Make a donation

Author Topic: Asbestos concrete pipe disposal anyone any experience?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline jbc

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 8
Re: Asbestos concrete pipe disposal anyone any experience?
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2013, 04:54:22 pm »
That's probably what it was originally bought for.
Sadly the only people who would have known what it was for, when it was bought, were from, and what it is actually made of died this year.
I would not be suprised if it was for that job thinking back and looking at it. It is probably just concrete but I have no experience with concrete pipes or Asbestos or fires so just dont know.

Asbestos was often used in fires, flues, etc as it is an excellent heat insulator. If it was made pre 1999 then there is every chance it could contain asbestos. As said by others, it is harmless as long as you do not disturb it. The fibres are microscopically fine, so you won't be able to see them, lab testing is the only way to prove it for definite. As the pipe is so thin then my personal thought is that it is likely to contain asbestos, as that is a very thin pipe to be made of concrete alone. The 125 number is probably the pipe diameter in millimetres.

If you are clearing out an old house, beware of other things that can contain asbestos. It was used in vinyl floor tiles, loft insulation/pipe lagging, etc. It was used in artex and wall plaster too. Most people only think of asbestos being in things made out of asbestos concrete such as asbestos roofs but it was commonly used in much more than that.
2012 Mk6 GTD. Tornado Red. TPMS, RNS510 and reverse camera retrofit.

Offline Snoopy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 31
  • -Receive: 15
Re: Asbestos concrete pipe disposal anyone any experience?
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2013, 06:11:33 pm »
Thanks for the info.
Im thinking (from knowing the owner) if they were after 1999 they would have been nearer the door.  :grin: From the location at the back of the building I'm thinking mote like early 80s.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2013, 06:18:25 pm by Snoopy »
Ex mk5 GTI owner, moved to a mk6 in 2010.