Make a donation

Author Topic: A Knighthood? For riding a bicycle?  (Read 3807 times)

Offline garrardrj

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 76
  • -Receive: 42
  • EX 2007 Golf Edition 30 owner in Suffolk
    • Email
Re: A Knighthood? For riding a bicycle?
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2012, 12:55:58 pm »
Multiple Olympic medals, World Championships, National titles and the Tour de France.

I damn well think Wiggo deserves a Knighthood along with all those like Sir Chris Hoy, Vicky Pendleton.

Cycling is a tough persons sport make no mistake.

EXACTLY what i have been saying , he has been rewarded with medals and titles already , he doesn't need another one . Give them to people who haven't been awarded/recognised , that was the point of them in the first place but as usual we move the goalsposts !
2015 Golf R White 5 Door Leather DCC Dynaudio Pretorias
2009 Land Rover Freelander HSE - Workhorse
2007 Mk 5 Golf GTI Edition 30 - SOLD

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2012, 03:45:26 pm »
I don't see why he shouldn't get a knighthood; Jimmy S got one and he was a paedophile.
'07 Red manual

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
  • -Receive: 10
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2012, 04:39:17 pm »

I take nothing away from bradley wiggins whose achievements this year have been remarkable especially in the light of the lance armstrong affair, but I feel that some of these honours are given out on the strength of there perceived popularity with the public.

.... x 2

I'm a great fan of 'Wiggo' and an ex cyclist who has known the physical suffering (my bike could have won the Tour de France but I couldn't!), but I agree - A Knighthood is too much and I expect that Wiggo himself also thinks so. But 'Wiggo' has done more for cycling sport than (Sir) Chris Hoy AFAIK - He's not a newcomer. Furthermore, I expect that 'Wiggo' will use his knighthood and fame to good effect - Compulsory cycling helmets and public bike licencing please!

Now, as for the lovely Jessica Ennis..................

She deserves an award for that arse alone!  :notworthy:

Well I'd certainly like to park  in there, and I'm not talking about my bicycle!!

RedRobin your something else!  :signLOL:

I'm a massive fan of hers and boy I wouldn't just get sweaty with her, I'd much rather get drenched!!  :grin: :grin:

@ OP its definitely a little overboard to get a knighthood but thats my personal opinion.
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2012, 04:57:00 pm »
One thing is for sure and that is that there is absolutely no point in getting too fussed about whether someone got a title or letters after their name - It doesn't make them a better human being and that's all that matters. Each era's society can decide whatever it wants regarding who gets titles etc and who doesn't. In the past, titles were mostly awarded to people for doing favours for the Monarch or to help suit a marriage of families and wealth. Nowadays, the populace doesn't want to recognise the monarchy or the gentry in the same way and it is left to government to decide. Just as well it isn't done by phone voting like X-Factor, but that day may still come!

I take my hat off, or not, in respect for what some people have done or achieved and not necessarily because a government, regardless of political party, decides. So I admire the efforts and success of Wiggo and Jessica Ennis regardless of their awards outside their sports arenas.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Oli

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 19
  • living the dream....
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2012, 06:56:41 pm »
I cant beleive this is even being questioned?? :stupid:

What is has done for the sport of cycling, sport in general in this country and moral in the country in this last year is massive, and a well deserved knighthood in my humble opinion - Lucky we are not all the same............ :happy2:

Well done Wiggo.

PS - http://www.bradleywigginsfoundation.org/site/
www.bmvs-camperhire.co.uk - Brand new VW California SE rental

Offline driver rider

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 18
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2012, 07:45:15 pm »
I cant beleive this is even being questioned?? :stupid:

What is has done for the sport of cycling, sport in general in this country and moral in the country in this last year is massive, and a well deserved knighthood in my humble opinion - Lucky we are not all the same............ :happy2:

Well done Wiggo.

PS - http://www.bradleywigginsfoundation.org/site/
3 Door GTI Black, Cruise Control, DSG, Factory Tints, Folding Mirrors, Heated Seats, Highline Display, Leather, Monza II's, MFSW, Parking Sensors, Puddle Lights,  Xenons,

To be fitted....Bluetooth,DVB-T, MDI, RNS510, Stage one (opinions much appreciated)

Offline chudds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2012, 02:41:46 pm »
i think its well deserved more as a motivation for others and raise the profile of a sport or just infact getting off your arse... i have dabbled in the world of weightlifting and due to chris hoy and bradders cycling has been granted a stupid amount of funding! as opposed to weightlifting which got f*ck all and never will!

i think its the smartest move to fund something thats simple, any one can go halfords hand over £100 (cheaper than a gym membership) and maybe just maybe get in some sort of shape and relive the nhs of all the fat barstewardss... where as if you over glorify a sport such as weightlifting.... how many people are gonna go spend £200 on a gym member ship then coaching to be in not so many words be compliant in two very technical moves...

so throwing a knighthood at a guy thats sh*t hot at riding a bike and gets at least 100 people off there arse is well worth it and the sense of achievement for him must be unreal....

my 2 cents worth

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2012, 02:56:04 pm »
I think people underestimate cycling; it's a punishing sport both physically and mentally.  Equipment costs are high initially, if you want anything half decent.  Your hated by at least 50% of the UK driving public when all your trying to do is stay safe and enjoy your time out -- in fact, it's sad to say but in some areas, it's become a borderline suicidal pastime on UK roads.  Probably worth the knighthood on its own.

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2012, 04:36:09 pm »
HRH Duke Wiggins the conqueror of The French, which I believe is his full title, deserves his gong for his achievements in sport and over a long period of time too and in such varied disciplines of his sport.

As mentioned, if it encourages a fat kid or 2 to get of their backsides, slap on the Lycra and get peddling then its job done IMO. He leads by example and is an inspiration to many. We are to quick to knock our sporting heroes in this country and to achieve something that no one from this isle has done before is incredible.

Well done Wiggo, your majesty!  :notworthy: :notworthy:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2012, 05:43:12 pm »

Interesting debate as usual on here. I agree he should be recognised for his sporting achievements and what he has done for cycling and the post-Olympic feel good factor in general. However, I still think a knighthood is a bit O.T.T.

There are people in this country who regularly put their lives on the line for the sake of the public, and others who dedicate their lives to helping the weak, sick and vulnerable live better, healthier and happier lives. many of these people go unrewarded and unrecognised. Most of them carry out their work in a truely altruistic manner, so do not seek recognition, but these are the people I would rather see honoured.

As others have said, Wiggins et al. will get many awards and rewards both now and in the future for their efforts and achievements.

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline chudds

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 1
    • Email
« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2012, 05:56:48 pm »
no doubt service men and women should be honoured just as much but the fact they chose to service there country no one threw camo at them and said protect me did they.... before anyone one takes that the wrong way im taking nothing from them and have the upmost respect for them as i couldnt do it thats for sure!

iv got got friends in the marines and fire service and all say they dont do it for the praise and dont expect it.... infact one marine said 50 % off in dominos was enough haha