Make a donation

Author Topic: Merging iTunes Accounts  (Read 677 times)

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 12
    • Lone_Pars MK5 Diamond Black GTI
Merging iTunes Accounts
« on: December 26, 2012, 02:33:37 pm »
Alright guys. I've done a fair bit of searching on google etc, but hoping one of you knowledgable chaps will be able to help out.

I've got 2011 iMac and at the moment it's set up with 2 users accounts, one for me and one for the missus. What I'm wanting to do is simply merge her iTunes library into mine so I can delete her user account as she hardly uses it and after a recent experience of her trying to use both the iMac and iTunes and almost wiping everything. That way everything will be under 1 account.

I'm aware that I can create 2 libraries and switch between the two, but what I'd rather was that it was all under 1 library, but still giving us the ability to sync our own music (and possibly some of each others) to our respective iDevices. Is that possible? Even better would be the ability for me to add her tunes to my iTunes match.

I've probably not explained it very well, but know what I mean in my head!

If I need to clarify anything, just say!!  :drinking:

Gaz

Offline sub39h

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
Re: Merging iTunes Accounts
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2012, 02:54:10 pm »
Just copy and paste her music into your library from your HDD. You can still upload different things to your iPhone/iPod easily on a single account (one person may well have an iPad and an iPhone and an iPod and may not necessarily want the same stuff on all 3)!
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 03:12:48 pm »
Cheers mate. Just tested out as we've got home sharing enabled and it copied across into my library fine, uploaded to my iCloud fine. So I am happy as far as I'm concerned as I've got iTunes Match so if I did want any of her songs on my I device I could download my way.

What about her I devices though? She mainly buys through her phone so it might not be a problem, but when she syncs I'm assuming, depending on what her sync settings are, that her phone and iPad may well try and sync my songs too. Will have a look at her settings and have a proper look tonight. Might be a bit of trial and error involved I think!!

And not even touched on apps!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2012, 09:42:28 pm »
Cheers mate. Just tested out as we've got home sharing enabled and it copied across into my library fine, uploaded to my iCloud fine. So I am happy as far as I'm concerned as I've got iTunes Match so if I did want any of her songs on my I device I could download my way.

What about her I devices though? She mainly buys through her phone so it might not be a problem, but when she syncs I'm assuming, depending on what her sync settings are, that her phone and iPad may well try and sync my songs too. Will have a look at her settings and have a proper look tonight. Might be a bit of trial and error involved I think!!

And not even touched on apps!

Set her phone up to use the same iTunes store account. She can still use her own iCloud account for everything else.

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2012, 09:44:40 pm »
I've already binned the idea mate as you can only use one primary iCloud account on the iMac which wouldn't work for us as we both need it working. Just sticking to two separate accounts.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2012, 09:50:49 pm »
I've already binned the idea mate as you can only use one primary iCloud account on the iMac which wouldn't work for us as we both need it working. Just sticking to two separate accounts.

You need to retain separate logins on the iMac to have separate iCloud accounts. But both logins can still use the same iTunes account.

My wife and I use this setup, however, she rarely needs login to my Mac mini with her account, she can access everything she needs on the iPad mini normally.

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2012, 09:54:12 pm »
Similar situation to me really mate. Will have another look at working with two logins and sharing the same library. To be honest, because she barely uses the mac, I'm not sure it's worth the bother!

Cheers.

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2012, 10:08:35 pm »
Similar situation to me really mate. Will have another look at working with two logins and sharing the same library. To be honest, because she barely uses the mac, I'm not sure it's worth the bother!

Cheers.

Its worth doing so you only have to purchase apps once.

Offline Lone_Par

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2012, 10:13:29 pm »
Aye, using my money!!

We barely use the same apps (paid) anyway. Though are apps not covered with home sharing?