Make a donation

Author Topic: Pirelli GTI ride quality - and rattly back seat hinges and catches.  (Read 3616 times)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
OK, I'm looking for some advice on some changes I'd like to make to improve ride quality, particulalry low speed and a need to address cabin rattles etc.
It appears to me that that the car suffers through being on 18" wheels for a start. I've also had a close look at 17" tyres that came off some wheels I bought secondhand. One pair were Pirelli and the other were Dunlop. The Pirellis were heavier and had a much stiffer side wall than the Dunlop. Both brands were almost new and had around 7mm of tread.

Based on this I'd almost be inclined to equip a set of 17" wheels I have winter tyres on with something other than PZero Nero's which I currently have.

My second inclination is to change the shock absorbers for Koni FSD's. I changed over to these on a brand new Leon FR I once bought and it transformed the car (I kept standard springs). Low speed harshness was much improved, but would this necessarily be the case with a GTI? Anyone have firsthand experience with these? Are springs required to work well with FSD's?

If anyone else has resolved this issue for themselves I'd love to hear from you!  :happy2:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:08:47 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
Re: Pirelli GTI ride quality
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2013, 09:57:25 am »
I'm in the same boat. The 4090s FSDs did not help enough in my opinion. (I'm down the road if you want to try the ride) I'm swapping to 4001s FSD and also got some 17" to try. The have the Nero zeros on.

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2013, 10:29:28 am »
Tyres will only make a small amount of difference imho; most notably with the amount of noise rather than their overall compression ability. 
I do find running the 18's with less air; in the region of 32/33PSI makes for a more shock absorbing ride than 38PSI, but again gains are slight, and probably in slight detriment to fuel consumption / even tyre wear.

It's not only the low tyre profile to blame, but also the amount of unsprung mass, I bet the R32 is even worse with those heavy brakes upfront.

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2013, 10:40:54 am »
I'm in the same boat. The 4090s FSDs did not help enough in my opinion. (I'm down the road if you want to try the ride) I'm swapping to 4001s FSD and also got some 17" to try. The have the Nero zeros on.
Whats supposed to be the difference between the different Knoi parts? Valving?
I'd had advice that Koni quality had slid over the year or so and they're customer support wasn't as good as it has been. I was a little disappointed at first as they worked so well on my Leon.

You're not the Pirelli owner I met on the Eastern Road one Friday lunch time a few weeks back by any chance are you? I have a silver 3 door, the one I saw was also silver but a 5 door I think??

Offline flashp

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2013, 10:43:21 am »
Tyres will only make a small amount of difference imho; most notably with the amount of noise rather than their overall compression ability. 
I do find running the 18's with less air; in the region of 32/33PSI makes for a more shock absorbing ride than 38PSI, but again gains are slight, and probably in slight detriment to fuel consumption / even tyre wear.

It's not only the low tyre profile to blame, but also the amount of unsprung mass, I bet the R32 is even worse with those heavy brakes upfront.
Unsprung mass - one of the reasons why i'm trying out S3 wishbones. Half the weight or thereabouts of the OE steel parts. Also have uprated bushing with more castor angle I believe.

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2013, 11:39:28 am »
The valving is harder on the 4090s to deal with the rebound of the GTI springs although I think this suits German roads more than UK roads. Tyres do make a difference. I tried PS3s instead of the eagle f1s and they were softer. I wouldn't run the tyres at 32 psi personally. I found the koni customer service to be good.  I'm a black 5dr. I had a normal 08 GTI and I found the ride fine in that but the Pirelli seems so firm and it's wheels are lighter (both had 18s)

Offline camfollower

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 10
  • -Receive: 31
  • Cam follower awareness.
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2013, 12:58:31 pm »
Is the K04 car heavier than the K03?  With same springs and dampers...

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2013, 01:40:12 pm »
Apparently the edition 30s and Pirelli's are 30 kg heavier but that's only like half a passenger ?

Offline GrayMK5GTI

• Global Moderator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 125
  • -Receive: 247
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 02:20:23 pm »
What you have to remember, is that a firm ride is what a "sporty" hatchback is all about. You dont want 200bhp and soft suspension, its a recipe for disaster.

You can soften it up a little without spoiling it with 17in alloys (and maybe a little less air in your tyres?). I lowered my GTI on H&R springs which made the ride slightly firmer - i'd avoid this I were you, though.

I very much doubt the K04 cars are heavier (by as much as 30kg anyway, maybe 1 or 2kg) - only DSG cars are heavier (and thats by about 25kg).

I'd try a set of 17's, if you still dont like it, i'd say a sporty hatch probably isnt for you  :sad1:
NOW: 2015 Golf R DSG 5 Door, Lapiz Blue, 19s, Discover Nav, Reversing Camera
GONE:2007 Black GTI Edition 30 3dr

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2013, 05:41:39 pm »
As mentioned I had a 08 5 dr black dsg gti on 18s and it was fine. 6 months of driving with no problems. 58 5 dr black dsg Pirelli on 18s and within a month I'm at the chiropractors. Somehow the Pirelli is firmer. I tried a tyre swap and that helped a little. I don't know if the first GTI had slightly worn dampers or what but the Pirelli is somehow different.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2013, 05:48:26 pm »
Bilstein B12 kit firms up the ride, but removes a lot of the body roll and 'jigglyness' from the stock suspension, also gets rid of the crashy feel over smaller bumps.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2013, 05:56:54 pm »
Bilstein B12 kit firms up the ride, but removes a lot of the body roll and 'jigglyness' from the stock suspension, also gets rid of the crashy feel over smaller bumps.

So your saying it was the body roll and Jigglyness that was giving him a bad back.

Offline PDT

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 142
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2013, 06:04:12 pm »
No, but low speed harshness is a standard feature of this chassis, when you mix this with body roll and 'jigglyness' it makes the car feel very hard and crashy over small bumps but soft and not controlled in corners due to the roll.

When I returned my ED30 to stock before selling it I hated the stock suspension after driving on the B12 for so long.

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2013, 07:37:20 pm »
I believe it is that low speed harshness, it feels like the car is constantly transmitting small road imperfections as sharp jolts to my spine. I'm trying to find a way to take the edge of those. I think I have a back issue anyway but if the standard GTI was fine it would seem I don't have to reduce it by much to cheer my spine up :-)

Offline Thecrawf

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2013, 03:56:46 pm »
OK, I'm looking for some advice on some changes I'd like to make to improve ride quality, particulalry low speed and a need to address cabin rattles etc.
It appears to me that that the car suffers through being on 18" wheels for a start. I've also had a close look at 17" tyres that came off some wheels I bought secondhand. One pair were Pirelli and the other were Dunlop. The Pirellis were heavier and had a much stiffer side wall than the Dunlop. Both brands were almost new and had around 7mm of tread.

Based on this I'd almost be inclined to equip a set of 17" wheels I have winter tyres on with something other than PZero Nero's which I currently have.

My second inclination is to change the shock absorbers for Koni FSD's. I changed over to these on a brand new Leon FR I once bought and it transformed the car (I kept standard springs). Low speed harshness was much improved, but would this necessarily be the case with a GTI? Anyone have firsthand experience with these? Are springs required to work well with FSD's?

If anyone else has resolved this issue for themselves I'd love to hear from you!  :happy2:

Dude to be honest if you have cabin rattles you need to go back to peter cooper in Southampton, the last time I saw that car it no interior trim in it where they were trying to find the knocking noise, they should refit and make things right as you can say you know me....

As for different tyres I only find the difference between run-flat and non flat, like other people say it comes down to the ride quality of the suspension and how much you value loosing your teeth when you drive over a stone or some other small inanimate object, should keep Pirelli tyres on the car though lol
Really do miss the mk5 Perelli rare breed of car
Audi S3 black edition 1 week old went wrong sent back to Audi
RS3 order cancelled bought C63 AMG PPP now sold after a year of expensive trips to kwik fit
New car BMW M135i loaded to the hilt