Make a donation

Author Topic: Boxing day Sales....  (Read 3280 times)

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Boxing day Sales....
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:00:17 am »
Morning peeps,

Not a rant as such... Anyway, someone posted a photo on F/B of Selfridges in the Trafford Centre at stupid o'clock this morning. There was a massive queue of people (as expected).

Now, i love a bargain as the next person but im sat here in my PJ's typing this without any intention of going near any kind of store today. Yet, i have that itch that most bargain hunters get - kinda like the feeling of "missing out on bargain" so to speak.

Are the boxing day sales really worth queueing outside Next at 5am for or is the whole thing a fallacy/myth in that the stuff on sale is either old stock that couldnt be shifted previously or the "sale" price a result of the original price being bumped up in the first place?

what are other peoples thoughts? I guess if you are reading this, you havent rushed out to the local shopping centre and not to be fussed about the sales to begin with...

Rich

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
Re: Boxing day Sales....
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 10:02:05 am »
I think that anyone that queues up for these sales needs to have a good, long, hard look at themselves. Especially next where the clothes are average at best an is inevitably always the summer stuff or the bogging clothes that never sell!!

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 10:18:09 am »
I think it's the fact that the sales are up to 50% off that make people mad.

I got dragged to a next sale a few years ago, it was mad. I had to leave the shop because of the amount of people that were almost pushing my son over!

I avoid all shops at his time of year. Most have there sales online anyway.

Offline JPC

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 93
  • -Receive: 111
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 10:22:46 am »
I value convenience far too much than to bother with any type of sale. The word sale completely turns me off too whenever I walk into a shop.

Sale to me = end of line crap that was never fashionable enough to sell properly during the year being reduced just enough to suck in the gullable. Still great markup being made by the retailers. I just hate the thought of going to the Trafford centre right now with the rest of the sheep! I'd rather chew glass!

Offline SteveP

• Thank You
  • -Given: 117
  • -Receive: 340
    • My Project
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 11:25:01 am »
To say Im not missing working at Harrods this year would be an understatement   :laugh: :laugh:

As funny as women fighting over sale racks of shoes is I think I will stick with the relative tranquility of Milltek at Xmas  :pomppomp:

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 11:59:28 am »
I really don't understand people's desire for a bargin.  :confused:

Its a women thing i think. I know my wife and daughters love the Sales and have been planning their campaign to attack the shops this afternoon. The girls have vouchers burning holes in their pockets and my lady wife is a pro shopper anyway and this is a thinly veiled excuse To buy more rubbish.

I can see the argument for waiting for the Sales to buy an expensive item that you were planning on buying anyway but when isn't there a sale on nowadays??

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 12:12:51 pm »
DFS might have a sale on  :drool:

I remember a clothing shop called "the officers club" in Aberdeen that had a closing down sale for around 5 years!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 12:31:47 pm »

I remember a clothing shop called "the officers club" in Aberdeen that had a closing down sale for around 5 years!

I wonder if anyone has bought a sofa from DFS when there's not a sale on?  :signLOL:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 12:34:48 pm »

To say Im not missing working at Harrods this year would be an understatement   :laugh: :laugh:

As funny as women fighting over sale racks of shoes is I think I will stick with the relative tranquility of Milltek at Xmas  :pomppomp:

....When I was running my design consultancy, Harrods were a regular client (before the days of Al-Fayed) and I was invited to view and put aside Sale goods the evening before the Sales started. This wasn't Boxing Day Sales and was restricted to the 4th floor where I did all my work for them - "The Way In".

I can't be doing with crowds of people pushing and shoving for a bargain anywhere.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2012, 12:42:06 pm »

And it's still there mate!

Offline Phil_T

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 3
    • Audi S3
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2012, 01:26:04 pm »
Ive done mine all online as I cant stand to walk around with how many people raid the rails like its their last meal. I went out to HMV this morning though to get idiot abroad 1-3 that was released today only to start watching it & not waiting for it to come in the post!

As regards to the above about sales I think if you know what you want & it aint going to go out of fashion I dont see the problem, Ive bought loads of Levis & Ralph Lauren stuff cheap that I know is still for sale all year round why pay £80 for a shirt when I got it for £30  :laugh:
« Last Edit: December 26, 2012, 01:29:23 pm by Phil_T »

For Sale - Airlift Performance Struts & Accuair Elevel/Ilevel Management - 18" BBS E28 Magnesium Split Wheels, Carbon Fibre Front Splitter
Old Car 2009 Audi S3 365bhp Gone - New Car 2013 C63 Amg Now With 525bhp

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2012, 02:52:11 pm »
I do partake in sales shopping, but tbh i prefer going to outlets. It's like sale shopping but all year around and at your convenience. I have easy access to two good outlets and I tend to find I get more stuff I like there than in sales.

Either way there's no way I'm queueing before opening hours, and I'm not buying garbage just because it's reduced.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline WhiteGTI

• Thank You
  • -Given: 29
  • -Receive: 22
  • F-A-S-T
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2012, 07:35:00 pm »
I find these days that most shops have a sale line of products. Whereas before it was the normal products that were discounted, now they bring out horrible/tasteless cr@p and call it a sale.  :indifferent: :indifferent:
2008 Golf GTI - Revo Stage 2 NOW SOLD

2006 E46 BMW M3 - 343hp
2000 Lotus Elise Sport160 - 160hp

R32UK

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2012, 01:35:16 am »
5% of people will genuinely save themselves some money. the other fools will just think they are saving themselves money. :laugh:

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2012, 07:20:17 am »
I used to buy all my clothes during winter/summer sales, particularly when I was a student. These were items that I knew were priced much higher during the actual seasons. I have managed to buy designer stuff quite cheaply eg 2 pairs of jeans for £10 each when they were previouslh priced at £80 each. I hate clutter so avoid buying nick-nacks and other items that I know I'm not going to use.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.