Make a donation

Author Topic: Expensive day  (Read 4928 times)

Offline jamma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
Expensive day
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:35:14 pm »
Took car to JKM today for a service and asked them to look over car and fix anything that needs fixing . I mentioned there is a winening noise at high speeds and thought it maybe a wheel bearing needless to say I was right and also the front suspension arms were perished so had them changed too . So now I am 710 quid lighter and I also need a full geo and four new tyres.

So I have read good reviews on the Vred Sessanta and wondered if anyone has these ? I am currently on falken 458's which along with Pirelli p zeros are the worst tyres I have ever had, they bring under steer to a whole new meaning .

So any comments on the Vreds ? Is see they are soft so wear will be down but dry and wet grip looks excellent and road noise is very good too ?

Cheers

Offline exodus_ste

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 11
    • Email
Re: Expensive day
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:40:15 pm »
I got the latest vredestein ultrac vorti's fitted a few weeks back and I simply cannot fault them! Brilliant in the wet/dry and nice and quiet. They are about the same price as the sessantas too. I got them for £102 each fitted. Look for some reviews through google mate! HTH  :smiley:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 10:44:05 pm »
I've ran a few sets of Sessantas now in both 225/45/17 and 225/40/18 sizes. They're a good tyre, the wear rate isn't great though. I do find the grip levels drop off considerably as the tyre degrades - not too unusual, but understeer can be quite noticeable at times. They certainly don't hook up in corners or provide the crisp turn-in that Michelin PS3s do.

How much are the Sessantas these days?

Offline Frodo-anni

• Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 10:49:41 pm »
Sessanta's are about £95 delivered on camskill at the moment, but Goodyear eagle f1's are only £105 at the minute, seem to get a better rating in the wet performance.

Dont think you'd fail with either choice.
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

scottm72

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 11:02:22 pm »
I rate the eagles as one of the best tyres you can buy, great in dry and wet with good road noise - but,,, absolutely useless on ice, snow etc,,, I mean you cant even drive on them

Offline jamma

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 07:12:07 am »
I ran Michelin pilots a few years ago on my 3 series which were fantastic , I then went for pirellis which were terrible .

Also  I ran bridge stones on an s2000 which are great in dry but after aqua planning on m25 and hitting central reservation I went for Goodyear F1 tyres which were excellent too .

I fancy these vreds though so will give them a go . Thanks for all your comments

Offline edd666999

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 89
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 07:21:55 am »
ill throw my 1p in. Prada spec 2's. Love them...a bit worrying in the wet however  :grin:

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 08:05:09 am »
ill throw my 1p in. Prada spec 2's. Love them...a bit worrying in the wet however  :grin:

Here we go again another tyre thread :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 08:30:40 am »

It might be 'old hat' to you Ian, but the OP has asked for help, and that's what he's getting. That's what the forum is for isn't it? He asked about Vreds, and people are giving their experience, and what tyres they've found better. 

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 08:35:15 am »
My first mk5 GTi came with Vred Sassantas, half worn, and the grip in wet and dry was only okay TBH.

I've had Contisport contact 2's Pirelli PZero Rosso's and now Michelin PS3's. the grip in wet and dry is the best I've ever had on any car, they last longer than the Vreds and Goodyear Eagle F1's, but the road noise is slightly worse. £107 currently on Camskill.

Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 08:36:18 am »

It might be 'old hat' to you Ian, but the OP has asked for help, and that's what he's getting. That's what the forum is for isn't it? He asked about Vreds, and people are giving their experience, and what tyres they've found better. 

I wasn't meaning it in a bad way,just funny after yesterdays posts, I hope no offence has been taken :sad1:

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 08:38:50 am »

You could take it the other way though as the thread started about his expensive day and has gone a bit off post :smiley:

I wasn't meaning it in a bad way,just funny after yesterdays posts, I hope no offence has been taken :sad1:

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 09:03:24 am »
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

No worries Ian, my reply was perhaps a bit strong! Apologies. Note to self: Do not go on Forum pre-coffee!

Offline Sir_dave

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 10:07:13 am »
Took car to JKM today for a service and asked them to look over car and fix anything that needs fixing . I mentioned there is a winening noise at high speeds and thought it maybe a wheel bearing needless to say I was right and also the front suspension arms were perished so had them changed too . So now I am 710 quid lighter and I also need a full geo and four new tyres.

How much  :rolleye: Isnt a wheel bearing like £70 from ECP, and the wishbones £140 or so a pair?

Anyways, onto the tyres, the Vreds are ok, but very soft, i killed a set on track very quickly in the clio for example, & thats not exactly a heavy car. Personally, id stick to Contis and/or Pilot Sports.

Offline gazon69

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 34
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 11:06:11 am »

not wanting to spark a riot or anything but if more people used the search function then they would prob stop the majority  of spats that are occuring a lately as the majority of topics have prob been covered.  :happy2: