Make a donation

Author Topic: tyre puncture repairs?  (Read 835 times)

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
tyre puncture repairs?
« on: December 10, 2012, 11:10:26 am »
Another screw, through another tyre, only 2months old :fighting: :mad:
Suprise, suprise Hi Q wont repair it with a plug, so its another new tyre. My last puncture i took to them i had'nt even driven on it, tyre was ok when i left it, in the morning pancake flat. The inside showed very slight marking, get this, only 1/2 the way round, so just the weight of the car sitting on it, scrapped it..
In this world of risk avoidance, are tyre repairs a thing of the past?
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

scottm72

Re: tyre puncture repairs?
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 11:15:47 am »
tyre repairs have not changed, as long as the repair plug does not go anywhere near the side wall when applied,

Offline GTI_UK

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 12:33:31 pm »
As said, as long it avoides the side wall + a %. Nothing wrong with them and I know local to me they're happy to repair/ sell repaired tyres. (So much so that some people even get run flats repaired - which I would advise against).

If you have a used tyre seller near by I bet they would be willing to repair without question.

scottm72

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 06:45:12 pm »
as said above, anyone getting a run flat tyre repaired is an idiot,

Offline nath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:14:32 pm »
Just changed all my tyres , one of the ones taken off had 3 puncher repairs    :surprised:  is there a max on how many repairs you can have ?  ( always concerns me as you don't know how long someone has driven on a flat tyre with poss damage to side wall etc !!  :scared:

scottm72

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 01:10:55 am »
Just changed all my tyres , one of the ones taken off had 3 puncher repairs    :surprised:  is there a max on how many repairs you can have ?  ( always concerns me as you don't know how long someone has driven on a flat tyre with poss damage to side wall etc !!  :scared:
the maximum repair a tyre can take legally is 3 punctures, no more, but tbh I would bin a tyre if it needed a second repair,
also the repairs have to be a specific measurement apart and not in the same third of the tyre ( I think that is accurate to the best of my memory as I used to run a kwik fit garage )
repairing a tyre with a plug as they do is supposed to be as strong as the original seal but it always makes me uncomfortable and it would always be at the back of my mind that that particular corner of the car had a possible weak spot and a possible increase in blowout percentage, that's just my opinion though.
for that reason I would just buy a new tyre tbh unless they where like £300 a piece, golf tyres generally cost up to £140 ish each so I would change the tyre depending on tread left as I wouldn't want to have to buy a pair of them to match wear on the other side.
but yes 3 repairs max buddy  :happy2:

Offline paulw123

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 80
  • -Receive: 47
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 01:45:28 pm »
I get the feeling HiQ don't want to do any repairs, as if it's gone flat there will be internal side wall scuffing if only half way round. They then point this out, say its not safe, leaving you with the only real choice of buying another new 1.
GT TDI sport 140 08plate,RCD510 DAB, leather armrest, euro cup holder

Offline chrisr763

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 62
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 02:37:47 pm »
I can understand them not wanting to repair as the puncture could be in a sh*t spot or its 'just not their thing'.

I would also advise to just get a new tyre. In the long run it could save your ass. I understand they are an unexpected cost and a PITA but its worth it!  :happy2: