Make a donation

Author Topic: What to do?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 13
    • Email
What to do?
« on: December 03, 2012, 12:40:37 pm »
I have been looking at new cars more frequently recently and am almost certain i want something new. The problem is i don't know what i want! Ideally i want something 4wd.

The mk5 is sitting at 370bhp at the moment and dont really want to step backwards from that but there seems to be nothing in the market that can compete with this at the moment.

Options:

rs4 - slightly out of budget but might make it with a wee push.
wrx sti hatchback - 330 standard 4wd seem good but is the interior to much of a letdown ?
evo 10 fq 360 - I prefer the evo 8 but due to the amount of servicing etc they do not make for a good daily!

any one else feel like they are in the same boat ?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
Re: What to do?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2012, 01:04:49 pm »
You could always make you car into a 4wd. . .

James on here has bought all the bits and will be doing the convestion in the new year.

The MK5 GTI has the same "underneath" as an R32, with the exception of the spare wheel-well which would need to be cut out.

This means either an R32 or an S3 rear drivetrain can be bolted straight on. Voila  :wink: a MK5 Golf R  :evilgrin:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2012, 01:16:22 pm »
What about an S4 instead of an RS4 and just map it???
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2012, 01:54:06 pm »
You could always make you car into a 4wd. . .

James on here has bought all the bits and will be doing the convestion in the new year.

The MK5 GTI has the same "underneath" as an R32, with the exception of the spare wheel-well which would need to be cut out.

This means either an R32 or an S3 rear drivetrain can be bolted straight on. Voila  :wink: a MK5 Golf R  :evilgrin:

I have toyed with this idea in the past but i lack the skills and the know how!

If i bought the s4 i would be kicking myself asking why i didn't just spend that little bit extra for that little bit more.

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2012, 01:59:35 pm »
Having always drooled over the noise and presence of a nice V8 RS4, I was completely underwhelmed by the drive and power delivery. My GTI felt alot quicker, my suggestion is try one as you maybe shocked by how disappointing it feels.....the noise is AMAZING though! :drool:

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 02:51:10 pm »
Having always drooled over the noise and presence of a nice V8 RS4, I was completely underwhelmed by the drive and power delivery. My GTI felt alot quicker, my suggestion is try one as you maybe shocked by how disappointing it feels.....the noise is AMAZING though! :drool:

I agree that they feel and probably are slower but i am planning on buying a track car next year i just want something 4wd thats solid on the road has a nice wee grumble to it. Always loved estates seems stupid as i am only 24 but i think they look far better than the saloon versions.  :happy2:

Offline markymark

• Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 55
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 03:11:34 pm »
Yeah definately an Avant is more pleasing on the eye! What about an R36 Passat Estate...if you can find one?

Offline graeme

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 03:19:36 pm »
Yeah definately an Avant is more pleasing on the eye! What about an R36 Passat Estate...if you can find one?

Would love an r36 estate but they are impossible to find like you just said :(

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2012, 04:25:46 pm »

You don't know much about that engine then  :innocent:
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline JackG

• Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 31
  • aint nuttin to it but to do it.
    • Distinct Detailing
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 04:32:17 pm »
To be hobest if your mk5 is 370 a rs4 wont have the legs below 140...so out of budget and to be honest the RS4 looks tired now imo, rs5 and S5 etc make the rs4 seem costly imo again....

Im in the same situatuon, i went out in a mates evo 8 the other week, was running around 440bhp and was a great car, handled well, sounded good and i did like it, he took the rear spoiler off and it was black, was lowerd a tad and looked pretty stealth, good car and id have one over my eddie but again, its the cost getting it to the power and diffs etc...pros and cons pros and cons!  :signLOL:

www.distinctdetailing.co.uk
visit website for current offers!

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 04:40:05 pm »
No need to step back in performance

Mapped Stage 2+  8P S3 should be in your budget?
Golf R gone.

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 04:50:21 pm »
RS4's deffo dont seem to feel as fast as they are... I had a B5 RS4 (2.7T.... the V6) it was something like 425bhp... it was quick (as a guy in some big merc that tried racing me found out when he reached his speed limiter and i kept on going) but not exciting at all i dont think.

The other fun thing with anything RS... get the price for normal parts then add another zero on the end... RS Tax is a well known con!
I really quite fancy some kind of S5, they look the nuts... RS5's are mean looking too but way too much for me sadly
Ant

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 05:07:36 pm »
I would have thought the 2.7 Biturbo would be closer a comparison than the later NA RS4 in terms of power delivery but with a flat torque delivery.

At 370 hp AND 4WD your options are limited! :signLOL:

I think the s3 will probably give you what your after when all things are taken into consideration (Comfort/Interior etc etc).

I prefer the look of the Golf R but they are more expensive, some used 8p s3's are similarly priced in comparison with used mk6 GTI.

Ultimately if your after a different car altogether then the s3 will probably be too similar and you could be in the same situation again?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 05:11:29 pm by GTI5 »
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline swgti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 28
  • -Receive: 6
  • GTI owners are born not manufactured!
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 08:40:45 pm »

You don't know much about that engine then  :innocent:

Ooh do tell?
Laser Blue 3dr No 209683, Leather, Monza II's and a few other goodies...........GONE but not forgotten......now in an A4 S-Line Avant 170tdi......god I miss the Gti.

Offline Squirrelofdoom

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 09:35:57 pm »
If you don't mind spending on tuning, then an Audi S3 8L could do you? Depends if you like the older shape or not. The 8L will go up to 400hp but would need a fair bit of work :S