Make a donation

Author Topic: Just what you need on a nice hot day like this.........  (Read 5649 times)

Offline T88OMM

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 17
    • Email
Re: Just what you need on a nice hot day like this.........
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2009, 11:27:52 am »
Your are turning you car into an absolute animal Steve  :scared: :scared: I think you are a prime suspect of the slippery slope diesease  :laugh:
TT-RS Plus - S-Tronic

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2009, 11:46:49 am »
^^^ Your not the first one to say that to me recently Tom   :laugh: :laugh: :innocent:

There are a still couple more things to come too  :evilgrin:

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2009, 01:08:25 pm »
Looks like a right industrial unit, have you been doing much logging since the install  :smiley:

Initial loggin on Sunday showed a big drop in intake temps. Typically it was running upto 30-40 degrees above ambient when pushing on for a while (so on a 20c day I was seeing temps between 60-70c) but now the highest I saw on Sunday was 20c above ambient.

The other good thing was the recovery of the temps was a lot quicker too  :happy2:

Stock cooler cant be that bad steve, 30-40 above ambient is what top mounts usually suffer from, i know the ths will run cooler than the stock ic but not double :confused:.

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2009, 01:40:04 pm »
See below on the RR graph for the intake temps on mine, 16.5c day and top recorded temps of 70c  :surprised:

(PS - This is the OBD connected intake reading from the car not a probe, also this was on the car with stage 2 before the HPFP).

[pdf]http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/downloads/x50swp.pdf[/pdf]

I know RR's won't produce the same level of air flow as normal driving but still on the road when live logging with VAGCOM is wasn't seeing that much difference in peak intake temps.  :smiley:

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2009, 03:19:20 pm »
70 degrees is really high, how many runs did you do on the dyno?
Maybe the car was running a little lean before you added the hpfp or the boost was a little high. Suppose they do get hotter on the dyno as the fans will blow around 40mph tops and the car is doing 100+.
Not saying i dont beleive you, just shocked that the inlet temps can get that high, 70 degrees would sap some serious hp :sad:
Think i need to sort me an intercooler out next :smiley:

Tornado red ED30, Revo stage 2, ITG Panel filter, 3" Blueflame turbo back exhaust, leon cupra front brakes, ecs dogbone mount, WALK kit, Eibach sportlines, Satin black Monza II's, VWR/sachs paddle clutch

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2009, 03:25:17 pm »
^^^ I understand Luca, I was just as surprised as you. That graph was from the first dyno run and the car had been running for maximum of 5 mins before (from cold). Settings on that day where B8-T5-F9.

The 70c on the dyno was about the highest I saw, on road was alway much near the 60c.

I never thought much about IC's until I saw on the THS on Revo's Leon and then shortly after go the VCDS cable and starting logging things myself.

I can 100% say I would recommend the IC on the stage 2 or 2+ mapped car  :happy2:

Offline luca

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2009, 03:37:34 pm »
Im at stage 2 now but will be going stage 2+ as soon as carl at revo gets some pumps in :happy2:
May be better to wait until i have bought everything ie intercooler, pump and intake and then have the stage2+ done. It will save me going back and having my sps setting adjusted each time i fit an engine mod. :smiley:

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2009, 03:44:22 pm »
^^^ Agreed it is porbably the best way to get all of the hardware mods done first and then the software to suit  :happy2:

You have a PM about pump's on it's way  :wink:

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2009, 04:52:50 pm »
Your Superchips graph is interesting Steve.

My intake temp was showing 35 degrees with the S3 cooler.

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2009, 10:39:31 am »
Just out of interest, but is there any difference to the intercooler spec for a GTI delivered to a Middle Eastern country such as Dubai? Its around 45 Celsius there at the moment - surely the stock intercooler would struggle with that??  :confused: :confused:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 11:03:07 am »
^^^ It will depend on numbers, but to give you an idea the list price for the cooler is £595.

I will put a Group Buy thread with exact prices later today.  :happy2:

Hmm, seeing that the S3 IC is less than half the full price of that IC, your group buy discount will have to be substantial for me to be interested.
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
    • My Project
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2009, 11:42:45 am »
Anyone know where I can get the specs/size of the S3 IC please???

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2009, 11:44:45 am »
Glad you're Happy steve!

This intercooler is much more efficient than the S3 item with pipework suitable to cater for up to 600BHP;

size isn't everything in this case, it's how the intercooler flows the air and how much pressure is lost.... worth every penny IMHO

so good infact once we had that one fitted to the Leon i spent my hard earned money on two intercoolers for my own cars and every product has been of a consistent build quality and was worth the money, and any of you guys that have actually spoken to me on a personal level will know how critical i can be in regards to hardware and fabrication, i won't recommend something i wouldn't purchase myself with my own money ;-)
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 11:49:47 am by revo carl »

Offline revo carl

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2009, 11:48:31 am »
Anyone know where I can get the specs/size of the S3 IC please???

marginally wider than the GTI intercooler with alloy end tanks (a small dfference in core depth), a good upgrade but never going to be future proof if you're looking for the best possible performance.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 04:15:45 pm by revo carl »

neil@ths

« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2009, 11:52:40 pm »
There have been a number of questions with regards to core sizes...

Hope this helps