Make a donation

Author Topic: Jack Reacher - Movie  (Read 7120 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Jack Reacher - Movie
« Reply #60 on: January 03, 2013, 02:17:49 pm »
I don't think that any film has to faithfully reproduce the content of a book. Being different media they each provide something special that the other can't.

Tom Cruise had the resources to make the film possible and the stunt skills to play the part - If movie makers get too precious about a book providing a script or inspiration, then said movie ain't gonna happen.

Most movie goers don't necessarily read books anyway.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #61 on: January 03, 2013, 02:20:43 pm »
There are a few that would have pulled it off build wise. Chris Hemsworth springs to mind.

Having said that though I thought Tom did ok and if I hadn't read the books where his physique is one of his most talked about attributes then it wouldn't have bothered me at all.

Lets see what (if) the next one brings.

Christian Bale would have got my vote for the role, good actor, correct size, he has proved he can lose/add weight (Tha Machinist) so bulking up for the role would nto have been hard for him either  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #62 on: January 03, 2013, 02:25:57 pm »
^^^^
Sure, but there are so many factors which influence which actors get parts, irrespective of who we think would be best suited. Money and availability are just two. Also, which actor usually achieves the biggest box office income - It's all about money, especially in America.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #63 on: January 03, 2013, 02:32:08 pm »
There are a few that would have pulled it off build wise. Chris Hemsworth springs to mind.

Having said that though I thought Tom did ok and if I hadn't read the books where his physique is one of his most talked about attributes then it wouldn't have bothered me at all.

Lets see what (if) the next one brings.

Christian Bale would have got my vote for the role, good actor, correct size, he has proved he can lose/add weight (Tha Machinist) so bulking up for the role would nto have been hard for him either  :happy2:

No I agree. Maybe they don't go to the same church with Tom being the producer that's bound to be a factor.  :wink:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #64 on: January 03, 2013, 02:39:35 pm »
^^^^
Is Tom Cruise still into his churchy stuff?

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #65 on: January 03, 2013, 06:18:53 pm »
He is the "face" of scientolo-crapgy

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #66 on: January 03, 2013, 06:23:55 pm »

....I try to be as open minded as possible about people's religious beliefs but do find Scientology somewhat strange.

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #67 on: January 03, 2013, 10:47:43 pm »
If you aren't going to be faithful to the book why base it on the book. It isn't exactly Harry Potter. It is based on the book to pull in people that have read it.
Bloke gets angry and beats people up to make things right is hardly new material for Hollywood so the least than can do is have a big bloke doing the beating. The only way I can see Tom Cruise being a MP is if MP stands for miniature person. :-)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #68 on: January 03, 2013, 10:53:07 pm »

....I try to be as open minded as possible about people's religious beliefs but do find Scientology somewhat strange.

Each to their own opinion I say.................................My opinion is its too funny to take seriously

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #69 on: January 03, 2013, 11:04:34 pm »
They are as mad as a box of frogs that lot. Love the fact that we are all aliens in their thing!

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #70 on: January 03, 2013, 11:07:32 pm »
If you aren't going to be faithful to the book why base it on the book. It isn't exactly Harry Potter. It is based on the book to pull in people that have read it.
Bloke gets angry and beats people up to make things right is hardly new material for Hollywood so the least than can do is have a big bloke doing the beating. The only way I can see Tom Cruise being a MP is if MP stands for miniature person. :-)

Have you read the book Pete?

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2013, 08:56:33 am »
I've read all the books except the very latest. Don't get me wrong it's a good story but I don't think it would be difficult to do an original tough guy saves friend from fame up movie without needing the books.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2013, 10:41:41 am »
I agree Pete. I set myself a challenge last summer to read all the ones I hadn't so bought about 7 or 8 from Amazon plus got one from a friend. I have the last one and the current one to do once it's on paperback.

Having seen the film I have to say Tiny Tom manages to get away with it. True if you were following the books to the letter then he really ought to be 6'5" and 250lbs but it wasn't until halfway through that I even thought of that.

Lee Child needs to crack on and get writing some more.  :party:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #73 on: January 04, 2013, 11:41:39 am »

Having seen the film I have to say Tiny Tom manages to get away with it. True if you were following the books to the letter then he really ought to be 6'5" and 250lbs but it wasn't until halfway through that I even thought of that.

....Exactly.

The power to hinder or help our own individual enjoyment of any movie is within us. Is your glass half empty or half full?

Enjoy the book for all the imaginative depth which only well written books can offer, and enjoy the movie for all the action entertainment which only good movies can offer. Enjoy both, as Hedge has done.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #74 on: January 04, 2013, 12:16:30 pm »
I have always liked the books and was a tad apprehensive watching the movie as over the years I'd build up an idea of Jack Reacher's appearance and also his character. Tiny Tom is not Jack Reacher as I see him but if you go with it, that soon gets forgotten and I enjoyed the movie for what it was.

We had this discussion on the way home from the cinema and I reckon that by using the "Jack Reacher" name the movie makers already had a ready made audience and as Tom was part funding/producing the thing no one else was getting the lead role. Although with Tom Cruise's star appeal you could have called the movie "Joe Bloggs" and had the same script and we would have been none the wiser.

:happy2:
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 05:07:14 pm by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~