Make a donation

Author Topic: Underwater Photography....  (Read 3839 times)

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Underwater Photography....
« on: December 23, 2012, 12:34:46 am »
As my small wildlife (no fish) pond of about 2'6" x 7'0" x 18" at its deepest, has evolved since it was first created in June 2010, it has attracted all sorts of wildlife - A breeding colony of colourful Palmate Newts, a Dragonfly, various Damselfly species, Water Snails, Water Slaters which look like miniature lobsters, etc, etc. Naturally I have tried my best to photograph and record the wildlife but until now have not been able to submerge my compact digital camera under the surface of the water and into a slightly different world. A water's surface always creates a tricky barrier for a camera lens and programs to penetrate successfully, although I have had some success within limitations.

I had been looking at accessories such as rigid underwater camera cases but they are both bulky and very expensive at nearly £200. I then checked out the Nikon Coolpix S30 which is very tough and has fairly good optics but not as good as my Fuji FinePix F500EXR 16-Mega compact, and so I phoned a close friend who is a keen snowboarder and gear slut to ask his advice. The result is this...........

^ With my daughter's camera inside to show how the Aquapac works.

^ The Aquapac will also protect a camera and allow you to take photos in all weathers.

More info here:  http://store.aquapac.net/explore-product-range/waterproof-camera-cases/mini-camera-case-with-hard-lens-428.html - Mine cost £35, delivered next day.

And now my first efforts at using it............

^ Shot at night and using a torch for lighting. I surprised myself to find a male Palmate Newt (only tail visible) - They usually hibernate under rocks on land from around October!

^ Again at night - It's good to see that the Common Water Starwort plant which I uprooted from the local river has taken well.

^ Another night shot - The flash has only lit one side and the shot is totally out of focus because I couldn't see the viewfinder. But I really like it artistically and was pleased to see a Water Slater crawling around.

The following photos were taken in daylight but in very overcast and wet weather..........

^ Semi submerged shot - A frog's eye view?

^ Oxygenator plants - Using camera flash.

^ Water Snail - Note the air bubble on its shell. Natural lighting on dull day - No camera flash.

^ Water Snail - Stripping the stem of a dying Water Lily leaf. Natural Lighting on dull day - No camera flash.

I feel very encouraged by these shots and can't wait for Spring when the pond will have lots more creatures active in it and strong sunlight illuminating its underwater world.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2012, 08:48:57 am by RedRobin »

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline n13cah

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 3
    • Email
Re: Underwater Photography....
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2012, 10:52:34 am »
Great shots Robin.

Offline PND

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 21
  • -Receive: 62
  • "Every great journey starts with a single step.."
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2012, 10:58:37 am »
Looking good Robin!  As you say, it will be good to see what's in there in Spring.  :congrats:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2012, 11:06:42 am »
^^^^
Thanks for the encouragement  :happy2:

Aquapac make their trick bags for iPhones and iPads etc as well as for various cameras.

If the sun shows even as much as a glimmer today I'm gonna be poolside! Not in a recliner with a cocktail and a babe but on my knees with my sleeves rolled up!

For me, this isn't only about photography but also about observing and recording local wildlife. In fact I've been invited to enter my Dragonfly/Damselfly sightings to the national register.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:33:02 am by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2012, 11:38:04 am »

Looking good Robin!  As you say, it will be good to see what's in there in Spring.  :congrats:

....I know there's a young frog in there already - I spotted him jump in the pond in mid November. He'll be intending to hibernate in the pond (I've created plenty of suitable places for creatures to hide and survive their predators) until Spring and then be ready to be the first to grasp a female entering the water - Randy bugger!

^ Shot in November before I had the Aquapac - He dived off as soon as I moved, so I wouldn't have been able to get another shot.

^ The only froglet I saw (in July 2011) which survived the feasting on frogspawn by my colony of Palmate Newts. I had introduced some frogspawn from a flood overflow from my local river about 50yds away.

Offline scopes

• Thank You
  • -Given: 131
  • -Receive: 115
  • Wolfsburg Edition
    • My GTI
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,49748.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2012, 07:39:46 pm »
 :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

Some very intresting shots there Robin  :happy2:
If it's not broke, Mod it.....

Silver is the way !

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2012, 08:18:34 pm »
Great shots there Robin, your water is a lot clearer than ours!  :sad1:

We have an underwater video camera (bought for holidays) and it really gives a different perspective when recording underwater of the fish and their habitat.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2012, 08:33:33 pm »

Great shots there Robin, your water is a lot clearer than ours!  :sad1:

....Thanks  :happy2:

My pond's water is always very clear, doubtless helped by there being no fish - Many fish species tend to mess it up either by poo or by scrummaging on the bottom and disturbing the detritus.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2012, 08:41:15 pm »

We have an underwater video camera (bought for holidays) and it really gives a different perspective when recording underwater of the fish and their habitat.

....Keep checking that video - You never know what or who you might find in your pond!:

:evilgrin:

I have kept a picture postcard of Ariel The Little Mermaid and the pic is one I did yesterday of an out-of-focus dying Water Lily leaf (always amazing colours). Suddenly while laying in the bath this morning (Ariel's pic is on my bathroom wall), I had inspiration to use the reject photo to better effect. Et voila, mes cheris!

^ I wish!!  :drool: :love:
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 11:05:17 am by RedRobin »

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2012, 08:44:51 pm »
^^^^  :notworthy:

I shall keep an eye out next time I'm looking in the pond!  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2012, 08:48:24 pm »

^^^^  :notworthy:

I shall keep an eye out next time I'm looking in the pond!  :laugh:

....And if your wife catches you chatting up a mermaid, she'll........................................  :scared:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • Mk7 R
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2012, 08:57:54 pm »
......... know without doubt I've finally lost it and then she would  carry on internet shopping!!  :signLOL:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 03:16:30 pm »
^^^^
Well I keeping hoping that Isla Fisher is going to grab hold of me and drag me into her world, so I'm out poolside at every opportunity when there's some sunshine. The following photos are my second session of 'underwater' photography..........

^ My favourite underwater shot so far. I discovered that my camera has an 'Underwater' setting - It seems to fix 1/30 sec and auto vary the ISO.
This shot has buckets of atmosphere and looks like an underwater forest. I was trying to capture the shafts of soft sunlight and didn't notice the Water Slater in the bottom right corner - He's out of focus but I don't think it matters. The stems are Water Lily. If you were the size of the Water Slater, a Newt would be like a 50ft long Crocodile!

^ Another atmospheric shot, this time taken the night before and using flash.

^ A Water Forget-me-not - The female Palmate Newts favour this hardy plant to lay a single egg folded into a leaf with their back legs, they can lay as many as 300 eggs!

^ The other advantage of using a camera in an Aquapac is that you can also semi submerge or just shoot across the water surface without water damage worries.

^ I quite like composing the shot to include the pond's edges. There's always a trade off in correct exposure but it adds interest and context.

^ Somehow capturing a view the Pond Snail both below the water surface and reflected in it.

^ Fully submerged to grab a shot with the benefit of a very short burst of sunlight between clouds on what was a showery day.
The Pond Snails are a very important species in their contribution to clean up natural decay and also grazing plant surfaces.

^ Pond Snail grazing more decay - Water Lily leaves sink below the water surface when their life ebbs away.
Not only do the leaves provide shelter but also help keep the water cool in Summer and consequently there is much less algae and Blanket Weed growth.

^ Shot in daylight but a mostly overcast day (Christmas Eve).

^ I think the strange little floating 'spaceship' is a plant seed of some sort.

^ A brief glimpse of sunlight and a promise of what underwater photography potential is to come in the Spring.

Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy  :happy2:

Offline pitsirikas

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:42:58 am »

:grin:

Don't drive faster than your angel can fly..!
                Respect a man's car and the man will respect you

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 03:49:09 pm »
^^^^
:signLOL: - Why on earth should that ad be banned!? - it's just harmless fun  :laugh:

Damn! You have rumbled me and the real reason I bought an Aquapac submersible camera case!