Make a donation

Author Topic: stage 1 or 2 ?  (Read 7582 times)

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
Re: stage 1 or 2 ?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2012, 06:43:24 am »

Im considering a re map on my gti ko3, I will more than likely go for the stage 1 as im not after crazy power. As far as im aware it shouldn't effect the MPG too much when pottering around is this the case? Same question with stage 2 although i expect that to guzzle a lot more. Also what mods would you actually need for stage 2? I would have intake, exhaust, DV and probably an intercooler if it was needed, thanks.

....Firstly, A Warm Welcome to the forum (we are very good at spending your money on mods for your car!).  :happy2:

MPG won't be adversely effected except when you use the throttle and you are bound to use the throttle more when you first have the remap because you want to and need to explore your car's new found power and learn how best to safely drive it. Stage 2 is the same - It doesn't automatically effect your MPG.

Intake, exhaust, brakes and handling mods are in my opinion needed for Stage 2. You don't need an aftermarket (or Audi S3) intercooler unless you do lots of trackdays or go to Stage 2+. But personally I think it's wiser to stay at Stage 2 on a K03.

Introduce yourself and post pics of your car in the New Members Intro section  :happy2:

Great advice bud thanks, i will introduce myself shortly, waiting for a bit of slightly decent weather so i can take some pics of the GTI :) no body likes a thread with no pics. Cant wait to have my money spent for me  :happy2:

I want decent power but i dont want to start causing issues with other things breaking, but on the flipside i will want more boost in the future.

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2012, 09:53:36 am »

I want decent power but i dont want to start causing issues with other things breaking, but on the flipside i will want more boost in the future.

....If you've been lurking before registering on this forum you'll already know that the quality of advice and help is top notch. Fortunately, German cars tend to be strongly built and there is headroom tolerance for modding. Personally, I plan to keep my GTI and am satisfied with the power and handling balance I have achieved over the last 7 years and 104,000 miles. There's always going to be a faster car than yours or mine and as long as you are having fun but safe and reliable journeys that's all that matters in my opinion.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline MightyMullet

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 5
  • Penzance, Cornwall
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2012, 10:36:28 am »

....If you've been lurking before registering on this forum you'll already know that the quality of advice and help is top notch. Fortunately, German cars tend to be strongly built and there is headroom tolerance for modding. Personally, I plan to keep my GTI and am satisfied with the power and handling balance I have achieved over the last 7 years and 104,000 miles. There's always going to be a faster car than yours or mine and as long as you are having fun but safe and reliable journeys that's all that matters in my opinion.

Yeah ive been stalking the forum for a while as have been on the search for a gti for sometime, was waiting for the right one to come along, and close to home, not alot down here. Im not trying to beat any speed records just want something with plenty of go and a nice sound.

Seems to be some superb advice about, and too much money seems to be a common factor also :)

Cheers for your advice  :drinking:

Offline berg

• Thank You
  • -Given: 49
  • -Receive: 38
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2012, 02:08:33 pm »
Stick at stage 1 unless you are going stage2+! ;-)

agreed, and dont go to stage 2+ if you think you might sell the car on soonish mot worth the hassle of putting all the parts back on etc
Diamond Black Pearl Edition 30, still going strong but now back to Stg 1

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #34 on: December 31, 2012, 04:01:33 pm »
K03 stage 2+ is pointless.  Why not just stick on a K04 turbo on with a custom remap and have the equivalent of a stage 1 Ed30 for a 1/3 of the price running less boost less heat and more power.

Alternately, stage 1+ seems to give very very good results, and all that needs is a HPFP.  That will give you the same figures as a stage 2 car but again, at less cost.

Offline 56OctyVRS

• Thank You
  • -Given: 39
  • -Receive: 71
« Reply #35 on: December 31, 2012, 09:03:18 pm »
On hindsight I prob would go stage 1 K04 than stage 2+. However I havent bothered with the intake part and the car is still spritely. However a car change is looming so I will prob be going to Stage 0 :laugh:
Frozen White Ford Focus 1.6 Ecoboost Titanium.
Mods so far - Superchips Bluefin, High Flow Air Box