Make a donation

Author Topic: Need advice on Skiing / Snowboarding holiday please  (Read 6965 times)

Offline MAT ED30

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 25
  • -Receive: 82
  • Vwr fan boy
    • Email
Re: Need advice on Skiing / Snowboarding holiday please
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2013, 10:10:22 am »
^^^^ avoid France  :signLOL: i have just got back from the alps in France and i go once or twice a year and i have never had a problem with the French i have seen worse attitudes in London being honest.Get yourself over to Chamonix next month as it will be great and its got plenty of slopes in the local area for everything from beginner to doing black runs and its easy to get to just drive down in your car thats what i do  :smiley:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:15:47 am by MAT ED30 »

Mods yes but way too many to stick in this little box

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 2
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2013, 10:17:17 am »
Love France! LOVE IT!

Off to Avoriaz in 5 weeks :)

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2013, 10:22:31 am »

Also avoid france... biggest problem with france... THE FRENCH... rude obnoxious people. Italy they are much more polite but then ive not been to an italian resort that has great night life.

No need to be offensive. We have French members on this website. I'd say they wouldn't take too kindly to those sort of comments.

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2013, 10:27:43 am »

Also avoid france... biggest problem with france... THE FRENCH... rude obnoxious people. Italy they are much more polite but then ive not been to an italian resort that has great night life.

No need to be offensive. We have French members on this website. I'd say they wouldn't take too kindly to those sort of comments.

It is a bit of a blanket statement.

I've been to France more times than I can remember, and for the most part he's right! :signLOL:  Most don't like the English.

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2013, 10:30:24 am »
Borovets in Bulgaria is sh*t! I wouldnt go there again if it was free!

Im actually off to Mayrhofen tomorrow for a week. Thats costing £640 all in (lift pass, flights, fully catered chalet accommodation with sauna etc. I booked for a whole group of people so got a bit of a discount.

If your after somewhere to party you cant do much better than st anton. Went there last year and its great. Good skiing and good apres.

Andorra is nice but if your in any of the towns other than pas de l casa then its a bit quiet at night. Its also hit and miss on snow I found as its so far south and not a very high resort. Went in feb once and ended up sun bathing.

Id say austria is your best bet.

We (10 of us) are off to Solden (Austria) in Early April (for my 40th) 2 cars driving out there (4 in each car) and 2 flying out to stay with us for 3 nights (my brother and one of our mates) we got a 3 bedroom SC apartment for £800 which sleeps 8 (Altho only 4 of us staying in it so we have a room each including sofa bed in the lounge which is handy for my best mate as he is one of them weirdos that can only sleep with the TV on  :grin:, this also saves us having to remove the plug from the TV upon arrival at hotels!!  :grin: which is what we normally have to do!! ) and the other 4 are staying in a 2 bedroom apt that sleeps 6 (they paid £675).

The cost of eurotunnel and fuel will be around £85-90 each so all in for less than £300 each for us and less than £270 each for the other 4, benefit of driving means we can take more stuff with us (stopping at a french Hypermarket for food/drinks etc) plus travelling out on Saturday and returning Sunday means we get a full 7 days on the slopes rather than the usual 6 days (maybe 6 days + a morning if your lucky with flight times), full 7 days lift pass is £215

Last time we did it we each put £60 in the kitty and that covered food and drinks for the apt for all of us for the week  :happy2:

Doing it on a budget this year so more could come, had we been flying and hotel only 4 of us could have made it due to the cost.

Had we been doing it without budget restrictions we would have gone to Ischgl as it is the best place for Apres we have ever been to (including St Anton AA), altho like courcheval it is also frequented by the Russian Oligarchs' altho they all tend to stay at far end of town in the 5* hotels and frequent the bars under the hotels leaving the central resort for everyone else  :happy2:

I am with you on Avoid France (there are still a few resorts where it's OK but the main resorts are full of arrogant french) I am sure the french are a great bunch of people ,it's just on ski slopes they turn into tools?!, good tip for France is to sharpen your elbows for the lift queues. :wink:

Andorra is great for teenagers/early 20's and cheap too.

Italy is good, quieter than france and good food but nightlife not as good.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:33:11 am by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2013, 10:36:42 am »

Ahh, a blanket statement, that's OK then :stupid:

For what it's worth I go to France maybe twice a year (although its been less in recent years). My parents have a place in Argentiere, five minutes up the road from Chamonix. I can honestly say, in the 15 years or so I've been going I've never encountered any hostility from the French. Quite the opposite in fact. They always seem genuinely interested when talking to you and they're always incredibly helpful.

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2013, 10:47:59 am »
You get arrogant people everywhere.. The UK is pretty bad to be honest... I never really noticed it until I moved back from living in the states... We are horrid :P

The French can be a little arrogant but I have never had any problem with them and if you try to speak French you get a much much better response, even if you are terrible at it like me :P

The only place I have had issues with French people is in Paris.. but then even the French don't like Parisians !

Lift Queues can be a little hostile but ha.. Man up ;)

On the slopes, locals always think they have right of way.. its human nature and the majority of the French you meet will be up from the surround areas and it is "their" resort..
I am just as bad when I season and have to deal with punters :P Some people should not be allowed on snow ;)

http://beatermeter.tumblr.com/

Beware the Bruce!

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:54:48 am by majinvash »

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2013, 10:55:30 am »
The hotel staff have always been helpfull (altho apart from the manager they seem to be mainly slovenian/slovakian etc), Les Deux Alpes was pretty friendly altho crap for snowboarders unless your very quick and can flatboard for upwards of 1/4+ mile (generally uphill  :fighting:), the red runs there include many uphill sections so for one or two of my mates who are only on 2nd or 3rd year they could not manage the whole uphill/flat bits (I was OK as I tend to flatboard quite often anyway, benefit of doing it for 18/19 years  :happy2:), would not like to think what the greens were like (never went on them, genrally stay on red/black with the occasional blue for meandering back at end of the day! when legs are tired  :grin:)

Also worth getting are one of the free mountain apps on Iphone, logs your speed using GPS, distance travelled, number of runs, vertical descents etc, managed 103kmh in march last year on a quiet day coupled with 27 runs (Not bad for a slow snowboarder as some of my skier mates said, altho the fastest of them only managed 108kmh)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:59:49 am by Tamiyoman »

Offline zerolag

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 13
  • Ass of Ennis
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2013, 11:06:10 am »

Calm yourself, where did I say it was ok? :stupid:

Offline andrewparker

• Thank You
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2013, 11:18:38 am »

Calm yourself, where did I say it was ok? :stupid:

Apologies, I wasn't suggesting you condone it.

Offline jedi-knight83

• Thank You
  • -Given: 12
  • -Receive: 41
    • Cambridge Autogleam Detailing
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2013, 11:34:38 am »

I've been to France more times than I can remember, and for the most part he's right! :signLOL:  Most don't like the English.

Yeah its a bit of a generalisation.... French are ok :) one of my best friends is so french most people dont understand him...

French in snowboard resorts are particularly arsey though.
Golf GTI DSG "ED30 Tribute" - RTech: 254bhp / 323lbft | MK6 GTI DSG S.Wheel | MK6 GTI speedo | MK6 climate | RCD510DAB | Bluetooth | Milltek Cat back | H&R Springs & Rear ARB | WALK | 19" BBS CH | MK7R 340mm brakes - INFO

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2013, 11:52:18 am »

I've been to France more times than I can remember, and for the most part he's right! :signLOL:  Most don't like the English.

Yeah its a bit of a generalisation.... French are ok :) one of my best friends is so french most people dont understand him...

French in snowboard resorts are particularly arsey though.

I think (like someone else said) the French do have an annoying habit of loitering/stopping on landing areas or right in front of kickers  :fighting:

I once wiped out a French skier mid air (I was about 4ft off the ground at the time of impact) as she was stood below a marked jump on her phone (we both had some bruises but her phone died that day!)  :fighting:  her husband started throwing abuse at me (and a few punches), only when he was sat down ( :smiley:) did he understand/realise that it was his wifes fault for standing there, he then started shouting at her at which point I went on my way down the piste.

Offline majinvash

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • Eat, Sleep, Snowboard
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 12:06:57 pm »
When I was in Les Arcs last year hitting the Derby run, there is a lovely little hit on the left just before it drops into the final run to the chair lift..

A family of French were standing around in front of it, I set my line and just as I was committed the Dad sets off without looking up slope ( Breaking his own skiers code, Naughtly ), so i had no option but to ollie over the front of his skies and then hit the jump. This all went very smoothly, till I looked up and saw this guy speeding after me.. So I stopped he got all up in my face, screaming at me in French.. So I pushed him over and unclipped  Shirt off, Throw down mode  This shocked him and he quickly got up and vanished away.. I very rarely get angry enough to do that but just his attitude, that his lack of awareness was MY fault, raged me!

If you ever want to see Skiers vs Boarders. Hike Baldy in Snowbird and drop into Alta! Alta is a skiers only resort and they do not like the seeing us drop in higher then their highest chair goes, makes them MAD  So funny!

Offline onthegetsnowt

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2013, 12:45:01 pm »
March 16th Winter X Games Europe in Tignes, France!!! We will be there again its an awesome resort and the weather is usually good in March.

You can ski Val d'Isere aswell with the full L'Espace Killy ski pass so theres loads of choice.

I started here as a beginner and its not the easiest of places but you will be fine.

Get down the Chillfactore in Manchester beforehand if you're close by! :smiley:

Whatever you decide. Happy Skiing!!!
GTI Edition 30- Black- Standard Car

Offline Tamiyoman

• Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2013, 01:05:15 pm »
March 16th Winter X Games Europe in Tignes, France!!! We will be there again its an awesome resort and the weather is usually good in March.

You can ski Val d'Isere aswell with the full L'Espace Killy ski pass so theres loads of choice.

I started here as a beginner and its not the easiest of places but you will be fine.

Get down the Chillfactore in Manchester beforehand if you're close by! :smiley:

Whatever you decide. Happy Skiing!!!

One of the lads who is coming with us has only been once before (December last year) and decideed he was sick of being left behind (and us shouting hurry up all day  :grin:) so he has just done 2 full days at Chill factor having 8 x 1 hour long private lessons over the 2 days, he says we should not have to wait too long now  :signLOL: