Make a donation

Author Topic: thinking about an ed30  (Read 991 times)

Offline paul_brad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
thinking about an ed30
« on: November 28, 2012, 01:48:59 pm »
Hi all,
just joined the forum to read up on all things Golf.
I'm thinking of getting an Edition 30 or possibly a nicely done standard GTI failing that. (Colour coded bumpers, pescaras etc)

I've been driving for the past 4 years an E46 facelift 330 petrol convertible and have loved it, but fancy getting something a bit more practical and hopefully gain a few mpgs.

I'm hoping to get a 3 door ed30, probably manual? (I read that DSGs sap mpg a bit more and can be costly to fix if bust?)
Not too fussy on the colour at the moment (Possibly grey), it will have to have satnav one way or another as I use the nav in the bmw all the time mid-driving when I suddenly realise I'm lost. :)

Will be watching the classifieds!

Offline oak_grun

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 5
  • -Receive: 2
Re: thinking about an ed30
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 01:54:33 pm »
hold out for an edition 30 mate. :smiley: i brough mine off this very forum last weekend and to say im chuffed to bits with it would be an understatment. its just awesome. :happy2:

i went for a dsg as its the missus daily and she preferred this and i have to say its so easy to drive and then you can go manual if you wish using the paddles.

cant wait to get it re-mapped tbh!! :grin:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2012, 02:04:57 pm »
hold out for an edition 30 mate. :smiley: i brough mine off this very forum..

Haha, you did what with it?

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2012, 02:24:58 pm »
Welcome along Paul!  :drinking:

No real difference between the DSG or manual re MPG really. If you plan on having your new toy tuned then a DSG is preferable as a new uprated clutch (at £1k) won't be needed. Somewhere around late 20's for MPG is a reasonable aim and mid 30's on long runs, ie motorways, cruise is a good thing for this. If you get an Eddy without cruise it's no biggy as its an easy retrofit.

The Golf Sat Nav (the RNS510) is also an easy retrofit and can be easily bought for around £500 for a version C onwards (the LED versions). Bluetooth can easily be added as well as a RVC (Rear View Camera).

Other good things to look for are a MFSW (Multi Function Steering Wheel), Highline and obviously Xenons. Everything can be retrofitted.

Make sure the car you get has had it's Cambelt and Waterpump changed otherwise its a £400+ cost straight away as they should be changed at 4 years or 60k (whichever came first)

Happy car hunting.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline paul_brad

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2012, 03:21:24 pm »
thanks for the snippets of advice!
Read up on the sat nav, i'd probably be happy with the standard older one but the RNS sounds good.

BMW convertibles come pretty loaded as standard so will be looking to match what I have as much as possible, currently:

sat nav
heated seats
xenons
bluetooth phone
cruise control
parking sensors

In lieu of parking sensors which hardly any seem to have, you mention rear camera - ill have to read up on cost/ease etc on that, sounds good.

Didn't know the cambelt would be only 60k, so will watch out for.
(Used to have an S3 and before that A3 - old shapes)

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2012, 05:34:48 pm »
Rear camera is a retro-fit item which a few guys on here can do, or you buy the kit and do it yourself  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline billyjo76

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 2
  • live organs in transit
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2012, 06:00:06 pm »
you wont regret buying a ED30, hold out for one,   the engines are an absolute cracker!! i had a vxr astra last year and type r civic the year before and ive never looked back  :smiley:
james

cw edition30 number 1870