Make a donation

Author Topic: check out these 16i wheels, are they cool or not cool ?  (Read 10689 times)

scottm72

Re: can i put this tyre size on my gti, urgent help please
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2012, 12:34:10 am »
yes please, go on tell me the cost then lol

£389: http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/16_Inch_100_Plus_Monza_RS_Black_Red_Alloy_Wheels__542
they look pretty damn good, what do you think guys, I know 16s aint gonna look as impressive as 18s but these look pretty cool

scottm72

Re: check out these 16i wheels, are they cool or not cool ?
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2012, 01:00:51 am »
 :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver: :driver:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2012, 08:54:40 am »
To be honest I'd leave the steelies on. Those Team Dynamics would look OK in 18" but as 16" I just think it looks like you've made an epic fail at changing your wheels.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2012, 09:00:00 am »

To be honest I'd leave the steelies on. Those Team Dynamics would look OK in 18" but as 16" I just think it looks like you've made an epic fail at changing your wheels.

.... x 2  :laugh:

The Golf body is visually quite a solid mass, not a sleeky like a Lambo, and wheels smaller than 17" look aesthetically wrong in my opinion.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2012, 09:48:55 am »

.... x 2  :laugh:

The Golf body is visually quite a solid mass, not a sleeky like a Lambo, and wheels smaller than 17" look aesthetically wrong in my opinion.

x3... but we're not here to stop you spending your money.  That would be wrong of a car forum... spending it wisely, well that's probably ok. :driver:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2012, 11:21:33 am »
X4

Leave the steal wheels in place.

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

scottm72

« Reply #66 on: December 07, 2012, 06:02:15 pm »
that's a good point mr parker, that was my reservations as at 16inch they may as you say just look like an epic fail.
in your guys opinions would any 16i alloy's look good or is it not really going to be possible due to the size of them ?
hey I even thought about hub caps lol
thanks for your advise though as I was 50/50 on buying them wheels last night and im glad I posted the thread instead.
I guess I may have these winters on for up to 5 months depending on the weather and I am so glad my car is safe now for me and the kids especially.
the vredestein tyres on the steel rims are very good and the difference is immense.
I know cosmetically it doesn't really matter as long as the car is safe but due to the duration of them on the car poss im wondering should I keep looking for a 16i option that will look good,
or buy 17s as a wheel tyre package
or lastly buy 18s tyres only and put them back on my monzas ????
don't really want to do the last one I guess as im in the process of cleaning / sealing etc my monzas for storage but just a thought.
I paid £400 all in for these wheels / tyres so good deal and if I was for example going to buy a 17 inch package im sure I would get £400 back if I done it soon.
I agree with 16s just looking wrong and to small for the car but if it was 17s ? do you think it would still look ( wanting )
what about you guys, what have you done for the snow ?

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #67 on: December 07, 2012, 06:07:20 pm »
As I said earlier I fitted winters to my 17 inch monzas as I'm retiring them as winter rims and that gives me the perfect excuse to buy a nice set of rims in the spring.

Sounds like you just want us to convince you to sell the steelies and wheels, buy winters for your monzas then get new rims in 5 months!!!

Obviously got loads of money burning a hole in your pocket mate!! ;-)

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #68 on: December 07, 2012, 06:08:13 pm »
got the tyres and wheels fitted this evening,
what a nightmare man,
the guys trolley jack packed in, eventually got it to work then we lost my locking wheel nut key lol
both of us crawling around the snow with torches for 30 minutes, finally found it.
brand new tyres basically and as he said brand new rims although they are steelies but at £400 for the lot it is a good deal
was great guy, very honest, 2 little kids and he then asked me if I was ok with the price at £400, was my opportunity to get it down to £300 poss
tbh it is a good price and I wasn't gonna rip the guy off so I told him £400 was fine, just a nice guy with a 1 year old and a 4 year old so I didn't have the heart lol.
was confused when I took the alloys off as the steelies didn't fit, then seen the red spacer from the back of the alloys where still attached to the wheel, didn't know about them.
anyway the difference is night and day with regards to grip, very happy with them
the steelies look pretty sh*t tbh but I may look for a set of second hand alloys
anyway my wheels need a major wash and wax

as you can see
anyway I have grip but have lost my ooh la la

Needs lowered mate!! ;-)

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #69 on: December 07, 2012, 06:18:54 pm »
I think I'm right in saying that if you get 16" wheels you need to make sure the that edge part of the tyre (sorry, not sure of the technical name!) is higher to make the overall size the same as 18" wheel and tyre combined. If not your speedo reading won't be correct because it's calibrated to work with your 18's. Same applies if getting bigger wheels, you need to get thinner tyres to keep the size match.
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

scottm72

« Reply #70 on: December 07, 2012, 06:45:06 pm »
I think I'm right in saying that if you get 16" wheels you need to make sure the that edge part of the tyre (sorry, not sure of the technical name!) is higher to make the overall size the same as 18" wheel and tyre combined. If not your speedo reading won't be correct because it's calibrated to work with your 18's. Same applies if getting bigger wheels, you need to get thinner tyres to keep the size match.
that's right but it is only a minor difference in the speed ometor, I checked with vw first,
lone par stop attacking the thread please, if I was just going to sell them and was convinced by this then I would, im trying to get other peoples opinions thats all.
yes the car needs major lowered on the 16s but when the 18s are on it looks ok actually and a lot of speed bumps around here so it may be on my list next year but not sure.

im just trying to find out if any 16 wheels look ok or as Andrew kindly said it may just not work

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #71 on: December 07, 2012, 06:53:26 pm »
Nae bother pal keep yer knickers on.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #72 on: December 07, 2012, 08:21:53 pm »

Needs lowered mate!! ;-)

[/quote]

....But if he lowers it he'll have all the problems in snow which mine would get - The front acts as a snow plow and rips out things like sensors underneath.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #73 on: December 07, 2012, 08:24:34 pm »
It. Was. A. Joke. :-) I may be daft, but I'm not stupid.

scottm72

« Reply #74 on: December 07, 2012, 10:16:57 pm »
yeah good point red, don't want a snow plough lol