Make a donation

Author Topic: Lowering on a budget...  (Read 8079 times)

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
Re: Lowering on a budget...
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2013, 01:00:40 pm »

Or keep the money in the bank, and save another 300 and then go for a Bilstein B12 Sportline kit which includes Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs.

this is what i'd do

Over a half decent set of coilies even?

Offline Stanipkiss

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 15
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2013, 01:42:32 pm »

Or keep the money in the bank, and save another 300 and then go for a Bilstein B12 Sportline kit which includes Bilstein dampers and Eibach springs.

this is what i'd do

X3  :happy2:
X4  :drinking: sweet talk Graeme @ GNJ motorsprt on here

Mk5 Jetta 2.0l Tdi 140 se Apex RDX coilovers, BBS VZ003, Skyline tails, Genuine Xenons more to come

Offline JoeDarKa

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2013, 01:49:50 pm »
Depends if you want "lowz" or just to lower it a little bit. Iv got springs and the rear sits too high now so got coilovers in the garage waiting to go on!

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Offline Mk5 GTian

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 37
  • Wolfsburg - Probably the Best Cars in the World
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2013, 02:17:25 pm »

this is what i'd do

I wouldn't get coilovers unless I could afford decent ones like KW, Koni or Eibach etc

Fun Golf: 2016 mk7 R DSG 3 door. Work Golf: 2015 mk7 1.4 TSI GT ACT 5 door.
Gone but not forgotten : mk2 Golf GTI 16v, mk4 Golf V6 4Motion, mk5 GTI Storm Developments Stage 1, mk5 GTI Revo Stage 1, BMW 330ci, Skoda Octavia VRS Revo Stage 2, BMW Z4 Sdrive35i.

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2013, 02:34:54 pm »
I don't understand why anyone fits coilovers if they aren't going to track their car. It's not as if you'll want to adjust your offside front settings for that uphill bend on the way to work.   :confused:

For road use and/or 'image' I'd just fit high quality (VWR/H&R/Eibach) lowering springs.
'07 Red manual

Offline sub39h

• Thank You
  • -Given: 189
  • -Receive: 84
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2013, 03:14:08 pm »

this is what i'd do

i have Weitec Hicon GTs which have been on my car about 2 years now. they have performed flawlessly. i got them 2nd hand for £400 which i was happy with as they were basically brand new and came with new top mounts

BUT since setting them i've not played with them at all and they are likely to be inferior in terms of handling when compared with B12s. if i knew then what i know now, i'd have B12s and not mid range coils
2006 Phantom Black A3 2.0T S-Line
DSG | Rear Parking Sensors | MFSW | BOSE | Auto lights/wipers | Half leather
MODS : '09 tail lights | TT vents | Bilstein B14 | RNS-E 2010 | AMI | AKS Tuning custom CAI | Titanium BBS VZs | NQS BBK | WALK | Autotech RARB | Bluemotion aero | Blueflame TBE | Autotech HPFP | MY11 Wing Mirrors | Bluetooth | S3 Intercooler
PLANS: Stage 2+

Offline Rachael

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 10
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2013, 03:30:25 pm »
I don't understand why anyone fits coilovers if they aren't going to track their car. It's not as if you'll want to adjust your offside front settings for that uphill bend on the way to work.   :confused:

For road use and/or 'image' I'd just fit high quality (VWR/H&R/Eibach) lowering springs.

:signLOL: Made me smile!

I've read somewhere that different springs can affect the original shocks?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 04:16:54 pm »

:signLOL: Made me smile!

I've read somewhere that different springs can affect the original shocks?

....I've heard the same. So not a wise choice in the longer term.

As for coilovers being only suitable for track, I don't agree. Your car reacts the same to the road and how it's being driven and it doesn't know if you are on a road or a track. My KW-V3's were setup by VWR for fast road use and occasional trackdays and I have never needed to alter their setup. There are plenty of fast twisty roads in my neck of the woods which are either tighter or more frequent than on a lap of most circuits.

However, if someone only wants the lowered look rather than a setup for handling, then coilovers are probably overkill.

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Tortaruga

• Thank You
  • -Given: 36
  • -Receive: 105
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 04:30:38 pm »
I have never needed to alter their setup

Hence the pointlessness of having adjustable coilovers on your car.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but coilovers are designed so that the suspension setup can be tweaked according to the specific demands of a particular racetrack.

There is no harm in fitting them to a roadgoing car, other than it is a complete waste of money. Quality dampers & springs is all that's needed.
'07 Red manual

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 04:40:17 pm »
Fk highsports can be brought for less than £300

Buy nice or pay twice.  The GTI is a great handling hatch.  Fitting pump coilovers like JOMs or FK is fine on something that is crap as standard, but it just begs belief that people would do it on a GTI which is essentially a high end hot hatch.

I say this to many people.  Too many guys ask about lowering their cars and the first response is always stick coilovers on!!!!  Coilovers ruin the daily ride.

I partake in trackdays but after my experience of coilovers on my own cars and in others i still prefer my current non coilover setup.  Its so much more usable on the road where it lives 99% of its life.

TFSI_Mikes Cupra is an example of this.  His car is immense and on a smooth circuit id bet its unbelievably good and not much would stick with it at all, but on the road its horrific.  I think even he is considering moving away from his KWs to the ASTs which seem to handle the road/track better

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 04:45:07 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but coilovers are designed so that the suspension setup can be tweaked according to the specific demands of a particular racetrack.

There is no harm in fitting them to a roadgoing car, other than it is a complete waste of money. Quality dampers & springs is all that's needed.

....I'm afraid that you are wrong. Yes, coilovers can be tweaked according to a particular circuit for a trackday. But the fact that they have the adjustability, which fixed dampers and springs don't have, allows good coilovers to be properly setup for fast road use - That's how I have mine and personally I find them suitable for my trackdays without adjustment. If I was racing on a track then adjusting them would be worthwhile. I don't do lap times, I just enjoy fast driving whenever safe circumstances allow whether road or track.

Bilstein are easier to adjust than KW.

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 04:49:55 pm »

I say this to many people.  Too many guys ask about lowering their cars and the first response is always stick coilovers on!!!!  Coilovers ruin the daily ride.

I partake in trackdays but after my experience of coilovers on my own cars and in others i still prefer my current non coilover setup.  Its so much more usable on the road where it lives 99% of its life.

TFSI_Mikes Cupra is an example of this.  His car is immense and on a smooth circuit id bet its unbelievably good and not much would stick with it at all, but on the road its horrific.  I think even he is considering moving away from his KWs to the ASTs which seem to handle the road/track better

....I don't know why, perhaps it's VWR's great setup of my KW-V3's, but my ride on the road is great - Hard but never harsh and no discomfort whatsoever. Most folks who have either driven or ridden in my car (unless they have a back injury or similar) all say it's a comfortable ride and I've done hundreds of miles in single journeys without feeling any after effects.

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2013, 04:50:46 pm »

....I'm afraid that you are wrong. Yes, coilovers can be tweaked according to a particular circuit for a trackday. But the fact that they have the adjustability, which fixed dampers and springs don't have, allows good coilovers to be properly setup for fast road use - That's how I have mine and personally I find them suitable for my trackdays without adjustment. If I was racing on a track then adjusting them would be worthwhile. I don't do lap times, I just enjoy fast driving whenever safe circumstances allow whether road or track.

But you have had yours adjusted for the best all round road/track settings which is essentially what a KW V1 would be set at.  So having a set of KW V3s that dont get adjusted begs the question that wouldnt you have been better off with the KW V1 instead?

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2013, 05:01:16 pm »

But you have had yours adjusted for the best all round road/track settings which is essentially what a KW V1 would be set at.  So having a set of KW V3s that dont get adjusted begs the question that wouldnt you have been better off with the KW V1 instead?

....Quite possibly KW-V1 would have done, but I had the opportunity for a good deal from VWR and at least with the V3's I always have the option. Without VWR I probably would have bought Bilstein.

I don't alter mine because it works well for me all round so I don't feel the need to 'mend' it.

Bottom line is that well proven brands of coilovers are the wiser choice if you feel the need for coilovers at all.  :happy2:

As usual, it's a choice between Show or Go but as you, Sy, very wisely advise, don't ruin a good car like the Mk5 GTI. Too many folks think that just by lowering a car they have achieved better handling.

Offline DanielF

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2013, 05:13:25 pm »
Buy my h&r springs £100 see for sale section :)