Make a donation

Author Topic: Got my polisher but what starter products??? - Newbie - Help!!  (Read 940 times)

Offline janus909GTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
Got my polisher but what starter products??? - Newbie - Help!!
« on: December 08, 2012, 10:52:21 pm »
Hey all, so am just about the order the DAS-6 pro but wanted a bit of advice about the key products i am going to need to get started.

Got a black 06 gti and it's got your standard swirls and light scrathes so all i want to do if try and remove these and leave the body working looking as close to new as possible and finish with a nice deep glossy shine!

i have this in mind to start with,

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_720.html

its the das-6 plus Menzerna Intro kit

including the following...

1 x CleanYourCar DAS-6 PRO polisher

1 x Menzerna Compounding Pads 135mm  (6")
1 x Menzerna Polishing Pads 135mm (6")
1 x Menzerna Finishing Pads 135mm (6")
1 x 250ml - Menzerna Power Finish (P085RD 3.02) Cut 3.5 Gloss 3.0
1 x 250ml - Menzerna Final Finish (PO85RD) Cut 1 Gloss 5.0
1 x 5" Backing plate, 6" backing plate, wrench and D-Handle, Canvas Carry Case

now, is this the right thing to buy, do i need all the above or do i need more??

are there anything specific things i need also in order to prepare the car for polising / paintwork restoration?

lastly, someone recently must have hit my bumper so ive got a ton of scuff marks front left, can i use the polisher on the bumper and is there anything more specific i need to help buff out the scuff marks?

lastly with the car being black is there a specfic product i should go for?

Thanks in advance everyone...!

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
Re: Got my polisher but what starter products??? - Newbie - Help!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2012, 11:21:07 pm »
i find vag paint very hard , i couldnt shift hardly any swirls or scratches from my R. Heavenly Detail recomended megs microfibre cutting pad 5" and D300 but i have not tried it yet

Offline ian_mac

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2012, 12:10:47 am »
Interested in this myself  :wink:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 10:00:29 am »
Generally speaking, that looks fine.

Have a read of this thread before you start: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=63859

Blue tape is important - it's low-tack so easily removable but necessary to ensure you're not pulling dirt out crevices or shoving polish into those gaps. Buy a scrap bonnet from a scrapyard and practice polishing so you get the hang of it. I'd always start with the lightest combo (something like finishing pad and lime prime) the first time you have a go on the car to get used to it. You're unlikely to inflict damage with it.

3.02 is very good for taking out the heavier marks and leaving a good finish but remember that you may not be able to get everything out and with more abrasive pads and polishes, you're more likely to take out more of the clear coat so ideally a paint depth gauge is needed. Menzerna polishes I've found to be fickle (but love them) in terms of temperature - they work better when it's warmer so I tend to stick the bottles in hot water to warm the polish up. Menzera polishes also contain oils which can mask the true finish. It'll look good for a few days but then the oils degrade and you spot where they were filling swirls. Look at buying something like CarPro Eraser to remove the oils. I'd also recomend a decent spotting light. You can even make your own like I did for £20: http://www.detailingworld.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=205820

Smaller spot pads may help for smaller areas eg http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing/sonus-4-spot-pads/cat_19.html

Detailing is one of those things where you can end up spending loads. Make sure you prep the car by not just washing but also de-tarring and claying the paintwork.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.