Make a donation

Author Topic: Winter Tyres - Confused!  (Read 10287 times)

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
Re: Winter Tyres - Confused!
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 07:38:54 pm »
Have you considered buying a set of winter tyres and wheels off eBay or Gumtree? just purchased a set of wheels and Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme from Gumtree and have been so impressed by the grip even in the wet conditions, we had a little snow in Edinburgh last week and even the little lady noticed a difference driving the ED30 on the snow.

I was a bit suspect of the winter tyre thing but my mate and his constant raving about how good winter tyres are made  me buy a second hand set and have been happy with the performance.

Would Highly recommend the Vredestein Wintrac Xtreme about £120 a tyre i think

I've got the Vreds fitted too and am based in Aberdeenshire where we had a reasonable amount of snow last week. I'm in the sticks as well so the temp doesn't increase like it does in town so that snow is now ice in my street and the Vreds have been great. They are however not so great when the temp gets above 10 degs.

Offline Aparoon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 07:42:20 pm »
I ran winter tyres all year round on my Beemer and they were  spot on, and the wear rate was really good too  :happy2:
Edition 30 DSG, Revo 2+,BSH Intake, Autotech hpfp, Blueflame TBE,  Eibach Sportlines, Speedline Turini's GONE

Offline Janner_Sy

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 07:46:05 pm »
I was a bit suspect of the winter tyre thing but my mate and his constant raving about how good winter tyres are made  me buy a second hand set and have been happy with the performance.

The first time i ever bought some i was in Germany and was repeatedly getting stuck, it was pretty bad though, so much so that i received a 60euro on the spot fine for holding up traffic which made the decision for me.  That afternoon i struggled to a tyre garage, got some vredesteins fitted tax free  :smiley: and drove back to my house as if there wasnt any snow on the ground at all.  

Wouldnt dream of driving to Scotland without winter tyres on in winter.  Hence why i just bought a set of the nankang SV-2s for my car as i neded some new winter tyres

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2012, 07:54:19 pm »
the nankang  tyres are supposed to be very good in the snow

Offline Gladiator

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 4
  • Edition 30 No.1059 - GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2012, 07:56:00 pm »
So do you guys just get your local tyre garage to rotate the winter/summer tyres each time, if so how much do they normally charge for this service assuming you've already gone through the first cycle of buying and fitting the new tyres?

And is there any tips on storing the other set i.e is stacked up in your shed over winter ok?

As you can probably tell, I've never had winter tyres but have had the displeasure of getting stuck numerous times in my DSG Eddie in the dreaded White stuff!!

GONE BUT NEVER FORGOTTEN - Edition30 No. 1059
Currently loving - SEAT Leon FR184 - sunroof, tech pack, 18" performance alloys, convenience and sound pack

Offline ArildStavrum

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2012, 08:12:29 pm »
So do you guys just get your local tyre garage to rotate the winter/summer tyres each time, if so how much do they normally charge for this service assuming you've already gone through the first cycle of buying and fitting the new tyres?

And is there any tips on storing the other set i.e is stacked up in your shed over winter ok?

As you can probably tell, I've never had winter tyres but have had the displeasure of getting stuck numerous times in my DSG Eddie in the dreaded White stuff!!

Cheers folks, it wasn't a trick question but I reckon i will be getting myself some winters now!!
I was about to ask the same question as above, once my 'summer' tyres are off is it ok to store them in my garden shed?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2012, 08:15:30 pm by ArildStavrum »

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2012, 08:17:11 pm »

we charge £13 a wheel which includes a new valve and balance

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2012, 08:19:24 pm »
I ran a set of lassa snoways on my mk4 anni, bought them as part worns with 7mm and some 16" steelies, total £258, ran them for 2 winters, sold them with my anni last year for an extra £200. Well worth the money.

Just collected 2 hankook icebears for the ED30, hoping to get hold of two more winter tyres shortly.

The difference is night and day, not only the traction of the mark, but its the braking that is often forgotten about, so much more confidence inspiring. Just hope anyone behind is leaving plenty of space.

:happy2:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2012, 08:21:59 pm »
i have been fitting a lot of snow tyres the last 2 weeks.They  do make a difference

Do you have people fitting 2 or 4 winter tyres?

Lots of people i have spoken with have said its fine with just the pair on the front, but the rear end will be like a pendulum if it looses traction.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2012, 08:36:31 pm »
i have been fitting a lot of snow tyres the last 2 weeks.They  do make a difference

Lots of people i have spoken with have said its fine with just the pair on the front, but the rear end will be like a pendulum if it looses traction.
normally just the 2 tyres customers ask to get fittted--not had any body in as yet that have lost the back end in the snow

Offline gazbutS3

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 55
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2012, 08:41:56 pm »
I ran a set of lassa snoways on my mk4 anni, bought them as part worns with 7mm and some 16" steelies, total £258, ran them for 2 winters, sold them with my anni last year for an extra £200. Well worth the money.

Just collected 2 hankook icebears for the ED30, hoping to get hold of two more winter tyres shortly.

The difference is night and day, not only the traction of the mark, but its the braking that is often forgotten about, so much more confidence inspiring. Just hope anyone behind is leaving plenty of space.

:happy2:

Totally agree, the difference in the grip on braking in the snow is like night and day, fitted my winters to the old Bora this weekend and they will be on till march. If you have the room to store them, best way is to get a second set of wheels then there is no issue with swapping tyres etc

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2012, 08:47:31 pm »
Question is, is it worth putting them on before it snows/icy?  imho, Naa.  The F1 AS2's are going back on the front tomoz, leave the winters on the rear (I changed all 4)

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2012, 08:52:49 pm »
Put them on now! Bit late if its snowing fella as you'll be sideways down the road if your moving at all.  :happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2012, 08:56:05 pm »
think people for get they are not just snow tyres as they are made to handle better in lower temps than a summer tyre can

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2012, 08:57:25 pm »
i have been fitting a lot of snow tyres the last 2 weeks.They  do make a difference

normally just the 2 tyres customers ask to get fittted--not had any body in as yet that have lost the back end in the snow

My only question regarding this would be the insurance implications. Say if you were to only have winter tyres on the front and not the rear, if you had a prang I would say the insurance company would be less lilely to pay out.