Make a donation

Author Topic: Boost Hoses  (Read 6701 times)

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 33
  • -Receive: 11
Boost Hoses
« on: July 04, 2009, 02:06:45 pm »
Right, who can recommend the best value or just plain best intercooler hoses?
Half considering swapping cars at the moment as I have itchy feet but it might be just that I've just spent the last couple of months messing about with stuff on the house and now need some car therapy to get over the DIY trauma (even though most of it wasn't DIY).
So assuming I don't change cars I'm going to go for a more aggressive remap than I have presently (REVO most likely). I was told at my last service in April that one of my intercooler hoses had a very slight boost leak. Obviously I don't want to be putting the suspect hose under any more pressure with added boost going through and leaking out with a harder re-map so I guess a new set of silicone hoses will be required. No point in getting a standard VW replacement really as I normally go with the 'uprate when worn out' school of thinking.
I read Lee's (chungster) review of the SFS ones back along and was impressed enough assuming the fitment issues have been sorted now but does anyone else have any recommendations and deals out there?

Ta  :smiley:
Andy
7R

Offline RedRobin

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 379
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
Re: Boost Hoses
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2009, 02:21:47 pm »

No idea about 'deals' but SAMCO silicone hoses are considered the best quality. Forge and one or two others now imitate them.

SAMCO have a double layer : -

You possibly want more than just the hoses but it's not a mod you can feel the benefit of very strongly. More a long term preventative measure : -

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2009, 02:30:01 pm »
Cheers Robin, Samco are normally the first name when it comes to hoses. Nice picces too (as ever!).

Having seen 1.8T's on rolling road days with the bonnet open under full boost I've seen a few hoses 'pancake' in my time! Double skinned is deffo good, but I guess expensive too?
Andy
7R

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2009, 02:42:59 pm »
Robin,

what's that TB pipe you have their next to the original? Is it the Neuspeed one?

For info....my IC to TB pipe is coming off in a few weeks. The original design is just too fat with no compression, and the rad fan has taken a good 1-2mm cut into the pipe.

Not wanting for it to cut clean thru and causing a major boost leak, i'm having the OEM pipe put back on.

Now SFS did tell me the design was changed to give it more room. But I've not seen it or had it fitted to my car so can't say much on it.

The Turbo to IC pipe will stay on tho.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2009, 02:44:10 pm »

Yes, I think that SAMCO are probably more expensive than their rivals. Merlin Motorsport give an excellent fast service and are quite competitive.

Linky : - Merlin Motorsport SAMCO Hose Kit page....

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2009, 02:49:14 pm »
Robin,

what's that TB pipe you have their next to the original? Is it the Neuspeed one?

For info....my IC to TB pipe is coming off in a few weeks. The original design is just too fat with no compression, and the rad fan has taken a good 1-2mm cut into the pipe.

Not wanting for it to cut clean thru and causing a major boost leak, i'm having the OEM pipe put back on.

Now SFS did tell me the design was changed to give it more room. But I've not seen it or had it fitted to my car so can't say much on it.

The Turbo to IC pipe will stay on tho.

Cheers for the update Lee.

Yes, I think that SAMCO are probably more expensive than their rivals. Merlin Motorsport give an excellent fast service and are quite competitive.

Linky : - Merlin Motorsport SAMCO Hose Kit page....
Thanks for the link Robin
Andy
7R

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2009, 02:51:08 pm »
Robin,

....Yes, Neuspeed Charge and Discharge pipe replacements.

The only result I was able to just about feel (probably with a placebo factor) was slightly freer running and response. Expensive for what it is and not my best mod, but every bit helps.

If anyone is seriously considering an intercooler upgrade, don't spend on these hoses because they'll need replacing when you do the aftermarket intercooler.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2009, 02:52:41 pm »
^^^^
Thank You for the Thank You, Andy! :happy2: 8) :happy2:

Offline chungster

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 33
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 03:27:33 pm »
Robin,

If anyone is seriously considering an intercooler upgrade, don't spend on these hoses because they'll need replacing when you do the aftermarket intercooler.

I can't knock the 10bhp i saw on the before/after RR runs, but its full width straight from TB to IC is just too much. You can see the neuspeed pipe narrows in the middle section so its not as fat as my SFS pipe, hence no probs for you. Oh well it didn't cost me anything anyway!  :happy2:

Offline keith

• Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 32
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2009, 10:21:42 pm »
if you buy the S3 i/c it comes with better pipes/hoses than the standard gti one.

Offline bacillus

• Thank You
  • -Given: 4
  • -Receive: 451
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2009, 10:31:25 pm »
if you buy the S3 i/c it comes with better pipes/hoses than the standard gti one.

For the economically challanged amongst us, you don't have to buy S3 hoses to mate up to the S3 IC. You can cut the metal coupler off of the oem IC hoses (at the IC end) and attach the "bare ends" to the S3 IC using jubilee clips.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2009, 10:44:27 pm by bacillus »
Without traction power is nothing!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 10:43:40 pm »

For the economically challanged amongst us, you don't have to buy S3 hoses to mate up to the S3 IC. You can cut the metal coupler off of the oem IC hoses and attach the "bare ends" to the S3 IC using jubilee clips.

....I suggest using stainless steel jubilee clips.

WILLZIE

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 11:46:12 pm »
Nice Carbon Fibre badge in the pic! :drool: :drool:

Offline BeezerDiesel

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2009, 10:51:35 am »
^^^^
Thank You for the Thank You, Andy! :happy2: 8) :happy2:
You earned it!  :smiley:
Robin,

I can't knock the 10bhp i saw on the before/after RR runs, but its full width straight from TB to IC is just too much. You can see the neuspeed pipe narrows in the middle section so its not as fat as my SFS pipe, hence no probs for you. Oh well it didn't cost me anything anyway!  :happy2:
That 10bhp did figure in my thoughts....

I was toying with the idea of the S3 IC back along, I was looking at buying neg's but I think it went with the car....

For the economically challanged amongst us, you don't have to buy S3 hoses to mate up to the S3 IC. You can cut the metal coupler off of the oem IC hoses (at the IC end) and attach the "bare ends" to the S3 IC using jubilee clips.

Economically challenged is me, (tight, stingy etc!!!) so thanks for the heads up there but I would probably go for the full kit and would then sell it on again or put it on my next car.....
Nice Carbon Fibre badge in the pic! :drool: :drool:
I thought that too......
Andy
7R