Make a donation

Author Topic: How long realistically??  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 243
  • -Receive: 2
How long realistically??
« on: December 12, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »
Had my 2006 gti since this time ish last year and seems to be costing me some money regularly of late.
Air con compressor went so replaced it, just had new MOT with two tyres needed (take on board this is wear and tear)
Now been advised needs new dual mass fly wheel and clutch. It has 99k on the clock with fvwsh, belt and pump bits all changed etc so I'm just wondering before I spend more money on it for DMF/Clutch how long do these motors go for mileage wise? Love the car just don't want it to turn into money pit taking on board wear and tear.  :sad1:

Nasir

Re: How long realistically??
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 09:25:07 pm »
Good question, my friend has a GTI now on 120k miles and it's still going strong. It's cost him nothing in maintenance really since 80k. No clutch issues because it's a DSG, bit jerky but that's cus he hasn't bothered to change the oil ever.

All of the items (except the AC compressor, which could have happened at any point) are wear and tear. Annoying, but all predictable.

Offline MC71

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 09:37:54 pm »
Many many peeps on here with cars well into the 100 k miles now with no more than the usual wear and tear items. Clutch is one of those I'm afraid. If you keep it all up to date with the servicing then you should be ok for a while to come.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 10:32:57 pm »
If you look after her and carry out the required maintenance, it should still cost you a lot less than selling and upgrading.
'07 Red manual

scottm72

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 12:34:36 am »
99k and needs a clutch, just one of those things, I asked myself the same question about my wifes mk4 golf, 03 plate and needed a new catalytic convertor last year along with the 2 lamba sensors,,,, cost £1000 just for that alone due to them being oem parts,,,, on an 03 golf that's a lot but tbh if I sold the car I prob would just have bought another with problems for the money I would have got for it,
all in all golfs are good reliable cars and although hers is only worth around £2.5k she wouldn't sell it for £5k as it is solid, had it from new and we know it back to front.
just one of these things mate with the clutch, if she is a good car keep her  :driver: :driver: :driver:

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 09:51:16 am »
Keeping it!!! Question is now when best to get it done? Will it do more damage then good if I leave it after Xmas??

Offline mvb12

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 64
  • VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 10:42:26 am »
VW cars are durable buggers and last a bloody lifetime. TBH you can change to another make and get problems with a car thats done half the mileage yours has done.

for the clutch, its just an item all cars need sorting at some stage.if it feels like it can go anytime soon then i would get it sorted ASAP but if not, then hold off til the new year.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 11:15:56 am by mvb12 »
VCDS HEX NET / VCP / ODIS - COVERING LONDON AND MIDLANDS
VCDS - Adaptations * Coding * Diagnostics PM Me
Canbus Gateway - Supply and fit (Stop battery drain issues)

Offline AndyED30

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 11
  • ED30
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 11:12:25 am »
Had my 2006 gti since this time ish last year and seems to be costing me some money regularly of late.
Air con compressor went so replaced it, just had new MOT with two tyres needed (take on board this is wear and tear)
Now been advised needs new dual mass fly wheel and clutch. It has 99k on the clock with fvwsh, belt and pump bits all changed etc so I'm just wondering before I spend more money on it for DMF/Clutch how long do these motors go for mileage wise? Love the car just don't want it to turn into money pit taking on board wear and tear.  :sad1:

Check out the forum offers page, 20% off Sachs clutch kits  :happy2:

http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,54591.0.html

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 11:19:37 am »
105k on original clutch and FW.  Stage 1 since 75k, feels fine.

Offline alackofspeed

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 24
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 11:25:39 am »
VAG design spec' is 300,000 kms before items other than wear and tear components need replacing / overhaul. Make of that what you will.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 12:29:22 pm by alackofspeed »

Offline Rustybear

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 11:45:00 am »
 Thanks for all the info!!! Just bought Sachs clutch, flywheel and concentric bit and booked in to be done next week. Can't wait to feel the difference this makes to the drive, stage 1 remap next after new dv. Thanks again  :smiley:

Offline Kalpsn2000

• Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 56
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 11:57:36 am »
I was going to say keep it, but obviously you are :happy2:

The cost of selling and upgrading will be more than replacing the parts and doesn't guarantee a trouble free car.

I'm planning on going stage 1 in the next few weeks, after replacing the DV. Can't wait :party:
Diamond Black 2007 (56) Golf GTI 3Dr DSG ¦ 18" Monza II's ¦ Cruise control ¦ MFSW ¦ Highline ¦ Rear parking sensors ¦ PDT Stage 1 ¦ Forge Twintake ¦ H&R Sport Springs ¦ NQSBBK ¦ R32 Rear bumper ¦ BCS Powervalve Sports R32 style TBE ¦ Valeo LED Rear Lights ¦ Xenon lights with HID kit ¦ DNX521DAB ¦ 12mm Spacers all round ¦

Offline nath

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 06:21:43 pm »
Do as your doing and keep it along with service schedule s ( what else will you get for the same money , fun and street cred ? Every one loves the golf Gti's . I have a mk5  Gti now and love it . Had mk1 mk2 mk4 and now mk5 ,  still love the mk1 and 2 tho .  :driver: :happy2:

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 11:26:31 pm »
My sooty Jetta is nearly on 120k and i have done nearly 60k in less that 2 years and mine still feels good. I am quite hard on it since dropping it on B12 kit.

Like nath still love the old mk2 but with a boot of course.

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline chocice

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2012, 12:15:47 am »
I think when you get around 100k its time to evaluate if its worth trading for something newer as I always find this is the mileage that really puts people off buying a car due to wear and tear on components, no doubt the engine will be fine but other bits and pieces will fail