Make a donation

Author Topic: Best Boost Gauge 2012  (Read 6130 times)

Offline damoegan

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Best Boost Gauge 2012
« Reply #30 on: December 05, 2012, 09:08:57 pm »
It sure did, Rich  :smiley:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2012, 10:37:23 pm »
^^^^
Great looking gauge and stunning second photo, Damo  :happy2:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2012, 10:54:39 pm »

_DSC2932 by Damoegan, on Flickr
[/quote]

so you the buy the gauge for roughly £56,.....what else do you need? does it all come as kit or do you have to buy a seperate boost pipe / kit?
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:27 pm »

but i'm not flying an aircraft, i don't need to be able to make millisecond by millisecond readings in information! at the end of the day, the car doesn't currently have a boost gauge. any gauge is better than none and for my particular usage i don't feel that taking looks into account is necessarily to my detriment.

....I was only using the aircraft example to illustrate how ergonomic design takes into account human factors wherever it's applied. Whatever machine you are controlling, whether an aircraft or a motor vehicle, or a kitchen appliance, the same design considerations apply when the aim is to achieve the most efficient and safe operation.

You can't dismiss or ignore the known ways in which humans operate. Well, correction, you can ignore it all and merely be concerned about how equipment aesthetically looks to others, as you appear to prefer to do. Of course, well designed functional equipemt can also look good but aesthetics alone render something limited. There's nothing wrong with your attitude towards such things but, in my opinion, you are missing out.

Whilst I take opinions regarding technical advice from the knowledgable members of this forum VERY seriously, I respectfully could not care less what they think about the aesthetics of my car. The subjective opinion of what looks the best is personal to me.

In this case, the negligible (imho) benefit of having a slightly easier read out to me does not warrant an uglier (again imho) solution.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #34 on: December 05, 2012, 11:02:32 pm »

Whilst I take opinions regarding technical advice from the knowledgable members of this forum VERY seriously, I respectfully could not care less what they think about the aesthetics of my car. The subjective opinion of what looks the best is personal to me.

In this case, the negligible (imho) benefit of having a slightly easier read out to me does not warrant an uglier (again imho) solution.

....Fair enough, mate  :happy2:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: December 05, 2012, 11:04:13 pm »
Thanks for your concern all the same :happy2:
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: December 05, 2012, 11:14:49 pm »
stop bitching and answer m :signLOL: :signLOL:

"so you the buy the gauge for roughly £56,.....what else do you need? does it all come as kit or do you have to buy a seperate boost pipe / kit?"
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #37 on: December 05, 2012, 11:29:12 pm »
^^^^
The Newsouth gauges come with everything you need and I would expect the other kits to do so too.

Offline chrisr763

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: December 05, 2012, 11:52:37 pm »
^^^^
The Newsouth gauges come with everything you need and I would expect the other kits to do so too.

Oh good, so its around 130 for gauge and vent!  :ashamed:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2012, 12:18:18 am »
I love the boost gauge that sub linked to. Very Knight Rider-ish. I don't need one but sticking one on the cowl would obstruct my view of the dash (already tried it with a cardboard cut out) and I don't want to lose a vent (I normally point it towards the window to demost). Hence sub's one makes a good compromise. I would love to see one in action though.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2012, 04:04:11 am »
I love the boost gauge that sub linked to. Very Knight Rider-ish. I don't need one but sticking one on the cowl would obstruct my view of the dash (already tried it with a cardboard cut out) and I don't want to lose a vent (I normally point it towards the window to demost). Hence sub's one makes a good compromise. I would love to see one in action though.

has more features than i thought. the gauge has boost gauge, EGT, oil and coolant temps, battery voltage, 0-60mph timer, speed readout from the ECU, rev counter with customisable shift light

but what i don't understand is why any non-Audi PQ35 chassis car owner wouldn't go for Polar FIS? they're not compatible with Audis, but if they were that's what i'd be having personally
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 04:06:30 am by sub39h »

Offline damoegan

• Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 06, 2012, 07:15:59 am »

so you the buy the gauge for roughly £56,.....what else do you need? does it all come as kit or do you have to buy a seperate boost pipe / kit?
[/quote]

Buy the gauge (comes with full fitting kit) then get the vent gauge holder from Awesome, I then bought some better quality vac hose to feed the gauge.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 06, 2012, 11:04:00 am »

Buy the gauge (comes with full fitting kit) then get the vent gauge holder from Awesome, I then bought some better quality vac hose to feed the gauge.
[/quote]

Cheers for all the help guys...you have made it such much easier...Gonna buy one this weekend   :happy2: