Make a donation

Author Topic: Need advice on Skiing / Snowboarding holiday please  (Read 6957 times)

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 8
  • -Receive: 8
    • Email
Re: Need advice on Skiing / Snowboarding holiday please
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2013, 01:45:35 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm making notes of everything  :happy2:

We'll try and get a accomodation, flights and transfers package. I would drive but it's a pain in the arse depending on 97Ron fuel and my mate drives a 350z which is neither pratical or good in the ice.

We are aiming to go the last two weeks of January or the first two weeks of March

So far our shortlist of countries / resorts consists of:

Andorra
Soldeu
Pas de la casa

France

Serre Chevalier
Les Arcs
La Plagne
Val d'Isere
Tignes
Courchevel
Meribel
Val Thorens
Les Deux Alpes
Avoriaz
Chamonix

Italy
Cervinia
Bardonecchia
Santa Caterina
Caspoggio
Aprica
Molveno
Sestriere

Switzerland
Saas Fee

Austria
Ischgl
St Anton
Mayrhofen
Solden

Our main factors to consider seem to be:
Price of accommodation/flights/transfer
Price of food and drink within the resort
Altitude of Resort (Minimum peak altitude 2000m)
Transfer time from airport to resort
How well the slopes are suited to our ability
Nightlife
Locality of accommodation to slopes

Tour operators we will be comparing:
Igluski
Neilson
Crystal
Inghams

If anyone can add to any of the above lists or dismiss any of the suggested resorts I’d appreciate it. It’s all helping us greatly!

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2013, 03:10:38 pm »
Thanks for the advice everyone! I'm making notes of everything  :happy2:

We'll try and get a accomodation, flights and transfers package. I would drive but it's a pain in the arse depending on 97Ron fuel and my mate drives a 350z which is neither pratical or good in the ice.

We are aiming to go the last two weeks of January or the first two weeks of March

So far our shortlist of countries / resorts consists of:

Andorra
Soldeu
Pas de la casa

France

Serre Chevalier Great skiing especciallly if there is powder and like being in the trees
Les Arcs
La Plagne
Val d'Isere very pricy for drinks at night and was full of Ra-ra's (It was when we went anyway, there were 53 of us so we pretty much took over a corner of a bar and made our own night  :happy2:
Tignes Access to Val D'Isere slopes but cheaper
Courchevel Full of wealthy russians with model wives
Meribel little cheaper than courcheval and less russians
Val Thorens good resort and great off piste of there is powder
Les Deux Alpes good resort not too pricey but lots of flat areas on the runs, many of them are no fun (walking) unless your really quick
Avoriaz
Chamonix

Italy
Cervinia
Bardonecchia
Santa Caterina
Caspoggio
Aprica
Molveno
Sestriere see below
Sauze D'oulx Usually cheap deals can be found and good resort and you can ski to sestriere on other side of mountain assuming the red run is open as it is on the sunny side and is uaully the 1st run to close due to lack of snow, you can still get lift over and ski all over sestriere tho!

Switzerland
Saas Fee

Austria
Ischgl Awesome nightlife including several top nightclubs including "Pascha" under the Hotel Madlein (Club "Post" is also good under "Hotel Post"), also attached to the side of Pascha is a "Coyote Ugly" strip joint my best mate insisted on going in for a look (there is a door to access coyote direct from Pascha) he bought a 150 Euro bottle of champage and was very quickly covered in strippers vying for his money, I had 2 drinks and went back into Pascha  :happy2:, for apres you cannot beat "Schatzi" under Hotel Elizabeth, great music, good atmosphere and dancing girls on the bar and the DJ is open to suggestions for music too  :happy2:, unfortunately its a very expensive place to go to thanks to those russians, order 2 double vodka and cokes on 1st night and it was £28, ordered singles after that  :grin:
St Anton
Mayrhofen
Solden am told it is a cheaper version of Ischgl without Pascha nightclub

Our main factors to consider seem to be:
Price of accommodation/flights/transfer
Price of food and drink within the resort
Altitude of Resort (Minimum peak altitude 2000m)
Transfer time from airport to resort
How well the slopes are suited to our ability
Nightlife
Locality of accommodation to slopes

Tour operators we will be comparing:
Igluski
Neilson
Crystal
Inghams

If anyone can add to any of the above lists or dismiss any of the suggested resorts I’d appreciate it. It’s all helping us greatly!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 03:14:45 pm by Tamiyoman »
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2013, 03:27:17 pm »
Thanks buddy, I'll take a good look at that tonight and cross the few off the list!  :happy2:

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 13
  • -Receive: 7
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2013, 07:14:56 pm »
This is an interesting read, been looking into it myself abit lately as i've always fancied it... I've been on quite a few holidays yet when it comes to skiing holidays its a new world to me don't even know where to start....

Doesn't seem to be many comments on bulgaria? is it a right off? - looks pretty dammn cheap!

My friend leaves for france in the morning, ill let you know where he went and how he got on  :happy2:

Ive always much fancied snowboarding over skiing myself, any avid boarders out there?

:)

Offline onthegetsnowt

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2013, 07:18:18 pm »
He will soon be Dusting heads I guess :grin:
GTI Edition 30- Black- Standard Car

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2013, 07:22:11 pm »
He will soon be Dusting heads I guess :grin:

I don't get you reference  :stupid: lol ???

Offline Tamiyoman

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 39
  • Prev car - Candy DSG ED30 No. 2235
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2013, 01:43:47 pm »
This is an interesting read, been looking into it myself abit lately as i've always fancied it... I've been on quite a few holidays yet when it comes to skiing holidays its a new world to me don't even know where to start....

Doesn't seem to be many comments on bulgaria? is it a right off? - looks pretty dammn cheap!

My friend leaves for france in the morning, ill let you know where he went and how he got on  :happy2:

Ive always much fancied snowboarding over skiing myself, any avid boarders out there?

Bulgaria is OK if your on a strict budget, want short easy slopes, dont mind luke warm edible food, otherwise choose somewhere else  :happy2:
MK7 Golf R, Pure White 3Dr DSG, Had since 10/06/14

Offline Veee-dubber

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2013, 05:30:04 pm »

Bulgaria is OK if your on a strict budget, want short easy slopes, dont mind luke warm edible food, otherwise choose somewhere else  :happy2:

Haha glad I asked :)

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2013, 03:38:41 pm »
Today we are trying to make a shortlist, taking various factors into consideration. One factor that's stumbled us is the Piste lengths in kms. They seem to range from as little as 100km to 1200km.

What would be the minimum for a good week for an intermediate boarder and skier? We would like to try a range of slopes and then probably stick to one or two favourites

Thanks

George

R32UK

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2013, 05:44:02 pm »
Today we are trying to make a shortlist, taking various factors into consideration. One factor that's stumbled us is the Piste lengths in kms. They seem to range from as little as 100km to 1200km.

What would be the minimum for a good week for an intermediate boarder and skier? We would like to try a range of slopes and then probably stick to one or two favourites

Thanks

George

look at the hotel sport in soldeu  :wink: :happy2:

very very good location and a free pass to the spa across the road via secret tunnel

Offline George

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2013, 06:31:29 pm »
Well we haven't been able to make as much progress today as hoped, but we did decide to knock Andorra, France and Switzerland off the list. France and Switzerland due to price, and Andorra due to, well, we just want to go to the alps!

We are now stuck between Italy and Austria. We have decided we want to stay in a Half Board hotel rather than a self catered chalet due to not knowing who we may end up sharing the chalet with, and not having a choice of food.

Budget for accommodation, flights and transfers is strictly £550, absolute maximum.

Where would you recommend?

Thanks!