Make a donation

Author Topic: Bad Christmas  (Read 1929 times)

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
Bad Christmas
« on: December 28, 2012, 08:10:49 am »
Has anyone seen these pictures floating around yet??

Before

After

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
Re: Bad Christmas
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:14:07 am »
i take it the occupants were ok? At least he can get another GTR..

i heard this morning on the news that 2 more young children died in an RTA yesturday near Cambridgshire after the 2 kids who died the other day on the M6. so sad...

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 08:46:35 am »
I believe they are both fine which is the main thing

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 08:51:13 am »
I always find it very hard to find any sympathy when I see a fast car in a field. OK, there is a chance speed wasn't a factor, but I think it's very likely that it was.

Apologies for being presumptuous but the number of fatalities in recent days has struck a cord with me.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 08:55:52 am »
I always find it very hard to find any sympathy when I see a fast car in a field. OK, there is a chance speed wasn't a factor, but I think it's very likely that it was..

I agree. I drive like miss daisy on the road. Its why I like trackdays because its not safe to go fast on the roads

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 09:03:14 am »
I always find it very hard to find any sympathy when I see a fast car in a field. OK, there is a chance speed wasn't a factor, but I think it's very likely that it was.

Apologies for being presumptuous but the number of fatalities in recent days has struck a cord with me.

I think you're probably right - that car has been on it's roof. The amount of energy required to flip 1500kg is substantial. I'm no expert, but logic dictates he was going faster than he should have been.

I'm glad the occupants are ok, but I hope it was a lesson learned.
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 09:12:31 am »
I'm glad I'm not the person or police who turned up to recover it as.I don't think I could resist saying

Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 09:38:32 am »

....Only the incident investigators will be able to confirm if speed was a factor. Although it may be very likely indeed, it's not fair for people to assume that it was. Making such assumptions is only one step on from assuming that a red car is a fast car and that such incidents/accidents (whichever the politically correct term is!) are always the result of speed. Example: I had a 'bad  christmas' many years ago which resulted in rolling a car and ending upside down in a field - Early one christmas morning when driving on a high part of the Cotswolds I hit black ice at less than 30mph which took me onto the verge heading towards a big tree... I managed to steer away from the tree towards a hedge... The car stopped for a brief moment, halfway into the hedge and momentarily balanced precariously (just like in the movies) before plunging down a long and very steep bank into a ploughed field where it rolled onto its roof. I later learnt that the road had not been salted.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 10:01:14 am »
Ive nearly come a cropper on country roads when doing perfectly acceptable speeds. You never know if there is going to be a mud slick around the corner, and even excercising caution cant help with that.

Granted, it still takes considerable speed to take out a hedge and flip a car on its roof.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 10:16:36 am »

Ive nearly come a cropper on country roads when doing perfectly acceptable speeds. You never know if there is going to be a mud slick around the corner, and even excercising caution cant help with that.

....Which is why I never switch off the ESP on public roads. It might not save you but then again, it might.

Granted, it still takes considerable speed to take out a hedge and flip a car on its roof.

....Not necessarily - That was the whole point of the story of what happened to me - All less than 30mph although I involuntarily gained speed whilst going down the long steep bank. It was actually quite comic and I ended up hanging upside down suspended in my safety belt and laughing - A large magnum bottle of champagne which had been on the back seat (a present to my christmas hosts I was on my way to stay with) had done a wall-of-death around the car and narrowly missed my head! The car was a write-off but I was totally unhurt.

However, in this case of the GTR it does look as if excessive speed for the road conditions was most likely the main factor. The same would apply if it was a Toyota Yaris or similar heap of plastic junk and we might not feel quite so sympathetic. Mind you, I doubt if the human occupants of a Yaris would have survived that roll into a field.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 01:26:50 pm by RedRobin »

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Baz300

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 26
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 10:17:47 am »
I managed to flip a e36 M3 at 30-40mph

It was a really hot day, came Into a junction and the back slid out, over corrected it and the back went into a ditch and caused the car to roll along the top of a dyke  and landed Into a field.

It turned out that there was a patch of rain and it made the road very slippery after being such a hot day.

The only time I have had an accident in 14 years of driving

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 10:24:54 am »

I managed to flip a e36 M3 at 30-40mph

It was a really hot day, came Into a junction and the back slid out, over corrected it and the back went into a ditch and caused the car to roll along the top of a dyke  and landed Into a field.

It turned out that there was a patch of rain and it made the road very slippery after being such a hot day.

The only time I have had an accident in 14 years of driving

....A red car! A BMW! With a M-badge! You MUST have been speeding!!  :laugh: < That's exactly what the populace tend to think and they judge you... Unjustly!

Offline stealthwolf

• Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 10:26:34 am »
Agree with RR's comments about speed. There's a road on the way to work which has a sharp bend and on a hot, dry day, you can take it at the speed limit. But in any other condition, the car can slide/skid and particularly as it's a blind corner, you have to slow down. Despite dropping the speed to 20mph, I still ended up with the back end waving out towards the centre of the road. This was an icy, cold day. If another car had been coming from the other end, they may well have hit me, especially if they didn't drop their speed either.

"Speeding" isn't the correct phrase here. It's "excessive speed for the conditions" and may well have been under the speed limit.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 10:32:46 am »
Isn't this were Saint Steve comes on and hopes all the occupants are dead.  :popcornsoda:  or is that just BMW drivers.  :rolleye:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 10:38:15 am »
Isn't this were Saint Steve comes on and hopes all the occupants are dead.  :popcornsoda:  or is that just BMW drivers.  :rolleye:

:signLOL: