Make a donation

Author Topic: The cost of ed 30s  (Read 9032 times)

Saintsteve

Re: The cost of ed 30s
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2012, 07:57:00 pm »
Stop being a tosser Steve. It's valid point.

Calling people Ed30 owners deluded fella, isn't really gonna go down well is it  :stupid:

And neither is twisting my comments. What are you, a tabloid journalist? :signLOL:

There is a certain camp of Edition 30 owners who seem to think that they've bought into exclusivity, that their car isn't going to lose value like other cars. I personally think they're wrong, and the trade supports this. Granted there will always be people that are willing to pay more for the right car (and good on them), but to say an Edition 30 holds its value "well" just isn't right. In my opinion of course.

Didn't twist anything Andrew.. just past you your shovel to keep digging the hole your digging yourself recently  :signLOL:

Just kidding...

I'm sure all mk5 owners realise that no matter what type of car you own,is gonna loose in value, some quicker then others.

And as you correctly say, in our own opinion. :wink:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2012, 07:58:28 pm »
If it's the right car, colour, right amount of doors and high spec you need (very small amount of them exist) then its going to go to someone who wants that car and will pay what he (and the seller) are happy with.

Just because one guy sells his "Poverty Spec" edition 30 with high miles does not mean the guy with a low mileage well specced car is selling it cheap  :happy2:

It will ultimately be worth what someone is prepared to pay for it  :wink:

I agree completely. I am suspicious that there is less and less of "the right car" around too. With age comes more owners and more miles. There is going to be a point where the Limited Edition status means less and less.

I'm also wary that the MK6 is becoming more and more attainable around the £15k mark, and many potential buyers would plump for the newer car.

Saintsteve

« Reply #32 on: December 04, 2012, 07:59:49 pm »
If it's the right car, colour, right amount of doors and high spec you need (very small amount of them exist) then its going to go to someone who wants that car and will pay what he (and the seller) are happy with.

Just because one guy sells his "Poverty Spec" edition 30 with high miles does not mean the guy with a low mileage well specced car is selling it cheap  :happy2:

It will ultimately be worth what someone is prepared to pay for it  :wink:

I agree completely. I am suspicious that there is less and less of "the right car" around too. With age comes more owners and more miles. There is going to be a point where the Limited Edition status means less and less.

I'm also wary that the MK6 is becoming more and more attainable around the £15k mark, and many potential buyers would plump for the newer car.

Agree the mk6 is now a very good purchase option  :happy2:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=77n40pqa6j6oqec6ql17skpp4r&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #33 on: December 04, 2012, 08:01:01 pm »
It is.. but you just get a run of the mill gti... i like the fact that I might only see 1 other ed30 per month... if that!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: December 04, 2012, 08:03:39 pm »

Calling people Ed30 owners deluded fella, isn't really gonna go down well is it  :stupid:

And neither is twisting my comments. What are you, a tabloid journalist? :signLOL:

There is a certain camp of Edition 30 owners who seem to think that they've bought into exclusivity, that their car isn't going to lose value like other cars. I personally think they're wrong, and the trade supports this. Granted there will always be people that are willing to pay more for the right car (and good on them), but to say an Edition 30 holds its value "well" just isn't right. In my opinion of course.

Didn't twist anything Andrew.. just past you your shovel to keep digging the hole your digging yourself recently  :signLOL:

I beg to differ. You said "calling Ed30 owners deluded...", whereas I said "people who think the Edition 30 is depreciation-proof are deluded". So in actual fact I said noting about Edition 30 owners. Perhaps you read what you wanted to, not what was actual read.

Oh, and mustn't forget the obligatory smilie :wink:

Anyway, lets move on, I haven't the energy for this.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: December 04, 2012, 08:05:22 pm »
It is.. but you just get a run of the mill gti... i like the fact that I might only see 1 other ed30 per month... if that!

You're not wrong, but many people (boring people like myself!) make these decisions more logically. By default I'd always go newer and less miles, even regardless of spec.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 04, 2012, 08:06:49 pm »

Didn't twist anything Andrew.. just past you your shovel to keep digging the hole your digging yourself recently  :signLOL:

I beg to differ. You said "calling Ed30 owners deluded...", whereas I said "people who think the Edition 30 is depreciation-proof are deluded". So in actual fact I said noting about Edition 30 owners. Perhaps you read what you wanted to, not what was actual read.

Oh, and mustn't forget the obligatory smilie :wink:

Written  :innocent:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:10:08 pm by garrardrj »
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: December 04, 2012, 08:10:20 pm »
Good man, I'll give myself twenty lashes for that later on :drinking:

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=77n40pqa6j6oqec6ql17skpp4r&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #38 on: December 04, 2012, 08:11:15 pm »

You're not wrong, but many people (boring people like myself!) make these decisions more logically. By default I'd always go newer and less miles, even regardless of spec.

I did both... i bought my ed30 with 13k on the clock.  :love:

Saintsteve

« Reply #39 on: December 04, 2012, 08:12:25 pm »

Didn't twist anything Andrew.. just past you your shovel to keep digging the hole your digging yourself recently  :signLOL:

Oh, and mustn't forget the obligatory smilie  :wink:

Good man, I'll give myself twenty lashes for that later on :drinking:

Nice to see you've found the energy  :indifferent:

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:13:57 pm by Saintsteve »

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2012, 08:22:16 pm »

Well if someone looking for an edition 30 decides to buy a "Run of the mill" Mk6 GTI for a couple of grand more he clearly did not want an Edition 30 in the first place, I decided on an edition 30 7 months before I bought mine and it took me almost all of that time to find one I wanted with the spec I wanted (there are many higher mileage or lower spec Ed30's around, not many high spec low milers around (richwig's and a few other members cars excluded of course).  :happy2:

I have only ever seen 1 other Edition 30 in Cornwall since miving here in August (a Black 3 dr Poverty spec)  :signLOL:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2012, 08:23:11 pm »
Mines not low any more.. 60k now.... OOPS!

Offline Randeep

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2012, 08:25:22 pm »
Just to add my two pence to this....I have owned a 25th Anniversary and now a proud owner of an Edition 30. I love the way they look, they are both head turners and yes I did pay the premium for both...purely because like any other was after a mint condition motor and the whole exclusive thing about it. Now...they do depreciate but not like a standard GTi by far. I owned my anniversary for 5 years and lost near enough 1k on depreciation on it a year. I paid 10.5k 5 years ago for a 5 year old car. Considering it was heavily modified diesel (hybrid turbo, miltek etc etc) and over 121k on the clock by the time I was done I sold it within 3 days of putting it up for sale! Putting aside the mods, a 1k drop a year isn't too bad.

Baring that in mind, an Edition 30 is about 4-5 Years old now and going for similar prices as the Anni 5 years ago, so hopefully the trend stays the same going forward. I guess the only argument is that the Edition 30 is a petrol and generally Diesels tend to hold their value a bit. Time will tell I guess!
Edition 30....

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2012, 08:25:28 pm »
Mines not low any more.. 60k now.... OOPS!

Mine is 200 miles short of 48K as of today and it will be sold in the next month or two as I dont fancy doing the drive (and adding best part of 4000 miles and £1150 in fuel bills) to Ischgl and Solden (Austria) in my Edition 30 in February and April, one of my mates does not drive the other has a Porsche 911 and my best mate has a 3 seat Van (No good for 4 of us) plus more room for my golf clubs in boot) and more fuel economy as I am now doing 250 miles per week rather than the 40-50 miles per week before the house move.  :happy2:

If I could afford to have both cars I would, but I cannot.

Edition 30 moving on  :sad1: (Hopefully to a caring new owner) BMW 320D M Sport workhorse (2010 model 184bhp) arriving  :happy2:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:35:32 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline rich83

• Thank You
    • MK5 Golf GTI
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2012, 08:27:45 pm »
 :signLOL:

IM gonna keep mine for as long as possible.... cant afford to change it and dont want to.  :happy2: