Make a donation

Author Topic: Xenon Headache  (Read 976 times)

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 32
Xenon Headache
« on: December 30, 2012, 12:46:16 pm »
After installing my xenons, the drivers side appeared more blue than the passengers. I decided to replace the bulbs and put Osram SVS in but they are still the same. This is really annoying as I don't want my xenons to be different colours. The passenger side appears to be the right colour but the drivers just looks wrong! Anyone had any experience?
Sold - 2006 Tornado Red GTI 3dr

Offline marko

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 33
    • Email
Re: Xenon Headache
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 12:55:54 pm »
are they oem bulbs??
2007 TR gt170...heated leather,underseat drawers,auto-levelling bi-xenons,puddle leds,chrome switches,footwell lights f+r,cruise control and ed30 rear lamps,LED interior....carbon highline clocks,ed30 front spoiler,RNS 510 P+MDI,mk6 gti gearknob,TPMS done,complete r32 trim kit+ MFSW,r32 f+r brakes,RLS fitted.headlamp washers,folding mirrors and boot pop,mk6 RVC,19"Helios,AP coilies,valeo LEDs  ...dpf delete and remap to finish off

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:06:18 pm »
are they oem bulbs??

Originally I thought one of the bulbs must have been different to the other, when taking them out they were both Phillips. I have now put the Osrams in, non OEM but better apparently, and the problem is still there.  :sad1:

Offline rdfcpete

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 98
  • -Receive: 52
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 01:12:51 pm »
One of my Xenon bulbs on my MK5 GTI was ever so slightly milkier than the other but you had to really look closely (within a foot or two) to even register the slight difference, if you were looking for it too.

Mine were retrofitted (from a donor MK5 .:R32) and I used Kufatec leads. I never really knew what bulbs were in there but they looked really good so I left it at that and never worried about trying to get two bulbs that matched 99.5% in light colour.

That could well be an expensive mission you're onto there Luka...(?).

Is it that obviously noticeable?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 01:50:34 pm by rdfcpete »
Pete

RNS-E LED 2012 | Aux-In | AP Coilovers |  Hawk HPS Pads | Revo Stage 1+
Previous: OEM+ 2006 MK5 Golf GTI 2.0T FSI Steel Grey 3 Door

Offline Nodz

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 73
  • -Receive: 103
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,29264.0.html
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 01:37:58 pm »
All I can think that is causing this is the ballasts. I get this at work with light fittings, replace the lamp in one and ballast and lamp in the another and the one with the new ballast is brighter, so applying the same logic I would say one ballast is older than the other or one is possibly on its way out.

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 02:25:04 pm »
I've just been out trying to figure what the problem is. I've had a look at both ballasts, they're the same but one may possibly be on it's way out. I've also given the lenses a quick wetsand and polish. After wetsanding the drivers side (the one producing yellower light) I notice a big patch across the botton left of the headlight, as if there was a coating on the lense itself or that part of the lense had been wetsanded before? Could that affect light colour?

I suppose I may try ballasts next, if not, then a new headlamp. I'm going to nip out later when it's dark and look at the headlights from a distance just to make sure it's not an optical effect from standing close/beam patterns.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2012, 02:26:43 pm by Luka »

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 04:35:14 pm »
I've had this problem, but sorted it by simply getting a new set of HIDs. One was 7k and the other 5k, so noticeable. One of my ballasts gave up a few weeks ago and when the new one arrived there was a noticeable increase in power, but its now back to 'normal'.
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"

Offline Luka

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 04:52:31 pm »
I've had this problem, but sorted it by simply getting a new set of HIDs. One was 7k and the other 5k, so noticeable. One of my ballasts gave up a few weeks ago and when the new one arrived there was a noticeable increase in power, but its now back to 'normal'.

Have you got factory fit xenons or an aftermarket HID kit?

Offline jonnym

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 40
  • -Receive: 22
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 05:08:53 pm »

Have you got factory fit xenons or an aftermarket HID kit?

Aftermarket HID kit
@PSW - "Candy white ones are the nicest and fastest"