Make a donation

Author Topic: Would you buy or not?  (Read 7909 times)

Offline GTI-Ross

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 26
  • Learning All The Time :)
    • Email
Would you buy or not?
« on: December 05, 2012, 06:25:22 pm »
Hey up guys, looking to pick up a new double dim stereo. Looking for a while for a RNS510, just cant find one cheap enough, budget is £400 max. so have been looking at a few without Sat_nav as i have a pretty decent Tom-Tom.

Just want one that is half decent and has a rear iPod port so i can wire it into centre console.

what you guys think about this Alpine: http://www.carsoundsandsecurity.co.uk/store/ive-w530bt/

and a Youtube review:

so Yes or No for £300

Or any other suggestion would be great......
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Dan.b

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Would you buy or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2012, 06:30:46 pm »
What about a RCD-510?

Same as the RNS less then sat Nav.

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2012, 06:36:31 pm »
What about a RCD-510?

Same as the RNS less then sat Nav.

is it better than the Alpine tho.....tough choice..
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | VWR SubFrame Mount | VibraTechnics Upper Engine Mount | VibraTechnic Transmission Mount | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2012, 07:50:21 pm »
Or

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-kenwood-ddx-4021bt_p-27461.htm

Seems to be what you're after and slightly cheaper.

I have a Kenwood double din headunit, works brilliantly. Not this specific model though  :smiley:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2012, 08:03:59 pm »
I have the RCD510 DAB and it does most things. If you don't need or want the Sat Nav feature then IMHO its the one to go for. I have had an OEM Blutooth fitted and works great the the RCD and looks good on the display and the touch screen is very user friendly. Also have a 32gb SDHC card for all my music (although it will take ages to download them all and arrange them on the card) and the RCD displays everything on screen ie Artist, Album and Track so no need for any CD's but if you want CD's it has a 6 CD changer.

Oh and it's DAB (via the appropriate aerial) so happy days.

On the downside, no video. Unable to work a Rear View Camera and no Sat Nav.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2012, 08:16:49 pm »
I would have thought £400 would get you a RNS510.  :confused:

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2012, 08:37:49 pm »
I would have thought £400 would get you a RNS510.  :confused:

Yeah looked on FleeBay and found a few revision C model for £350 -£420, so think i will play it safe and get the RNS510 and just sell my Tom Tom.

PS: how hard is it to set up DAB on the RNS 510 - Also does the revision C - H need a blutooth module?

Offline Nodz

• Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2012, 09:02:26 pm »
All of the RNS' require a BT module, as for DAB i think only the newer RNS' have them and the RCD's

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2012, 10:19:21 pm »
All of the RNS' require a BT module, as for DAB i think only the newer RNS' have them and the RCD's

Is the BT module needed for streaming music or using the RNS like a BT parrot ki....does it come with a mic or owt?

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2012, 10:30:17 pm »
The Bluetooth kit comes with a mic. As mentioned only the very latest RNS come with DAB and have seen them for sale for  £780 from Eddie-NL. If you can get a C version or latter for around £400, go for it as thats a good price as they are the LED screen versions.

:happy2:

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2012, 10:59:18 pm »
Thanks MC, what price roughly am i looking at buying a new or used BT module up for?  is the RNS also compatible with a current Parrot BT kit i have do you know?  Thanks

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2012, 11:02:53 pm »
Ross, if you can stretch the the Alpine IVE-W535BT, I would recommend it. It has a load of extra useful features over the 530BT. I fitted one last week and it is a great bit of kit. Customer is very chuffed with it. Originally he was going to go with the 530BT, but after I offered the option of the 535BT, he decided he had to have it.

I can do you one for £370 delivered if you're interested?

It will offer perfect integration and display on the MFD which the 530BT won't do, and if you ever upgrade to OPS parking sensors, they will show up on there too. You do need to buy the Alpine adapter though for this.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline GTI-Ross

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2012, 11:12:46 pm »
Ross, if you can stretch the the Alpine IVE-W535BT, I would recommend it. It has a load of extra useful features over the 530BT. I fitted one last week and it is a great bit of kit. Customer is very chuffed with it. Originally he was going to go with the 530BT, but after I offered the option of the 535BT, he decided he had to have it.

I can do you one for £370 delivered if you're interested?

It will offer perfect integration and display on the MFD which the 530BT won't do, and if you ever upgrade to OPS parking sensors, they will show up on there too. You do need to buy the Alpine adapter though for this.

Would you also need to buy a fascia fitting kit....think there a bit expensive as well. Also how much is the adapter kit?

Offline Squeeguk

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 28
    • Avante Auto - Still under construction
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 11:22:40 pm »
You will need a dash installation kit with whatever after market double din you buy, They are anywhere from £10 to around £40 depending on which one you go for. Then you will also need the fakra antenna adapter which is around the £10 to £15 mark.

The Alpine adapter harness is pricey at around the £70 mark, but does give you perfect integration with song names and phone number details, etc. on the MFD. The one without this option is quite a bit  cheaper. It's is also all plug and ply with no extra wiring involved compared to some other adapters.

So, all in you would be looking at around the £ 500 mark for everything. Another advantage of one of the after market units is that should you ever want to fit an amp, you have RCA ouputs to the amp.

Avante Auto - For all your Auto Electronics and Car Audio needs including retrofits down South
PM me or call 0845 116 8870 for advice or pricing. Special Discount for Forum members

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 11:24:12 pm »
Thanks MC, what price roughly am i looking at buying a new or used BT module up for?  is the RNS also compatible with a current Parrot BT kit i have do you know?  Thanks

I had a Parrot Kit in my car (with my RCD510) before I had the OEM BT fitted and worked fine and will with the RNS. 5KO Bluetooth kits are usually available from Eddie-NL on here for around £170 IIRC. A recent For Sale thread......

.http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51013.0.html