Make a donation

Author Topic: Is it me...  (Read 4569 times)

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
Re: Is it me...
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2012, 07:57:27 am »

I've only been on the forum for 14 months, but the standard of grammar and spelling has most definitely gone downhill. It's really rather shocking.

@RR, I love Terry Thomas! The ultimate cad and a bit of a bounder! I remember a film where he blatantly steals a chap's girlfriend. The chap returns from the bar and challenges Sir Terrence who replies: "Hard cheese old boy, she's mine"!!  :signLOL:

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #31 on: December 30, 2012, 09:49:36 am »

I've only been on the forum for 14 months, but the standard of grammar and spelling has most definitely gone downhill. It's really rather shocking.

....I put it mostly down to laziness when using mobile media and the rest is down to poor education. Even when txt-ing I check my spelling and grammar.

@RR, I love Terry Thomas! The ultimate cad and a bit of a bounder! I remember a film where he blatantly steals a chap's girlfriend. The chap returns from the bar and challenges Sir Terrence who replies: "Hard cheese old boy, she's mine"!!  :signLOL:

....Then you'll love this one.........................

^ Ian Carmichael went to the same school as myself - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bromsgrove_School - There were only about 300 boys, no girls, attending when I was there.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #32 on: December 30, 2012, 10:26:48 am »
 :signLOL:  :signLOL:

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

"So tell me, you looooovely creature" !!!

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #33 on: December 30, 2012, 10:39:35 am »

If you can read it I don't see a problem myself. I have had issues on here with people complaining about my spelling and grammar. I did take offense at it as I'm dyslexic, so i stopped contributing for a long time.
 In life what I lack in spelling and grammar skills I make up for in maths and engineering skills, as well as been able to remember most facts, figures, or quotes I have ever read.
I myself would rather be an engineer with practical probem solving skills, been able to fix things, build things, repair things, design things and do everyday useful practical things then like a lot of grammar correct people I know who are just desk jockeys. They push paper everyday and cannot even wire a 13A plug or do any DIY at home at all. Just my view.

« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 11:11:43 am by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #34 on: December 30, 2012, 11:17:42 am »

If you can read it I don't see a problem myself. I have had issues on here with people complaining about my spelling and grammar. I did take offense at it as I'm dyslexic, so i stopped contributing for a long time.  In life what I lack in spelling and grammar skills I make up for in maths and engineering skills, as well as been able to remember most facts, figures, or quotes I have ever read.
I myself would rather be an engineer with practical probem solving skills, been able to fix things, build things, repair things, design things and do everyday useful practical things then like a lot of grammar correct people I know who are just desk jockeys. They push paper everyday and cannot even wire a 13A plug or do any DIY at home at all.

Completely agree, and i am not dyslexic. Lots of people just have not had the best time at school for whatever reason. As long as there point comes across then that is enough. The spelling police on here are telling more about themselves when complaining.  :happy2:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2012, 11:58:37 am »
^^^^
Hey, folks it's not just a simple matter of whether someone can spell or not or whether they have had the privilege of an English language education - The problem is when some people are quite capable (obviously not genuine dyslexics) of writing in reasonable grammar and spelling but are lazy about it (usually encouraged when using mobile media). That problem becomes irritating and unhelpful to those who might be able to help a fellow forumite when a question is asked and, as a direct consequence of it being written without any punctuation etc etc it is too difficult to make sense of. It's when all these elements are combined that it becomes a problem, in my opinion.

If we encourage such low standards of communication........

Ex(?) forum member Scott-The-Comma-Boy is a prime example and there have been plenty others - So what justification is there in accepting it?

Do you not see my point? - I know many of you do because so many of you are very quick to take the piss out of badly written posts.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #36 on: December 30, 2012, 12:07:55 pm »

If you can read it I don't see a problem myself. I have had issues on here with people complaining about my spelling and grammar. I did take offense at it as I'm dyslexic, so i stopped contributing for a long time.

In life what I lack in spelling and grammar skills I make up for in maths and engineering skills, as well as been able to remember most facts, figures, or quotes I have ever read.
I myself would rather be an engineer with practical probem solving skills, been able to fix things, build things, repair things, design things and do everyday useful practical things then like a lot of grammar correct people I know who are just desk jockeys. They push paper everyday and cannot even wire a 13A plug or do any DIY at home at all. Just my view.

....Geoff, I have noticed that since your 'return' (proof that you can check out but you can never leave) your posts have very noticeably improved in that they are far easier to read. I make no apology for adding a paragraph space to your quoted words above  :evilgrin:

You almost hit the nail on the head when you say that it's ok as long as you can read someone's post - Sure, but you also have to be able to understand it if a meaningful reply is being asked for.

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 30, 2012, 12:26:04 pm »
Failure to address the grammar of children at schools has led to the general low standard of it. Most employers require a CV and written application , to accept any employee with poor grammar will only reflect badly on that organisation . It is very important and the good use of grammar should be openly encouraged ? Yes ?

PS Where did the "HAVE I GOT AN EDITION30" topic go ? I obviously missed its demise
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2012, 12:31:15 pm »
PS Where did the "HAVE I GOT AN EDITION30" topic go ? I obviously missed its demise

Here. http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,58673.0.html

Offline garrardrj

• Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: December 30, 2012, 12:38:55 pm »
No ..... not that one . He created another one telling us about his sale to his brother in law/brother and he'd checked all the vin numbers etc , went on for at least 10 pages , i watched superstars last night and missed the end of it !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #40 on: December 30, 2012, 12:56:31 pm »

100% agree and well said!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

I AM dyslexic and have stuggled my whole life with the most simple of writing tasks when it comes to spelling and the physical aspect of writing words down on paper as in my mind I see words back to front and usually with many of the letters in the alphabet, b's, p's and s's are always back to front or upside down and a constant source of embarrassment and annoyance to me (but a source of hilarity to my girls  :laugh:, kids!)

Being a child, growing up in a boarding school from the mid 70's onwards and not being diagnosed with dyslexic meant you were a moron so being called a retard at school only spurred me on to improve my skills (of lack of) and I would spend bloody ages reading the dictionary and learning how words "look" as they appear different to me as they do to others but also to make me "seem" more erudite that those around me. I found people don't take the p*ss when your level of vocabulary is far superior to theirs.  :stupid:

I have developed a thick skin over the years to the small minded, bigoted select bunch of tossers on Internet forums being rude and to me it is water of a duck's back but I do wish, for the sack of others, they would keep their opinions to themselves. If I thought for a second anyone on here was knowingly being nasty just to garner laughs from others then I'd cancel my account in a heartbeat. This forum is different and its a place I enjoy for its banter and knowledge in equal measure.  :drinking:

^^^^
Hey, folks it's not just a simple matter of whether someone can spell or not or whether they have had the privilege of an English language education - The problem is when some people are quite capable (obviously not genuine dyslexics) of writing in reasonable grammar and spelling but are lazy about it (usually encouraged when using mobile media). That problem becomes irritating and unhelpful to those who might be able to help a fellow forumite when a question is asked and, as a direct consequence of it being written without any punctuation etc etc it is too difficult to make sense of. It's when all these elements are combined that it becomes a problem, in my opinion.

If we encourage such low standards of communication........

Ex(?) forum member Scott-The-Comma-Boy is a prime example and there have been plenty others - So what justification is there in accepting it?

Do you not see my point? - I know many of you do because so many of you are very quick to take the piss out of badly written posts.

I understand your point and do (on the whole) agree. I work my nuts off to write proper like  :laugh:, whether that be in a post or down on paper. My education did help me and the extra tuition and my sheer determination not to be seen as an "idiot" also helped.

It does annoy me when peeps who find easy what I find so difficult to do don't bother to make even a cursory effort with their spelling, punctuation or grammar in general. I believe if some people don't find things hard then they don't bother....

This post (as with every post I submit) has taken ages to write as I need to read, re read and check the spelling.  

EDIT: Even after all that re reading, I'm still modifying this post due to bad spelling!  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:42:22 pm by MC71 »

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline rich83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 802
    • MK5 Golf GTI
  • My Ride: https://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=1ejclbejsvr0t04od0bj370kt7&/topic,19740.0.html
« Reply #41 on: December 30, 2012, 01:11:57 pm »
No ..... not that one . He created another one telling us about his sale to his brother in law/brother and he'd checked all the vin numbers etc , went on for at least 10 pages , i watched superstars last night and missed the end of it !

It got removed...

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
« Reply #42 on: December 30, 2012, 01:13:53 pm »
It is coming back after, as non of us moved it.  :chicken: dont know how it disappeared. Bit like his seats.  :laugh:

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #43 on: December 30, 2012, 01:33:16 pm »
@ MC71:

You are to applauded!  :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats: :congrats:

I didn't for a moment suspect that you were dyslexic. Your testament is an example to others and especially to those who are just plain lazy about making an effort when they are not dyslexic.

Re the boarding school teasing: I had a lisp and was teased about it - Until I broke another boy's nose! Then everyone stopped. I call that schooling character building!

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #44 on: December 30, 2012, 03:21:01 pm »
EDIT: Even after all that re reading, I'm still modifying this post due to bad spelling!
You may notice my posts are always edited for the same reasons as yours.

I too was not diagnosed at school and had extra lessons with the remedial group and after school. Amazed no one wondered why I was in the top few of the school for maths and sciences, but bottom in English.
It was only when I went to collage was I diagnosed.

Robin,
I'm also the technical author at work so it helps. As does the phone and mobile spell checkers.
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.