Make a donation

Author Topic: Hand job or not?  (Read 3462 times)

Offline chris s

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 6
Hand job or not?
« on: December 16, 2012, 07:22:27 pm »
What's would people suggest is the best thing to do, I have no spare time at the moment with a new job and 9mth old twins so wondered what I should do, leave my car until I find some time or get my car washed regularly in the local hand wash place? If I leave it I would only be Able to wash the car every 6ish weeks
Candy White Edition 30 DSG
Revo Stage 2+
ITG, BCS TBE, Autotech HPFP
WALK
R32 Brake upgrade
S3 IC upgrade

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Hand job or not?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 07:25:59 pm »
Right now I'd be trying to at minimum use a power washer on it once a week, until Spring.

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 07:27:19 pm »
Right now I'd be trying to at minimum use a power washer on it once a week, until Spring.

Agreed. Avoid local hand wash places at all costs!!

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 07:29:31 pm »

There was a thread recently where someone had taken it to a local car wash and they had badly damaged his paint work. I can't remember who it was though...

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 07:30:47 pm »

There was a thread recently where someone had taken it to a local car wash and they had badly damaged his paint work. I can't remember who it was though...

Can remember that thread as well, think it was called something like "6 reasons not to use the local hand wash place" ?

Offline Andy

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 442
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 07:33:16 pm »
thought with the title it was some thing else :grin:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:36:31 pm »

Can remember that thread as well, think it was called something like "6 reasons not to use the local hand wash place" ?

This is it - http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47262.0.html

So yeah, don't use your local hand wash!

Offline Ranbeer Singh

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 2
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 07:38:15 pm »
Re: subject title

Yes please  :laugh:

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 07:48:12 pm »
to try and steer this thread back on topic.....

If you can spare a couple of hours to give the car a once over and get some sort of protection wax down, that would be best.
After that, through the winter months, mimimise contact with the paintwork due to the increase of general crap thats stuck to the paint work.

Today, i managed to give a quick wash and a coat of Collinite 476 down. I had already done a pre winter detail last week.

This will be the last time i hand wash the car for a few months. To keep the salt and crap to a minium, i take my car to a local tesco petrtol station, spray the whole car with Valet pro citrus pre wash (sprayed from a 5 litre pressure pump thingy) and then rinsed using the power washer at the petrol station.

I plan to do this every couple of weeks and will only take 20 mins tops!  :happy2:

Hope this helps

Rich

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 07:51:06 pm »
Even if it's not the best result; get as much salt off the car as you can when you can, it's better than leaving it 6 weeks, imho.

If these means an automated car wash, so be it... but your probably better off using that time with the manual service pressure washer on the underside / brakes / suspension / exhuast etc. areas...

Offline paulk

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 08:10:42 pm »
i have been doin a rush job on my car ,bein so busy....Its goin to take me a while to get it back up to pristine  :sad1:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 09:44:55 pm »
Even if it's not the best result; get as much salt off the car as you can when you can, it's better than leaving it 6 weeks, imho.

If these means an automated car wash, so be it... but your probably better off using that time with the manual service pressure washer on the underside / brakes / suspension / exhuast etc. areas...

Sorry but  :scared:

If you have time to take it to the car wash you only need an extra 20 mins top to wash it yourself with the 2 bucket method. If you are really quick you may even get a layer of wax on it too.  :happy2:

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 11:27:03 pm »

If you have time to take it to the car wash you only need an extra 20 mins top to wash it yourself with the 2 bucket method. If you are really quick you may even get a layer of wax on it too.  :happy2:

This guy has no time.
He wants the quickest method.
That has been suggested to him.
Esp.
When the temps really drop you don't want to be dropping water onto your driveway to create an ice rink...
Paint comes with a 10year+ warranty.
Get it off your components first.
IMO.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 08:25:13 am »

This guy has no time.
He wants the quickest method.
That has been suggested to him.
Esp.
When the temps really drop you don't want to be dropping water onto your driveway to create an ice rink...
Paint comes with a 10year+ warranty.
Get it off your components first.
IMO.

No, definitely avoid an automated car wash.

Advice above (apart from these posts) is sound. Try and get something on the paint via a spray gun to break down the dirt, then jet wash off at a minimum. Avoid all other contact with the paintwork.

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2012, 08:33:47 am »
A sponge isn't ok but a 100PSI jet of water is!? Interesting.