Make a donation

Author Topic: Lightweight battery  (Read 5541 times)

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Lightweight battery
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2012, 09:16:51 pm »
 :happy2:

(PS there's no R in my name - my forum name is a clue to the spelling  :wink:)
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Aaroncupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 3
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2012, 10:43:07 pm »

I have the TR-B1100  Tomioka Racing Battery, the reason I went for it over the braille B14115 was it had a two year warranty,

I have had the battery for about 14 months, you would probably get about 4 odd days out of it if the car hasnt been drove, you can give it a charge tho and its spot on again,

My car has started to have trouble starting over this past while tho, the battery must be on its way out, glad I took the tomioka with the two year warranty,

I got my battery of Linden batteries, the guy there is called Paul, sound fella, I have contacted them about mine so im waiting to see what they say,

Offline Hurdy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 52
  • -Receive: 137
« Reply #17 on: December 02, 2012, 06:03:26 am »
I too have a Tomioka battery. 6.8kg, so a decent weight saving. :happy2:
Golf R gone.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #18 on: December 02, 2012, 10:57:21 am »
but the Braille is 5.2kg, and is a "daily" battery rather than a "racing" battery - plus it may well be left for more than 4 days at a time so if aaron's review is anything to go by it wouldn't be suitable for my intended usage
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #19 on: December 02, 2012, 11:07:01 am »
My varley red top can go 2 weeks plus without the car being run with no issues. IIRC it's 7kg.

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2012, 11:09:29 am »
My varley red top can go 2 weeks plus without the car being run with no issues. IIRC it's 7kg.

do you have a supplier mate?

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2012, 11:10:34 am »
I got mine from Demon Tweeks, and it's the Red Top 25

[pdf]http://www.varleyredtop.com/pdf/1_vrt25.pdf[/pdf]

Offline Tfsi_Mike

• Thank You
  • -Given: 241
  • -Receive: 309
  • Go Large or Go Home
    • Tfsi Mikes Money Pit AKS / TTE / RTech St2+ Cupra
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,32721.msg402587.html#msg402587
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2012, 11:27:07 am »
I got mine from Demon Tweeks, and it's the Red Top 25

[pdf]http://www.varleyredtop.com/pdf/1_vrt25.pdf[/pdf]

Mine

Length: 5.8"
Width: 3.3"
Height: 5.9

My battery tray for the Tomika / Braille is 6mm short in width of being able to fit that varley in

Offline Aaroncupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2012, 11:29:42 am »

This is the braille battery spec,

B14115 - Braille No-Weight Daily Use Battery (11.5lb)
Specifications:
Weight: 11.5 lb or 5.2kg
Length: 5.8"
Width: 3.3"
Height: 5.9
PCA: 700
Voltage: 12
CCA: 360
AH: 15
Warranty: 1 Year Free Replacement

The battery that started the revolution – The B14115 is the most popular lightweight automotive specific battery on the market today! With a weight of only 11.5 pounds and plenty of power to start V-8 engines, see why racers and car designers demand this battery.

Braille Lightweight Battery, model B14115. Designed for daily and race use in most vehicle applications. With over 900 Pulse Cranking Amps and weighing under 11.5 pounds this battery will provide the power needed for most production vehicles and save between 20 - 50 pounds over a stock battery.

Technological features:
- Factory Sealed Valve Regulated Design Eliminates damage from Acid Spills
- Environmentally SafeHigh Density Oxide. This enables Braille to produce a "High-Cycling" lightweight battery
- Heat Sealed Top Battery Cover Eliminates Electrolyte leakage
- Absorbed Demineralized Electrolyte Improves service life and off-season storage
- Heavy Duty Automotive PostsResist Damage from Vibration of Heavy Use
- Easy installation
- Calcium Full Frame Power Path Grids Provide Highest Cranking Amp to Weight Ratio
- Lowest Self-Discharge Rate 

This is the TR spec,

TR-B1100 - Tomioka Racing Battery 11.5 lbs / 5.45 Kg
By far the most popular battery among sports compact owners. At under 12 lbs, TR-B1100 has great all around performance for small displacement motors.TR Battery utilizes Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology which increases specific power and ride quality and environmental safety. The design allows the battery to be mounted in a variety of positions and to accept automotive terminals vertically and horizontally. Included with each TR Battery are quality brass SAE terminals, designed to distribute the electrical load battery for high amperage, high stress use of racing and audio applications.

Features:
- Leak-Proof Pressurized System design is engineered for safety and long life.
- Sealed, Valve-Regulated, Maintenance-Free Design eliminates damage from acid spills and corrosion, environmentally safe. 100% recyclable.
- Heat-Sealed cover eliminates electrolyte leakage and improves reliability.
- Molded Top & Side Connection terminal design provides ease of installation, increased strength and durability.
- Stainless Steel terminal threads to keep the terminals intact under vibration
- Low discharge rate during storage
- 2 Years Warranty

Specifications
Model Number TR-B1100
Length 5.9 inches / 150mm
Width 3.5 inches / 89mm
Height 5.8 inches / 148mm
Weight 12 lbs / 5.45 Kg
Voltage 12V
Full Charged 13.8V
CCA 325 Amp
Capacity 14 Amp/Hour @ 10AH Rating

The four days is worst case guys, you could probably get longer out of it, I dont really think its an issue anyway as you can just stick the charger on if its starting to sound a bit slow on turnover, you are getting a nice weight saving here, I could feel the difference + if your driving your car it shouldnt be an issue,

The braille does look like it could be slightly better option if your car is sitting about, but then I would question why anybody would want one of them if there car was sitting about all the time and they wernt prepared to charge it up,

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2012, 12:29:53 pm »
i don't mind charging it, but as mentioned in one of the posts above i don't live with the car anymore. the car sits on my parents' drive in Yorkshire whilst i attend uni in London. if i had it i'd be prepared to charge it, but if i had it it wouldn't be sat about  :driver:

thing is now that it's basically being used as a shopping trolley by my parents/sister can i justify fitting a lightweight battery. i'm all for weight saving, but aside from on the V5 and paying for major servicing costs it's not really "my" car anymore :sad1:
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 12:32:02 pm by sub39h »

Offline Aaroncupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2012, 02:34:00 pm »

Looking at your mod's I would get it anyway  :signLOL:, but dont be listening to me  :evilgrin:

On a serious note, I probably wouldnt bother then as im sure the parents/sister wouldnt be to happy if the car wouldnt start while they were out shopping   :sad1:

TFSI Mike said he was going to try this one below out   :P

TR-B600 - Tomioka Racing Battery 6 lbs/2.9 Kg
TR-B600 is the lightest battery in TR Battery line-up and only £108 exc VAT. TR Battery utilizes Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) technology which increases specific power, ride quality and environmental safety. The design allows the battery to be mounted in a variety of positions and to accept automotive terminals vertically and horizontally. Included with each TR Battery are high quality brass SAE terminals, designed to distribute the electrical load in and out of the battery for high amperage, high stress use of racing and audio applications.

Features:
- Leak-Proof Pressurized System design is engineered for safety and long life.
- Sealed, Valve-Regulated, Maintenance-Free Design eliminates damage from acid spills and corrosion, environmentally safe. 100% recyclable.
- Heat-Sealed cover eliminates electrolyte leakage and improves reliability.
- Molded Top & Side Connection terminal design provides ease of installation, increased strength and durability.
- Stainless Steel terminal threads to keep the terminals intact under vibration
- Low discharge rate during storage
- 2 Years Warranty

Specifications
Length 5.9 Inches / 150mm
Length 5.9 Inches / 150mm
Width 3.5 inches / 99mm
Height 4.2 inches / 107mm
Weight 6.4 Lbs / 2.9 Kg  :signLOL:
Voltage 12v
Full Charged 13.8v
CCA 210 Amps
Capacity 8 Amps/Hour @ 10AH Rating 

Offline vRSAlex

• Admin
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 253
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,19941.0.html
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2012, 03:36:30 pm »

Try MSAR too.   That's who I buy them from.

If you have a few quid to spare then look at the lithium batteries.
www.akstuning.co.uk - info@akstuning.com - 01234 822324
Follow AKS tuning on Facebook

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:06 pm »

Try MSAR too.   That's who I buy them from.

If you have a few quid to spare then look at the lithium batteries.

will do sir  :happy2:

Offline Aaroncupra

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2012, 11:10:15 am »

Just to update this,

I spoke to Paul from Linden batteries about my battery having issues and they couldnt have been more helpful, they are sending a replacement out,

I asked Paul had they many issues with batteries having problems and he said...... we have never had a battery go wrong like this after a year. I suspect it doesn't happen often otherwise Tomioka wouldnt offer a two year warranty

:happy2: