Make a donation

Author Topic: check out these 16i wheels, are they cool or not cool ?  (Read 10686 times)

scottm72

Re: check out these 16i wheels, are they cool or not cool ?
« Reply #90 on: December 09, 2012, 09:41:53 pm »
You need some of these :wink:

they look darker ? or is it just the picture angle ?
do you get any kind of scratching on them like the pic I posted ?
im guessing yours are oem

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #91 on: December 09, 2012, 09:47:26 pm »
They're satin black with a polished rim, OEM wheels called Detroits that were standard on European Edition 30s.

Offline homesqueeze

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 42
  • Got another Golf!
« Reply #92 on: December 09, 2012, 09:50:38 pm »
Never polished or sealed my Monzas when they had their original finish and I never got that kind of scratched look. Maybe just cos yours are reps?
it could very well that they are reps which is causing that, I don't know to be honest, I will keep an eye on them though and if they start getting a lot worse I will look to replace them next year.
I had a look at some other golfs today and I still cant see the diff on the centre caps though
here is a pic just after buying the car and the wheels where brand new, 50 miles on them

prob a better pic to see any rep characteristics, I love the monzas as they finish the car off but would I buy another set with the whiteworm problems and the fact they are so hard to keep new looking ? I don't know tbh.

Hard to see from that distance, but the centre cap looks a bit smaller maybe?
'16 MK7 Golf 1.4TSI Match Edition

Offline prp74

• Thank You
  • -Given: 37
  • -Receive: 126
« Reply #93 on: December 09, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »
Does anyone have any links to new steels with winter tyres.... Thanks in advance.
mk5 Graphite Blue GTI - Leathers, Xenons, MFD2, PDC, Boot Pop - SOLD
mk7 Pure White GTI - Performance Pack, Xenons, DSG, Leathers, Pro Nav, Dynaudio, Self Park, Keyless, 18" OZ Ultraleggera

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #94 on: December 09, 2012, 10:03:57 pm »
Does anyone have any links to new steels with winter tyres.... Thanks in advance.

You can buy them fitted and balanced from mytyres.co.uk

scottm72

« Reply #95 on: December 09, 2012, 10:06:00 pm »
yeah they do look small in that pic, but when you look at this pic they look larger

I actually cant see any other difference, im trying but I cant see it,,,,,
maybe I would have to see in person both cars tbh,,,,, you see it is really hard to tell.
it could be identical but just comes down to the way the wheels last, do you get the scratches I get ???
in one pic you cant see them, in another you can,,,,, maybe in a years time they will look really bad,,,,, maybe that's the big difference.
only thing I can think of that would cause that would be a softer metal,,,, I mean they are both diamond cut aren't they,,,,,,, if mine are way softer I guess it would make sense they would scratch a lot easier !!!!!!!
am I making sense here lol as im trying to figure it out.
if this is the case I may have to decide if im going to put them back on the car after the winter on the understanding that another 6 months or so on the road will make them look really bad and worth next to nothing !
maybe id be better selling them whilst still in good nick and putting the cash towards either a oem set or something other than moz=nzas hmmm

scottm72

« Reply #96 on: December 09, 2012, 10:20:05 pm »
You need some of these :wink:

they look darker ? or is it just the picture angle ?
do you get any kind of scratching on them like the pic I posted ?
im guessing yours are oem
get some vw valve caps on there  :happy2:
how old are these and any scratches like mine yet ?

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #97 on: December 09, 2012, 10:30:02 pm »
They're quite old to be honest, perhaps 3 years now. They're totally scratch free, but a total pain to keep clean. I have some 17" Monzas for the winter months. This photo shows them off a bit better...

Anyway, I fear we may be digressing!

scottm72

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2012, 11:04:50 pm »
They're quite old to be honest, perhaps 3 years now. They're totally scratch free, but a total pain to keep clean. I have some 17" Monzas for the winter months. This photo shows them off a bit better...

Anyway, I fear we may be digressing!
what a difference an angle makes, this pic shows the real colour, they look very nice indeed.
I still think black wheels somehow makes the car sort of loose its shape a bit, I don't know why but the sort of continuous black makes it look so different.
scratch free after3 years - wow, you would think because they are black they would be easy to keep but as you say maybe not.
im going to do a bit of research into the reps I have over the next month or so, if the conclusion is the reps scratch / fade really quickly I may sell them,, will have to look into it though

scottm72

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2012, 11:29:32 pm »
my centre wheel cap space is 60mm, does that help, what is standard 18inch oem Monza size ?