Make a donation

Author Topic: Precautions to take when once Re-mapped?  (Read 5352 times)

Offline Top Cat

• Top cat
  • Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 171
  • -Receive: 335
  • Almost Jacamo
Re: Precautions to take when once Re-mapped?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2010, 10:02:32 am »
My Ed 30 although Standard, enjoyed oil changes every 5k, it costs less than £50, so a no brainer to me.

Did it with all my other cars, so no change with this one.

The Roc R has enjoyed an oil change already too!

I hope it wasn't on a ramp when you filled it.  :laugh:

Offline QD MBE

• Thank You
  • -Given: 15
  • -Receive: 102
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2010, 10:06:10 am »
Not sure what you mean by that.......................... :wink: :wink: :wink:

I think that certain tuner forgot to read page one of the manual.   :stupid:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2010, 11:34:51 pm »

Since being remapped I oil change every 10k miles and new plugs and air filter clean every 20k miles. Otherwise I follow the VW recommended regime.

You should really be changing your oil and filter every 5k miles!  The 10k miles is really only for 'standard' performance VAG motors.

....Oh  :surprised:  - I thought that 20k mile intervals was for 'standard' motors.
20k miles (or 2 years - whichever comes first) oil changes - ie 'LongLife servicing' in petrol engines are only for non-'performance' engines without a turbo (so say the non-turbo 2.0 FSI with 150 ponies) - AND when driven like a granny - ie, hardly ever exceeding 3,000 rpm.

IF you regularly exceed 3,000 rpm - then you MUST use the 10k miles or 1 year T&D (Time and Distance) regime.  And if you have a high performance, but standard turbo petrol engine (and even if you keep below 3,000rpm), then you are best advised also to use the 1yr/10k T&D intervals.

However, if you have a standard high performance turbo petrol, and spank it hard, AND/OR if you have a modified turbo petrol engine (irrespective of weather you drive Miss Daisy or spank it) - then you really ought to be changing your oil and filter every 6 months or 5k miles.

The choice is entirely yours - but most peeps would be far more appreciative of 5k oil changes over say 100% V-Power in the tank.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2010, 12:55:14 pm »

However, if you have a standard high performance turbo petrol, and spank it hard, AND/OR if you have a modified turbo petrol engine (irrespective of weather you drive Miss Daisy or spank it) - then you really ought to be changing your oil and filter every 6 months or 5k miles.

The choice is entirely yours - but most peeps would be far more appreciative of 5k oil changes over say 100% V-Power in the tank.

....I do about 20k miles every 12 months so my current 10k mile oil+filter change works out at about every 6 months. I also exclusively use V-Power.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 88
  • -Receive: 95
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed!
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2010, 08:38:36 am »

....I do about 20k miles every 12 months so my current 10k mile oil+filter change works out at about every 6 months. I also exclusively use V-Power.
I'm sure we all know you are married to a V-Power nozzle! :evilgrin:

But even though you are on 20k a year, I'd still recommend 5k oil changes - you have increased your engine power roughly 25% over and above the standard spec.
Sean - Independant Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
------
07 Golf5 GTI 5dr (BWA), DSG, colour coded, Revo, WALK, WL ARBs, 235 PS2s, seat drawers, OEM tints, custom/hybrid engine mounts, Audi-esque soundproofing

~~ free official Golf V factory workshop manuals ~~

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2010, 12:40:51 pm »

I'm sure we all know you are married to a V-Power nozzle! :evilgrin:

But even though you are on 20k a year, I'd still recommend 5k oil changes - you have increased your engine power roughly 25% over and above the standard spec.

....I think I might take your advice but following my 90k (am at 89k) mile service, just so it's round figures and easier to remember.  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!