Make a donation

Author Topic: Testing out the crimbo cleaning products  (Read 3553 times)

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1
  • -Receive: 6
    • Email
Testing out the crimbo cleaning products
« on: January 04, 2013, 03:53:16 pm »
Hi All

Got a few more products to add to the collection recently and as the car is filthy and the weekend weather looks good (ish) I'm going to attempt a details.
I'm going to attemt claying for the first time - any pointers other than don't drop the clay etc?
The car already has some protection as its still beading well (AG Extra Gloss Protection sealant) - Do I need to remove this before the clay stage? If so I've heard fairy liquid can be used to strip back any previous layers? Has anyone tried/ had any success with this.
I now have the majority of the AG product range so was wondering whether all should be used and if this is the correct order:
1. Wash with Fairy Liquid to remove previous wax etc.
2. Wash (2 buckets obviously) with AG Body Work Conditioner
3. Clay
4. Auto Glym SRP
5. Now this is where I start to get confused - I have AG Ultra Deep Shine (I believe it's a glaze of a sort)? Do I do this now?
6. Extra Gloss Protection (sealant) - Unsure whether this is needed as I will then wax??? Also heard that UDS & EGP dont work together particularly well???
7. AG HD Wax

Any tips/ advice (as always would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :happy2:

Offline andrewparker

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 32
  • -Receive: 78
Re: Testing out the crimbo cleaning products
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 04:12:21 pm »
Claying will remove the previous layers of wax...

Offline maxload

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 41
  • -Receive: 29
  • Edition30 - No.1819
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 04:37:11 pm »
Hi All

Got a few more products to add to the collection recently and as the car is filthy and the weekend weather looks good (ish) I'm going to attempt a details.
I'm going to attemt claying for the first time - any pointers other than don't drop the clay etc?
The car already has some protection as its still beading well (AG Extra Gloss Protection sealant) - Do I need to remove this before the clay stage? If so I've heard fairy liquid can be used to strip back any previous layers? Has anyone tried/ had any success with this.
I now have the majority of the AG product range so was wondering whether all should be used and if this is the correct order:
1. Wash with Fairy Liquid to remove previous wax etc.
2. Wash (2 buckets obviously) with AG Body Work Conditioner
3. Clay
4. Auto Glym SRP
5. Now this is where I start to get confused - I have AG Ultra Deep Shine (I believe it's a glaze of a sort)? Do I do this now?
6. Extra Gloss Protection (sealant) - Unsure whether this is needed as I will then wax??? Also heard that UDS & EGP dont work together particularly well???
7. AG HD Wax

Any tips/ advice (as always would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers :happy2:

1. Rinse
2. Two bucket wash thougherly/if possible use fallout remover such as ironx
3.Rinse/wash
4.Clay
5.UDP as I don't think wax properly bonds on top of a sealent
6.HD Wax

Sound's good to me , but I'm sure there will be other opinions  :happy2:

Offline Frodo-anni

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 14
  • -Receive: 45
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 09:35:27 pm »
Step away from the fairy liquid  :fighting: :fighting:
mk4 Anniversary pd No0341 - Sold
mk5 GTI Edition 30 DSG No0391

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 09:15:55 am »
Really? I'm sure I've read than somewhere on one of the detailing sites?... So will the clay remove previous layers? Only reason I ask is that the instructions on the clay kit state after claying to use AG HD Cleanser to remove residues of previous wax?
Any suggestions on what to use didn't really want to fork out for a special cleanser  :happy2:

Offline ianv5

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 3
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 09:52:22 am »

Agreed Washing up liquid has salt in it!!!

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 10:39:26 am »
Okay will skip the fairy liquid and go straight for wash/clay/polish/wax.
Cheers for the info  :happy2:

Offline dmac1969

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 21
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 04:45:06 pm »
I think it's reccomended to wash the car again after claying?
2005 Golf GTI 3 Door - Tornado Red. (2010 - 2012)

2008 Golf GTI 3 Door - Candy White , 18" Monza II's , Leather , Armrest , Rear Park sensors. (current car)

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 07:06:52 pm »
sh*t - not done that. Spent all day and only got as far as wheels, wash, dry, clay (Jesus - the claying alone took 4 hours!!!) then polished, was getting dark by this point and moisture in the air was making it near impossible to get polish off. Not even started on interior yet.
So tomorrow I have to buff of remaining polish then wax (2 coats), clean interior (Hoover, shampoo, leather clean/protect) exterior plastics/rubber, glass, tail pipes, polish/seal wheels.... Don't know whether to give car a coat of ultra deep shine before waxing too?
Looking at another full day I imagine. 2 days to clean a car sounds excessive but hoping results will be worth it... Must admit it was as smooth as glass after claying - how often should u clay? I'm hoping not often!

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 07:59:50 pm »
how often should u clay? I'm hoping not often!

Twice a year buddy, if that  :happy2:

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2013, 08:46:45 pm »
Thank god!  :happy2:

Offline Frenzy

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 29
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 12:15:03 pm »
sorry, i'm a bit late with this advice as you've already discovered the pitfalls for yourself but if you are going to do an all singing grand detail:

1.) Don't bother in winter - not enough daylight unless you are very experienced and therefore can do it all quickly and still do a thorough job. For most amateurs like you and me you need as much time as possible, therefore get up very early and choose a time of year when daylight isn't at a premium

2.) Once you get past 3pm on a mild day in winter the temperatures drop off significantly, this causes condensation - moisture forms as the warm air gets trapped. As the warm air cools it turns from a gas to a liquid and fecks up any polishing or waxing you are trying to do which is more than likely the stage you'll be at in the process by mid afternoon  :fighting:

3.) You did the right thing to spend 4 hours claying the car. Shows you weren't rushing. Rushing when claying is a bad idea as it is at this stage of the detailing process where we as amateurs risk marring the paint work the most. Having said that 4 hours is a long time and you'll get quicker with practice and confidence.

4.) If you can break the detailing into stages then you'll make it easier on yourself. Wash the wheels thoroughly the day before and get them sealed/waxed. Then do the bodywork the next day, or even the weekend after (maybe your wheels will need a quick wash down but you won't have to go through the rigour of waxing/sealing again which is the most time consuming part). Do the trim and interior the weekend after. And if you are like me save your exhaust tips until the next blue moon  :signLOL:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 12:18:34 pm by Frenzy »

Offline ripmateyy

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 16
  • -Receive: 18
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2013, 01:48:16 pm »

Agreed Washing up liquid has salt in it!!!

Now I have heard this about fairy liquid for stripping wax and my argument is I live by the seaside so I'm pretty sure there is more salt in the air around my car and in the rain than in a drop of fairy liquid   

Offline onthegetsnowt

• Just Arrived
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 1
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2013, 06:16:35 pm »
I live right on the beach so know a thing or 2 about salt!!!

I have just ordered some clay and have not used it before. I hope it doesnt take me 4 hours to do, I better start early doors.  The plan is to use HD cleanse aswell to get a really clean waxing surface

Some useful points made here guys  :happy2:
GTI Edition 30- Black- Standard Car

Offline Markydee

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2013, 06:34:15 pm »
Great advice frenzy - will defo bear it in mind for next time. Job is now done - took me nearly 2 days though :surprised:
Least favourite job was defo cleaning, polishing, sealing the pescaras... And the 4 hour clay bar session!
Having said that I'm chuffed with the results!

Just got to keep on top of it now  :scared: