Make a donation

Author Topic: Can you buy an 18" spare steelie wheel?  (Read 1931 times)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
Re: Can you buy an 18" spare steelie wheel?
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 11:31:00 am »

Oh bugger, I never thought of that! Thanks chaps! I'll swap it over with the rear.
......... :happy2:. Not good to have all the power/braking/steering going through one normal size tyre & the other a skinny saver. :wink:

But isn't that why they say a top speed of 50 so it can go on the front?

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 03:03:43 pm »

I wonder how well a set of 4 space savers would do with winter boots on them? proper rally car..cept they have a speed restriction don't they?  :grin:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 03:06:56 pm »
Chris Harris did a DRIVE video where he put 4 space savers on a C63 Coupe, then tracked it. Was rather amusing!

Edit: this one!

« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:09:27 pm by andrewparker »

Offline Gene Hunt

• Thank You
  • -Given: 59
  • -Receive: 61
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 03:23:25 pm »

Oh bugger, I never thought of that! Thanks chaps! I'll swap it over with the rear.
......... :happy2:. Not good to have all the power/braking/steering going through one normal size tyre & the other a skinny saver. :wink:

..........good point but my one of my last cars had this printed in the owners manual so i would be on the safe side if it was me. You think about it even at a max of 50 mph going into a long sweeping bend it would not be good to have so different tyres miss matched on the front?  :scared:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2012, 03:26:33 pm by Gene Hunt »
ED35. Standard factory condition.

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 03:29:17 pm »
Hahaahaa, thanks for sharing that video andrewparker... way to torture those little tyres!!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2012, 06:07:22 am »

..........good point but my one of my last cars had this printed in the owners manual so i would be on the safe side if it was me. You think about it even at a max of 50 mph going into a long sweeping bend it would not be good to have so different tyres miss matched on the front?  :scared:
The thing is , I wouldn't drive at 50 in a long, sweeping bend with this wheel on. I've put a large sign in the back window saying 'SPACE SAVER WHEEL FITTED: MAX SPEED 40MPH' and I've set my speed warning for 40mph, and doubled my braking distances. I've also kept journeys to a minimum, as these tyres are only designed for 150 miles. The rubber compound is softer to make the tyre grippier to compensate for the narrowness of the wheel, and the tread is only 3mm from new.

If I was having this on for a few days, I'd deffinately change it round to the back axle, but as it is only for 24 hours, and 30 miles or so, I'd thought I'd see what it was like if you took sensible precautions, drove well within the limits advised, and took every precaution. After all, these are temporary for emergency situations, and need to be fit for purpose. If a lady had a puncture on a dark gloomy night in winter, She would be happy enough to get the punctured wheel off and the spare on, I doubt she'd put herself at un-necessary risk by also taking the back wheel off, putting that on the front and the space-saver on the back.

I have found that if you treat this wheel within the spirit of it's design, i.e. 'limp-home mode' it is perfectly safe on the front axle. However, if you tried to drive in your normal style, as all these test videos on the net show, you would be asking for trouble. I also found that the sign in the back window lead to other motorists dropping back and giving me more space. They'd roar up my arse, sitting on my rear bumper, and then drop right back having read the sign!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.