Make a donation

Author Topic: Came out to find this had happened to my car!!!!  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 28
Came out to find this had happened to my car!!!!
« on: December 14, 2012, 01:02:59 am »

Car was fine an hour or so earlier but then 2 scaffoldiing lorries came down my road to remove some of thier gear and found this when i went to leave for work  :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting: :fighting:

Couldnt prove it was them as i didnt see it happen and they obviously denied it, was gutted but i know it could've been alot worse....

The glass is ok and still moves using the adjuster inside the car, my indicator is ok and it still folds in and out.

I'm guessing some of you must of had something similar happen and was wondering how much im looking at to get it replaced??

Am i right in thinking im only gonna need the top colour coded half of the cover?

Thanks
Dave

scottm72

Re: Came out to find this had happened to my car!!!!
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 01:33:11 am »
oh dear,,,, crap like this always happens, reason why my car goes in the driveway and the wife's goes on the street he he
looks like just the top you need, I wonder if you could get one at a dismantlers or something possibly already the correct colour ???
im sure vw would sort you out with one phone call but at a price I bet,,,,,,
have a look around buddy

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 02:18:38 am »
Eughhhhhh that's annoying!
Happened to me once,  like u said, least the mirror and indicator still work. I went and bought a new cover, think it was about £25 at Volkswagen, I just walked into the trade part.

The casing came off really easy on mine as it was already smashed. If not, put the glass as far down as you can. Cover the case in a piece of cloth (to protect it) and gently prise the glass out with whichever utensil you fancy. Remove the motor by unclipping the two wires at the back. Then undo the clips and screws and with a bit of wiggling off comes the cover  :smiley:

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 06:45:41 am »
Wing mirrors! Feel for you mate.

Our last house had no off road parking and twice a wing mirror cap was broken. Just get a painted one from eBay. There's a few peeps who sell the caps ready painted either off the shelve or you tell them the paint code and bobs your uncle. Here you go......

If you need them. Codes are - Solid Black (L041) but could be Metallic Black (LC9Z)

From eBay

Ready painted Solid Black Passenger mirror cap, £29.99...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLOSS-BLACK-Door-Wing-Mirror-Cover-Housing-Left-Passenger-Side-1K0857537-NEW-/310399277258?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48453d18ca

Or the ones I bought, cost a bit more but painted by a pro painter in the exact colour you ask for, £43.90...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-PASSAT-EOS-JETTA-PRE-PAINTED-WING-MIRROR-COVER-PASSENGER-SIDE-N-S-LEFT-/230838940891?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bf12b4db

Quality is amazing. These are mine...

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Horatio

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 23
  • -Receive: 39
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 08:45:57 am »
cnuts  :fighting:

some fecker hit my work car thursday morning and left a lovely crease on the top of the wing...right near the edge where the bonnet meets.  :sick:
2007 Black Magic DSG Golf GTI Edition 30. No.1231
.:R32 "milk and juice come in 2 litres"
I run a dirty campervan, need scrubbers

Offline Dave_TDI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 03:20:23 pm »
I have a spare in my shed but its r32 blue, cant remember if its the i/s or n/a though but i will check for you, you can have it for £20 or something as its not being used

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2012, 12:39:17 am »
Wing mirrors! Feel for you mate.

Our last house had no off road parking and twice a wing mirror cap was broken. Just get a painted one from eBay. There's a few peeps who sell the caps ready painted either off the shelve or you tell them the paint code and bobs your uncle. Here you go......

If you need them. Codes are - Solid Black (L041) but could be Metallic Black (LC9Z)

From eBay

Ready painted Solid Black Passenger mirror cap, £29.99...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GLOSS-BLACK-Door-Wing-Mirror-Cover-Housing-Left-Passenger-Side-1K0857537-NEW-/310399277258?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item48453d18ca

Or the ones I bought, cost a bit more but painted by a pro painter in the exact colour you ask for, £43.90...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VW-GOLF-PASSAT-EOS-JETTA-PRE-PAINTED-WING-MIRROR-COVER-PASSENGER-SIDE-N-S-LEFT-/230838940891?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35bf12b4db

Quality is amazing. These are mine...

Thanks mate the first ebay link was what i found too but wondered if i'd notice the differnce in colour being a gloss black  :confused: For the extra £10 or so i'll probably try the other guy you got yours from, look spot on  :happy2:

Dave

Offline Little_Dave

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2012, 12:41:53 am »
Eughhhhhh that's annoying!
Happened to me once,  like u said, least the mirror and indicator still work. I went and bought a new cover, think it was about £25 at Volkswagen, I just walked into the trade part.

The casing came off really easy on mine as it was already smashed. If not, put the glass as far down as you can. Cover the case in a piece of cloth (to protect it) and gently prise the glass out with whichever utensil you fancy. Remove the motor by unclipping the two wires at the back. Then undo the clips and screws and with a bit of wiggling off comes the cover  :smiley:

Thanks Rachael i'll give that a go  :wink: be easier to see what im dealing with once i get the old broken one off and see the inside clips and bits of the new one  :happy2:

Dave

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2012, 02:26:42 am »
No worries. It's annoying but it could have been worse, that's the best way to think about it (thats what i thought and it stopped me from being peed off for too long anyway!)

Hope you get it sorted cheaply and quickly  :happy2: