some extent. Also  am I right you've got RVC as I don't think the you could get the boot badge rvc to work with an aftermarket unit so you wouldn't have that feature.

Tbh it's swings and roundabouts. Personally I'd go for another RNS in my next car (probably get my one moved across to it) as it does everything I need and am generally impressed by it.

Offline monte

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 134
  • Global Ruler
    • Deep-Shine Detail. Detailing-Wrapping-Tints. Lincoln.
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67679.0.html
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2012, 09:25:03 am »
I Honestly LOVE the RNS. I would say its one of the Best mods/upgrades you could ever do to your VAG.  :notworthy:

Don't understand this thread one bit???

Would've been easier to start a poll.

Likey

Or

No Likey.

Offline SI-R32

• Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 125
Re: Re: Re: so honestly what do you think of the 510 multi function system
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2012, 09:55:28 am »
Don't understand this thread one bit??

Totally agree with you I've read all of this and feel as though Scott just loves writing for writing sake, sorry Scott, I see no real point to this at all.
In one line your saying its a great unit, then next its got tons of flaws and u think it should do more.

Best thing you could do is sell it and get something you won't criticize so much.

I personally don't feel there are any major flaws with the system at all, if tom toms so great go back to it.

VW have a great unit, basic speakers which can easily be upgraded Scott u just need to spend some money.  As a whole system it runs rings round a lot of other OEM stuff in a car, so if u want something better you'll still have average speakers meaning spending upto say 1.5k for speakers and stereo.

One last thing its only 3k to buy new from the parts department or 1.8k if u trade in old unit, when bought as an extra its about 2k with the correct roof aerial as well, so most people buy from eBay or Ed or Nick at upto 700 quid,  that's not expensive for what u get its a good price for a great stereo.

I'm sure there is going to be a massively long reply from Scott with lots of silly animated smiles, I can't wait!!

Si
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:16:34 pm by SI-R32 »
Loads of extra's and retro fits.

DSG-GTI

« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2012, 10:31:06 am »
I too do not understand the point of this thread ..... sorry bud i'm not having a go. Even after reading the post a few times I really cant see what you expect people to say about the unit... It works and does look sexy... the user interface is slick, Clear and easy to use... unlike some...  maybe it isn't the best nav unit but I wouldn't know as I have the RCD510 and use Tom Tom on my I-Phone which is in my opinion dam good and always with me whatever car I am in... you pay your money and make your choice.

Regards.

Well i'm bored of typing now  :smiley:  

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2012, 10:57:58 am »
The RNS 510 is a great unit, but there are other units out there, like the Alpine INE-W928R which does everything the RNS does and more in a one box solution and is as OEM as you get including OEM camera and parking sensor integration and does display all the info and BT on the red and white MFD. All for £1100, including the dash fitting kit and harness adapter. It's also much slicker than the Kenwood's I have tried and with the 8" screen a good jump in screen size over the RNS. Scott, if you are looking for a unit other than the RNS, I would recommend looking at the Alpine.

I will be replacing the RNS in my car with an Alpine 928R. The RNS will be going into the wife's new car, whatever we decide on, unless it's the new Mk7 Golf.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2012, 11:12:14 am »
I have an RCD510 DAB which I think is great having the DAB function unlike the RNS 510. It also only cost me £200 (ebay as new) plus £20 for the DAB aerial :laugh:

Use my TOM TOM Sat Nav when I need it.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 03:12:11 pm »
I Honestly LOVE the RNS. I would say its one of the Best mods/upgrades you could ever do to your VAG.  :notworthy:

Don't understand this thread one bit???

Would've been easier to start a poll.

Likey

Or

No Likey.

I concur Monte.  :happy2: