Make a donation

Author Topic: Good deed done for the day... What would you have done?  (Read 1360 times)

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 5
Good deed done for the day... What would you have done?
« on: December 30, 2012, 09:03:41 pm »
Was at a petrol station just now (one of the ones that are closed at night but you can still pay by card at the pump) and found a wallet and a galaxy s3!

Now im not one to steal or screw people over, but there was £40 in the wallet and it crossed my mind haha!

Foud the guys driving licence but his address is about 50 miles away so wasnt going to drop it off to him!

Decided to take them both home, charge up the dead phone and try to call his home or something! Turned out the phone had a pin so I couldnt but his girlfriend called it! I answered and agreed to meet the guy back at the petrol station!

Met him and for my troubles he gave me £20!

I now feel guilty for taking the £20, although i dont think i should! What would you have done...

Offline stealthwolf

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 306
  • -Receive: 291
  • ED30 No.1412
    • Email
Re: Good deed done for the day... What would you have done?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 09:07:38 pm »
Give the money to charity. IMO good deeds stop being that when you benefit from it directly. A true good deed is one that is done without expectation (or acceptance) of a reward.

Having said that, I'm impressed. Probably would have just gone to local cop shop and handed it in.

The GTI isn't just a machine. It's very much a living, breathing thing.

Offline Greeners

• Thank You
  • -Given: 201
  • -Receive: 199
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 09:10:36 pm »
Good for you!  :congrats:

If the guy wanted to give you some money for your honesty (as I would have done) then I do not see an issue with you accepting his kind gift in return for your honesty!

Offline Matto

• Thank You
  • -Given: 24
  • -Receive: 116
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,37071.0.html
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 09:12:52 pm »
I found a wallet a few years back and did the same. Found the lads driving license in it and saw it was only a few streets away. I would like to think someone would do the same if someone found mine.

Offline Hedge

• Thank You
  • -Given: 484
  • -Receive: 304
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2012, 09:13:37 pm »
As above. You feel good, he feels good, end of story really.  :smiley:

Well done by the way.  :pomppomp: :pomppomp: :pomppomp:

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2012, 09:17:01 pm »
I'd have done exactly as you would have. You shouldn't feel guilty for accepting the £20. It's far less than the hassle he would have had to go through cancelling cards and applying for a replacement license.

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2012, 09:22:11 pm »
Yea i like to think someone would do the same for me!

I must say, he was probably more worried that his background picture could have been seen by others! A photo of his mrs in a low cut onesie  :innocent: :signLOL:

Offline richtung

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 56
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2012, 09:26:58 pm »

I must say, he was probably more worried that his background picture could have been seen by others! A photo of his mrs in a low cut onesie  :innocent: :signLOL:

I hope you saved it in the bank....?  :grin:

Rich

Offline v2brett

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 22
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2012, 09:29:24 pm »
 :signLOL: and as above fella you`ve done the right thing and the next person might not have so you saved the guy alot of hassle,  get yourself some beers and savour being the good guy.
just hope someone like you would find my things when i lose them  :happy2:

Still Here!

Offline MC71

• Thank You
  • -Given: 413
  • -Receive: 427
  • Mk7 R
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,113185.0.html
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2012, 09:49:32 pm »
I've never found a wallet/purse but would like to think I'd do the same as you. As for accepting the £20, accept it in the manner it was given, with thanks.

My wife left a handbag in a theatre a few years back and when she went back to pick it up it was gone, never to be seen again. I'd have paid a hell of a lot more than £20 if someone had phoned to say they had found her bag.

:happy2:

Build thread Stage 2+ Edition 30 ~~Clicky here~~

Offline Bane

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • "I was born a handsome man and now I'm half a goat
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2012, 10:15:59 pm »
Yep.honesty pays off(occassionaly!)
Oh,and well done on figuring out how to answer an S3....it took me four attempts and two missed calls to understand how the answer graphics worked... :ashamed: :grin:

Offline Eddie-NL

• Trader - 2014
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 298
    • Email
  • My Ride: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,56721.0.html
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2012, 10:30:42 pm »
I'm glad he rewarded you honesty

Could have turned out very different if a lowlife had found it

Genuine VCDS VAG-COM HEX-USB + Genuine Vag Commander + Genuine VAG Tacho + Genuine VAG CAN PRO  + RNS Manager for Video in Motion and New Pin Code for RNS510

Cluster and Key coding

Location Great Yarmouth

Retrofits fitted by me see my members rides

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2012, 11:33:54 pm »
Yep.honesty pays off(occassionaly!)
Oh,and well done on figuring out how to answer an S3....it took me four attempts and two missed calls to understand how the answer graphics worked... :ashamed: :grin:

:signLOL: :signLOL: only knew how to because my sister has one!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2012, 11:39:41 pm »

Good for you!  :congrats:

If the guy wanted to give you some money for your honesty (as I would have done) then I do not see an issue with you accepting his kind gift in return for your honesty!

.... x 2

I would have probably told him that he didn't need to reward me but if he insisted I would accept it happily. What goes around comes around.

I have found notes such as a fiver or a tenner in the street and kept them. I've got a found fiver in a separate part of my wallet at the moment - I don't spend them and keep them for luck or when really stuck. Have any of you been literally down to your last £20? - I have.

I once found a plastic bag on the bread shelf in Safeways (Fulham) and spotted notes in it.... Took it home for closer inspection and there was £60.... But then I spotted a paying-in type book and saw it was for a Pensioner so I handed it in to the local Post Office and was told later that the old lady was extremely pleased. Without the book or evidence of ownership I would have kept the cash without hesitation.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline ConeKiller

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2012, 11:46:15 pm »

I would have probably told him that he didn't need to reward me but if he insisted I would accept it happily. What goes around comes around.

I have found notes such as a fiver or a tenner in the street and kept them. I've got a found fiver in a separate part of my wallet at the moment - I don't spend them and keep them for luck or when really stuck. Have any of you been literally down to your last £20? - I have.

I once found a plastic bag on the bread shelf in Safeways (Fulham) and spotted notes in it.... Took it home for closer inspection and there was £60.... But then I spotted a paying-in type book and saw it was for a Pensioner so I handed it in to the local Post Office and was told later that the old lady was extremely pleased. Without the book or evidence of ownership I would have kept the cash without hesitation.

Yea to be fair I did say it wasnt necessary but he insisted, and by the look on his face he was so happy just to have it back!

If it had been money on its own thats a different story, but he had bank cards, driving license and money as well as the phone! One day hopefully someone will do the same to me!