Make a donation

Author Topic: check out these 16i wheels, are they cool or not cool ?  (Read 10684 times)

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
Re: check out these 16i wheels, are they cool or not cool ?
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2012, 11:40:12 pm »
It. Was. A. Joke. :-) I may be daft, but I'm not stupid.
y
:chicken:oops pressed the thank you button by mistake :ashamed:did realise it was a joke thou :signLOL:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2012, 01:53:33 am »

....I wasn't suggesting you were stupid. Perhaps using a :grin: would have made your meaning clearer.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2012, 07:37:05 am »

....I wasn't suggesting you were stupid. Perhaps using a :grin: would have made your meaning clearer.

Alas the option to add smiley icon things is lacking on my phone. :-)

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
Re: can i put this tyre size on my gti, urgent help please
« Reply #78 on: December 08, 2012, 11:52:14 am »
was confused when I took the alloys off as the steelies didn't fit, then seen the red spacer from the back of the alloys where still attached to the wheel, didn't know about them.

Red spacer? Did your monzas have spigot rings?
If they did then they might be replicas as my monzas don't need a fitting kit they match straight up to the hub

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2012, 05:06:12 pm »
Yes you can see they are replicas from the earlier photo.

scottm72

Re: can i put this tyre size on my gti, urgent help please
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2012, 11:01:28 pm »
was confused when I took the alloys off as the steelies didn't fit, then seen the red spacer from the back of the alloys where still attached to the wheel, didn't know about them.

Red spacer? Did your monzas have spigot rings?
If they did then they might be replicas as my monzas don't need a fitting kit they match straight up to the hub
yeah they are reps buddy, not much choice tbh I bought the car 2 months ago and the garage said the original monzas where fooked so instead of refurbing them which would take maybe 2 weeks up here they put reps on.
tbh they are very good quality and the finish is superb, if not I would have them changed already.
out of interest what is the differences you can see in the picture, bearing in mind the wheels are manky in the pic as where only 5 minutes off the car, normally super shiny.
cheers guys
« Last Edit: December 08, 2012, 11:20:11 pm by scottm72 »

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2012, 11:07:36 pm »
I've got to say, they look like decent reps. The only obvious difference I can see is that the centre caps look too small...

Perhaps the more eagle-eyed can see something else though.

scottm72

« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2012, 11:55:17 pm »
I've got to say, they look like decent reps. The only obvious difference I can see is that the centre caps look too small...

Perhaps the more eagle-eyed can see something else though.
thanks for that Andrew, they put the old centre caps off the original monzas back onto these wheels I think as I noticed 2 of them had some bashes after I washed them and I know I didn't do it to them so I don't presume they came with the wheels which are only 2 months old.
I am going to get another set of centre caps and im sure I will find out then if they don't fit.
wish I had kept the caps as they where coded on the back but I through them in the bin yesterday, I think they where real but you never know.
the finish on the alloys are brilliant, the inner grooves are perfectly blended to the dark shade so tbh I don't know the difference myself but someone will.
I have seen some very poor reps on this forum especially the ones that look like they have been sprayed with a can of silver paint from B & Q, mines wont be perfect and they ARE NOT stamped on the back, instead they have a sticker with size etc on it but who sees that.

here is a pic just off the car

here is a pic cleaned and 3 coats of sealant

and here is the same pic but at a different angle, you can now see the scratches and remember these wheels are only a few months old, although for the first month they had no sealant on them then the second month only one coat of sealant !!!
is this just the way the monzas go ? or is it because they are reps,,, as you can see you cant actually notice the scratches unless you are at the right angle

you can see the sprigot things in the second picture
what do you think guys
thanks again  :happy2:

ps,,, whilst I am her can I ask with regards to detailing these type of wheels.
I have now bought r222 wheel cleaner from polished bliss, non acidic and expensive
followed by 3 coats of poorboys pink wheel sealant applied with their foam applicator but it says on the box that you should use a polish before the sealing ???
I use a very soft woollen mitt to wash or a very soft brush also from polished bliss for these type off alloys so I know the scratching is definatelly not caused by this.
I currently do not use any kind of polish, should I be ??
the wheels are woollen mitt washed with r222
then power air dried with a filtered warm air machine ( cant remember what its called but it was £200 from polished bliss and allows me to dry the whole car in 30 mins )
then I put 3 coats of the sealant on and still got the scratches sigh.
is it just the problem you get with polished face alloys and should I be using a polish between the wash and sealant ?
cheers guys

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #83 on: December 09, 2012, 09:44:37 am »
I didn't really notice that they were reps just that you mentioned the red fitting rings.

My monzas are not the polished type they just look like normal alloys

I only run them from oct-dec before the winters go on and the roads are all getting gritted, I have bbs ch's to run other after the winters come off

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #84 on: December 09, 2012, 11:50:39 am »
I never really looked very close at the wheel,you can tell straight away from the centre caps. If they reused the centre caps from old wheels they may have been reps as well because the genuine centre caps dont usually fit the reps in my experience.

scottm72

« Reply #85 on: December 09, 2012, 12:07:36 pm »
yes but what is the visual difference on the centre caps then ?

Offline Starshaped

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #86 on: December 09, 2012, 12:18:30 pm »
Have a look at a late model passat or mk5 or mk6 next time you see one,most use the same centre. You will see the difference very clear.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #87 on: December 09, 2012, 05:52:03 pm »
Never polished or sealed my Monzas when they had their original finish and I never got that kind of scratched look. Maybe just cos yours are reps?
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

scottm72

« Reply #88 on: December 09, 2012, 09:17:51 pm »
Never polished or sealed my Monzas when they had their original finish and I never got that kind of scratched look. Maybe just cos yours are reps?
it could very well that they are reps which is causing that, I don't know to be honest, I will keep an eye on them though and if they start getting a lot worse I will look to replace them next year.
I had a look at some other golfs today and I still cant see the diff on the centre caps though
here is a pic just after buying the car and the wheels where brand new, 50 miles on them

prob a better pic to see any rep characteristics, I love the monzas as they finish the car off but would I buy another set with the whiteworm problems and the fact they are so hard to keep new looking ? I don't know tbh.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #89 on: December 09, 2012, 09:33:52 pm »
You need some of these :wink: