Make a donation

Author Topic: Which battery for a Golf and what is standard fit?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
Which battery for a Golf and what is standard fit?
« on: January 01, 2013, 02:00:53 pm »
Had problems starting my golf from cold, Been trying everything new glow plugs (Its a 2.0 tdi), fuel filter sensors etc and still no joy!

The last thing we thought about was the battery, as we thought this wouldnt be a problem as it had a new one when i got the car (Has a Varta battery on now, 70ah 340cca) but in the listings on Euro car parts it has a 70ah 680cca listed!

Im taking it as this is the battery that is fitted is to a 2.0 petrol car?
How hard can it be?

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 4
Re: Which battery for a Golf and what is standard fit?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 09:00:24 pm »
I'd say the Cold cranking amps was quite weak on your current spec, how old is the battery?

I would stick to Varta based on my own experience with a Bosch S5 replacement that had to go back:

1. The box the battery sat in was warped in shape so interfered with the cables.
2. The terminals were shallower than the Varta and didn't allow for proper fit despite efforts to accommodate it. There just wasn't enough slack on the cables for a proper fit. So unless I ditched the cover it wasn't going in.
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone

Offline foggy3061

• Taking part
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 2
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 07:05:02 am »
Had problems starting my golf from cold, Been trying everything new glow plugs (Its a 2.0 tdi), fuel filter sensors etc and still no joy!

The last thing we thought about was the battery, as we thought this wouldnt be a problem as it had a new one when i got the car (Has a Varta battery on now, 70ah 340cca) but in the listings on Euro car parts it has a 70ah 680cca listed!

Im taking it as this is the battery that is fitted is to a 2.0 petrol car?

Tayna site suggests a 096 battery fitment for your car which does indeed have in the region of 70ah and 680CCA - manufacturer dependant:

http://www.tayna.co.uk/096-Enduroline-Car-Battery-700CCA-P8383.html

Strangley though, the GTI battery fitment is the same, 096 too.
2005 MK5 GTI 3dr Tornado Red, OEM+

Offline andybon

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 11
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 10:56:09 am »
It had a new one fitted 3 months ago when I got the car, was wandering it sounded like it was dying when I was starting it. Got a Bosch s5 on it yesterday with the right cca and fits perfectly in the hole and the terminals fit perfectly.
How hard can it be?

Offline GTI5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 05:22:14 pm »
It had a new one fitted 3 months ago when I got the car, was wandering it sounded like it was dying when I was starting it. Got a Bosch s5 on it yesterday with the right cca and fits perfectly in the hole and the terminals fit perfectly.

Fair enough, as I said my battery box was warped in shape which didn't help but even so the shallower battery terminals were annoying on my setup.

Not sure if the TDI setup is different? Either way you got it sorted. :happy2:
MK6 GTI Revo
MK5 GTI DSG - Gone