Make a donation

Author Topic: Testing out the crimbo cleaning products  (Read 3576 times)

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
Re: Testing out the crimbo cleaning products
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2013, 06:54:28 pm »
Great advice frenzy - will defo bear it in mind for next time. Job is now done - took me nearly 2 days though :surprised:
Least favourite job was defo cleaning, polishing, sealing the pescaras... And the 4 hour clay bar session!
Having said that I'm chuffed with the results!

Just got to keep on top of it now  :scared:

Looks great man!!  :happy2:

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2013, 07:09:19 pm »
Cheers dude. Well impressed with the HD Wax - a joy to use and love the lovely wet look, looks like the tub will last forever too.

Here's a couple more pics

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2013, 07:13:43 pm »
Looks good.

Agree with above advice about fairy liquid/salt. Claying and polishing will remove wax. It's never taken me four hours, even on the 6 year old fiesta that had never been cleaned in its life. I wonder whether you had lots of tar and may have benefitted from a tar remover. Polishing would have taken four hours easily and is the most difficult part for me, but it's the part that matters the most.

Winter, as stated, is a difficult time to detail a car properly outdoors. The clay bar will be stiffer (use a container with hot water to keep the clay in), the polish may not break down properly/take longer. Wax particularly doesn't adhere well - you can get tiny droplets of moisture which interferes. Most people will do a full detail on the car say October and then leave it over winter (other than routine wash).

Agree with breaking up the process. Due to time and space constraints, I often find it's easier for me to do my weekly wash and do one extra thing eg do the wheels; do the glass; do the plastic trim; do the door/boot shuts etc.

Wheels are a PITA to do and they're best done off the car - even if you have to do one wheel at a time.

I have the same car and love the way yours looks. Because of various factors, I haven't cleaned my car since boxing day.  :fighting:

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2013, 07:18:59 pm »
Ah! I can't wait to use my AG HD wax now! It actually looks great!! When I get her back ill have a go!!

Offline greygti

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 12
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2013, 07:55:22 pm »
Looks great mate !

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2013, 08:07:24 pm »
Cheers for all the comments advice guys :happy2:

Stealth - agreed the timing for this wasn't great but the car was a mess as had been up to the lakes for new year with the dog in tow so inside and out we're a state. Plus I was itching to try the new kit. Good tip with the hot water for the clay - like u say it was quite brittle with the cold - probably was more like 3.15 hrs to clay but was very careful with it being my first attempt - probably over digit a bit!
Will definitely break the stages down in future! As a side note, how many layers of wax would you recommend? Just got the 1 on at the mo.
Rip the HD Wax goes on/ off like a dream! (By far the best bit) Enjoy! :happy2:

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2013, 08:37:39 pm »
Two. Any more and the solvent in further layers will strip previous layers.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline ryan11

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2013, 09:30:52 pm »
Thats some great results.

Its always better to be careful with the clay as you dont want any marring. You can always increase the amount of clay lube if your not sure.

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2013, 09:48:46 pm »
good results there mate and don't worry about it taking 2 days, took me 5 days the first time i did everything from scratch  :grin: My son was only a couple of months old at the time and i couldn't be a complete dinosaur spending more time on the car than with him so i use that as a mitigating factor y'honour  :ashamed: