Make a donation

Author Topic: More DV questions.........  (Read 2052 times)

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
More DV questions.........
« on: December 03, 2012, 07:56:35 am »
Apologies I know this is done to death on here but a lot of the info is very confusing so here goes, just a few questions I have before I go and get one as I want to be clear as to what type I want...........

1. Rev D is the older type and is a piston version?
2. Rev G is the latest used on the Mk6 and the likes and is a diaphram?
3. Other than personal preference they are both as good as each other and can cope with re-mapping?, oh and the Rev G makes a better noise? :happy2:
4. Are both types still available from VW or do you have to go elsewhere for the older D type?
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: More DV questions.........
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 08:06:31 am »
Yes on all accounts :happy2:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 08:09:03 am »

It would seem it's a case of swings and roundabouts. JKM use the Rev D, so that was good enough for me in my decision making.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 08:38:52 am »
1. The Rev D is newer than the G.

2. The Rev D is the one found on the Mk6.

3. Apparently the G holds boost better. Speak to your tuner because personal preference does play a role too it seems

4. They're both available from VW
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 01:10:08 pm »

3. Apparently the G holds boost better. Speak to your tuner because personal preference does play a role too it seems

Now that is right  :happy2:

The "D" is a plastic on plastic seal so wont hold boost as well as a totally sealed diaphragm (like the "G").

Both work fine, although i've tried both and have to say, the "G" feels a little more responsive at lower revs and makes a bit more of a "hiss" when I let off the throttle.

Nick @ R-Tech smoke tested a "D" and posted a picture showing it leaking, which sounds about right as plastic on plastic is never going to be an air tight seal, which is why I went back to the "G"

If a "D" does leak, it wont be as noticable as a rubber Diaphragm splitting as it will only be a small amount down the side of the piston, however it means your turbo will be working harder to sustain the boost your map is requesting.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 01:13:16 pm by GrayMK5GTI »
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 01:14:11 pm »
Thanks folks, looks like I'll opt for the Rev G when I get round to getting one. :driver:
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline E30Dom

• Thank You
  • -Given: 42
  • -Receive: 76
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 01:17:07 pm »
I would say rev d on K03 cos of heat from turbo making diaphram brittle and splitting, rev g on K04 cars...

JKM said mine was holding it's boost up to redline when it went stage 2+, and that has a G ;)
Diesel Daily Hack.

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ltcu2c27l9ujgvmujkn065kn0a&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 01:20:11 pm »

The "D" is a plastic on plastic seal so wont hold boost as well as a totally sealed diaphragm (like the "G").

Both work fine, although i've tried both and have to say, the "G" feels a little more responsive at lower revs and makes a bit more of a "hiss" when I let off the throttle.

Nick @ R-Tech smoke tested a "D" and posted a picture showing it leaking, which sounds about right as plastic on plastic is never going to be an air tight seal, which is why I went back to the "G"

If a "D" does leak, it wont be as noticable as a rubber Diaphragm splitting as it will only be a small amount down the side of the piston, however it means your turbo will be working harder to sustain the boost your map is requesting.

Plastic on metal...  :happy2:

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 02:08:59 pm »
Have been through countless number of these posts and I'm still confused!

So to confirm, on a k03 gti, it's better to have the g? I have a 2006 gti, so will I have the d?

Ahhh so confused  :scared:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=ltcu2c27l9ujgvmujkn065kn0a&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 02:10:15 pm »
ON a normal GTI you are better to have the plastic piston version as the DV is exposed to heat from the turbo.

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 02:16:30 pm »
And the piston is the D yes?

This is the first time I've come across people mentioning the heat issues on a K03 up until now I was swayed towards the G simply because its supposed to boost better.

Anyone got the part No for the D. I've got the G No.

Offline Carpy25

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 40
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 03:04:38 pm »
part number I used was 06H 145 710 D but please check this first

Rob

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 04:20:17 pm »

Plastic on metal...  :happy2:

Ah it's just as bad  :grin:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 04:22:38 pm »
 :happy2:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 05:31:28 pm »
I would say rev d on K03 cos of heat from turbo making diaphram brittle and splitting, rev g on K04 cars...

JKM said mine was holding it's boost up to redline when it went stage 2+, and that has a G ;)

This!  :happy2:

G for what's its worth.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~