Make a donation

Author Topic: What will you choose?  (Read 5092 times)

Offline dan930

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 56
What will you choose?
« on: December 14, 2012, 11:21:39 am »
Been seriously thinking of selling the eddy & get a 5dr golfR dsg,while searching the autotrader I also checked out the e90 m3 dct 4dr...can be had for golfR money..very tempting..what will you choose??

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: What will you choose?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:24:22 am »
if you're not bothered about all weather driveability then M3 all day long
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 11:30:13 am »
Golf R or M3.  Im not sure you can even compare them can you!!!!  M3 all day long.

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 11:35:56 am »
I'd choose the M3, though the performance of the R is probably more useable in normal everyday driving.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 11:38:39 am »
Common misconception that RWD = certain death in winter. Right tyres and they're fine. DCT even has a snow mode.

I ran my 135i all year round, my mate has run his M3 likewise on a set of Michelin Alpins. The rest of the world cope fine, we're slowly catching on to being on the right tyres for the season.
Sideways yo!

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 10
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 11:41:46 am »
And just bare in mind the fuel economy - The M3 will guzzle, no matter how you drive it - My old V8 RS4, even driving at 60mph, would barely scrape high twentys, a Golf R will hit 40 - But do you buy this sort of car for economy........

If you go M3 get the updated sat nav model, I think 2012 onwards, it makes a massive difference.  The M3 is also a £50k plus car and will have £50k running costs
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline dan930

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 11:50:22 am »
And just bare in mind the fuel economy - The M3 will guzzle, no matter how you drive it - My old V8 RS4, even driving at 60mph, would barely scrape high twentys, a Golf R will hit 40 - But do you buy this sort of car for economy........

If you go M3 get the updated sat nav model, I think 2012 onwards, it makes a massive difference.  The M3 is also a £50k plus car and will have £50k running costs

Hi mate..won't b able to afford a 12plate m3,it's going to be 08-09 reg...how many miles did you get from a tank on the rs4 mate??i think the m3 might be just a bit better on mpg due to it having 7gears on the dct model..

MK6 golfR dsg
AKS TUNED
NORTECH PERFORMANCE HTA3071
R TECH custom map

Offline RobboGTI

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 7
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:51:08 am »
As much as I love the M3 I think I'd honestly get a golf R. Absolutely love my GTI and all it's little extras. The only car I'd wanted a newer version of what I already have. I really do love the Golf R and will most definately be my next car!

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:58:49 am »
M3 with winter boots are fine in this weather. 

As much as I like the GolfR, it's basically an Ed30 with 4wd - the M3 look soo much more expensive (as they were).

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 12:02:26 pm »

This is the thing to watch out for. I would go the M3 all day if I could afford it (inc the running costs) :happy2:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 12:05:23 pm »

This is the thing to watch out for. I would go the M3 all day if I could afford it (inc the running costs) :happy2:

I was just thinking the same thing; hate to think about the runing costs of a V8 M3...
If it's just the speed factor then a Stage 3 Ed30 are quicker.

Offline tony_danza

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 112
  • The voice of objective reason, but mine's best.
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 12:06:03 pm »
A DCT M3 will do mid 20s, cost you a fair bit in rubber, but is no more to service than a Golf R. Late '09 gets you the updated iDrive/hard drive Nav.

They've also already taken a massive hit on depreciation, so you don't stand to lose that much, E46s are still in late teens. A Golf R has a fair way to fall, still being relatively new. They're also much nicer and cheaper on 18s.
Sideways yo!

Offline Poverty

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 12:16:12 pm »
Coming from modded eddy the pace of the m3 will probably be a bit of a let down, but I suppose it depends what you want from your car really.

The GolfR is obviously the ultimate all rounder, and most people I know who has done the switch from hot hatch based cars to NA super saloons always make the switch back to turbo power a year or two later.

Obviously the m3 has the looks, badge and noise, but from a everyday perspective I don't think it's all that, or what the media build it up to be.

However in life sometimes you just need to scratch an itch and find out for yourself. You could very well love it for totally different reasons compared to your current or previous vehicles.

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 12:18:51 pm »
Coming from modded eddy the pace of the m3 will probably be a bit of a let down, but I suppose it depends what you want from your car really.

The GolfR is obviously the ultimate all rounder, and most people I know who has done the switch from hot hatch based cars to NA super saloons always make the switch back to turbo power a year or two later.

Obviously the m3 has the looks, badge and noise, but from a everyday perspective I don't think it's all that, or what the media build it up to be.

However in life sometimes you just need to scratch an itch and find out for yourself. You could very well love it for totally different reasons compared to your current or previous vehicles.

I have a few of these, the R32 being one (always wanted one) but will have to see if they ever get scratched.
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 12:46:50 pm »

The M3 will be so much better to drive though. A Golf irrelevant of whether it has GTI, ed30 or R after its name will be completely numb and soft against an M3.