Make a donation

Author Topic: Pirelli GTI ride quality - and rattly back seat hinges and catches.  (Read 3625 times)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
Re: Pirelli GTI ride quality
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2013, 10:06:20 pm »
I think I've had to fix most of what they f****d up.  :fighting:

I've had to strip out everything from the B pillar to the boot trim on the passenger side to refit misaligned trim panels and bought more replacement trim clips than is sensible to replace those that were missing. When cars are stripped out like this they are never the same again.

Thanks for the info, but I wouldn't take it back there. They simply weren't careful enough.

The only rattle it had (and it was a loud one) was coming from the back seat hinges/catches which I managed to prove but not cure.

When I had the suspension changed over JKM [Jim] heard it and took it upon himself to track it down without my request. He arrived at the same place, the back seat, and lubricated the moving parts mentioned and since all as been totally quiet. Not one rattle.

He used this stuff...
http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/car-maintenance-accessories/maintenance-fluids-and-greases/grease/?NOR28944451&0&cc5_150

It has some adhesive qualities which prevent it from migrating from the point of application and it can stop parts resonating. Less than £4 too!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 10:11:29 pm by flashp »

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline flashp

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 65
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2013, 10:52:26 pm »
OK, I'm looking for some advice on some changes I'd like to make to improve ride quality, particulalry low speed and a need to address cabin rattles etc.
It appears to me that that the car suffers through being on 18" wheels for a start. I've also had a close look at 17" tyres that came off some wheels I bought secondhand. One pair were Pirelli and the other were Dunlop. The Pirellis were heavier and had a much stiffer side wall than the Dunlop. Both brands were almost new and had around 7mm of tread.

Based on this I'd almost be inclined to equip a set of 17" wheels I have winter tyres on with something other than PZero Nero's which I currently have.

My second inclination is to change the shock absorbers for Koni FSD's. I changed over to these on a brand new Leon FR I once bought and it transformed the car (I kept standard springs). Low speed harshness was much improved, but would this necessarily be the case with a GTI? Anyone have firsthand experience with these? Are springs required to work well with FSD's?

If anyone else has resolved this issue for themselves I'd love to hear from you!  :happy2:

Dude to be honest if you have cabin rattles you need to go back to peter cooper in Southampton, the last time I saw that car it no interior trim in it where they were trying to find the knocking noise, they should refit and make things right as you can say you know me....

As for different tyres I only find the difference between run-flat and non flat, like other people say it comes down to the ride quality of the suspension and how much you value loosing your teeth when you drive over a stone or some other small inanimate object, should keep Pirelli tyres on the car though lol
I may have ranted a bit in earlier reply, sorry! I'm very grateful for the heads up and appreciate your offer!  :drinking:

Gone but not forgotten :-)

Offline Beeps

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 0
Re: Pirelli GTI ride quality - and rattly back seat hinges and catches.
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2013, 11:14:28 pm »
I have a standard 57 plate Gti (with jabba power) on 17" Goodyear Assy2s, standard springs and Koni FSDs.

The ride is certainly smoother than stock at most speeds, but not up to the silky smooth ride of the Mk4 on Eibach springs and FSDs. The bigger roll bars must have something to do with it and I am not convinced the standard springs really suit the FSDs.

Another problem I have only just cured is the soft side walls of the Assy 2s. With standard pressure of 2.4 bars in front and back the car squirms all over the road and has a lot of random rear wheel steering meaning you have to fight to keep it in a straight line. When I pumped up the rear tyres to 2.7 bar with only me in the car the straight line tracking is a lot better - I have always had the Goodyears on my cars but will be looking for another tyre as I am having to make the ride rougher than it needs to be just to keep the car on the road.

Offline mad_pete

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #18 on: February 18, 2013, 11:25:12 pm »
What FSDs have you got ? 4090 or 4001s ?

Offline Beeps

• Taking part
  • Thank You
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2013, 05:47:33 pm »
FSD 4090 - and I agree with you they could/should be a lot better on standard springs.

Offline stu_no_1

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2013, 02:59:38 pm »
i went from 17s to 18s and never noticed any difference then went from standard springs to lowering springs and never noticed much other than it was harder if i hit a pot hole. i think if your bothered by a firm ride the gti is maybe not the car for you

Offline widetyres

• Can't Read PM's Yet!
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 02:02:28 pm »
I'm in the same boat. The 4090s FSDs did not help enough in my opinion. (I'm down the road if you want to try the ride) I'm swapping to 4001s FSD and also got some 17" to try. The have the Nero zeros on.

Hi,

I'm really interested in this thread - did you get your 4001's fitted?  I've just bought an Edition 30, which I absolutely love, but the suspension is way to harsh for normal use, so I'm looking to upgrade it.

What are your opinions on the 4001's?  Did you fit them with standard or aftermarket springs?

Thanks,
Graham.