Make a donation

Author Topic: manual gt tdi or dsg??  (Read 4179 times)

Offline Tomm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
manual gt tdi or dsg??
« on: January 05, 2013, 05:17:29 pm »
wanting to buy a mk5 golf gt tdi 140, been looking at 2006 - 2008 models. what would use guys say go for the manual or dsg??

Offline Deako

• Just look at my post count
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
Re: manual gt tdi or dsg??
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 05:34:19 pm »
At that age manual for sure.

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
  • -Given: 380
  • -Receive: 442
  • BIALI Motorsport's Chief Horn Blower
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 05:57:02 pm »

....Er, why?

DSG is no more likely to go wrong with age than a manual transmission. In fact the DSG system better protects your clutches from all that human misuse and error. All you need to do is service the DSG box of tricks as recommended.

Mine's a 2005 plate DSG Mk5 GTI just coming up to 105,000 miles. The only problem I had was a Mechatronics Module at 6,000 miles which was replaced under warranty. One of those earlier Golfs with a faulty Mechatronics would have already failed long ago.

@ Tomm: Your choice comes down to which transmission you prefer to drive. There are plenty of threads here discussing the subject.

And A Warm Welcome to the forum!  :drinking:

On facebook: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline Deako

• Thank You
  • -Given: 38
  • -Receive: 44
  • Eat, Sleep....VAG
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 06:00:56 pm »

....Er, why?

DSG is no more likely to go wrong with age than a manual transmission. In fact the DSG system better protects your clutches from all that human misuse and error. All you need to do is service the DSG box of tricks as recommended.

Mine's a 2005 plate DSG Mk5 GTI just coming up to 105,000 miles. The only problem I had was a Mechatronics Module at 6,000 miles which was replaced under warranty. One of those earlier Golfs with a faulty Mechatronics would have already failed long ago.

@ Tomm: Your choice comes down to which transmission you prefer to drive. There are plenty of threads here discussing the subject.

And A Warm Welcome to the forum!  :drinking:

After my experiences with DSG, I would never own one out of warranty!!

My Scirocco GT went back to the dealer due to continued DSG faults and jerky take offs. Even with new clutch packs and tested mechayronics. The Polo GTI I had never seemed 100% right either. Was ok most the time, but just didn't trust it.

Yes, it's a great system and I love it when it works. But they are very expensive time bombs!!

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 06:17:51 pm »

After my experiences with DSG, I would never own one out of warranty!!

My Scirocco GT went back to the dealer due to continued DSG faults and jerky take offs. Even with new clutch packs and tested mechayronics. The Polo GTI I had never seemed 100% right either. Was ok most the time, but just didn't trust it.

Yes, it's a great system and I love it when it works. But they are very expensive time bombs!!

....I'm sorry to hear you had such grief with DSG and can well understand your reluctance.

It's your opinion regarding the time factor which I find very difficult to accept.  :smiley:

Throbbin' Red Mk5 GTI DSG with too many mods to list - Have Fun but Safe Journeys!

Offline JoeDarKa

• Thank You
  • -Given: 57
  • -Receive: 73
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 06:22:30 pm »
Manual aswell. The 140 can be laggy, quite so when remapped

GT Sport - Reflex Silver 2.0 TDI My Build

Nasir

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 07:36:12 pm »
DSG and diesel works well. If the choice is available it would be the DSG. Don't be scare mongered into believing every DSG box will go bang. Clutches and flywheels on diesels aren't cheap, there's no worry of that with a DSG gearbox.

The most common fault with the DSG is the mechatronics unit which doesn't cost too much more than a clutch and flywheel change. 

Offline Tomm

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 7
  • -Receive: 0
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 01:07:02 am »
thanks for the help guys! im going tom to see the dsg one, hope all goes well :)

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:41:29 am »

thanks for the help guys! im going tom to see the dsg one, hope all goes well :)

....If the DSG option is one you are seriously considering, try and get a long test-drive. When outside any urban zones, use the M-mode and paddle shifters and Think Manual - DSG does have a learning curve before it becomes fluid and second nature. Good Luck!

Offline neg

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 7
  • gone old skool
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 10:25:59 pm »
DSG and diesel works well. If the choice is available it would be the DSG. Don't be scare mongered into believing every DSG box will go bang. Clutches and flywheels on diesels aren't cheap, there's no worry of that with a DSG gearbox.

The most common fault with the DSG is the mechatronics unit which doesn't cost too much more than a clutch and flywheel change. 
I agree, with the tdi short rev range the DSG I think is better.

Offline S2 Ant

• Won't Shut up.
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 9
  • -Receive: 21
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 05:09:11 pm »
Interesting if there are more of these coming up as when i've looked in the past a DSG GT TDi is like hens teeth! Much like 3 door GT TDi's!
I'd love to find a well loved and not moon mileage 3 door GT TDi with DSG for the Mrs!
Ant

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2013, 05:21:29 pm »

Interesting if there are more of these coming up as when i've looked in the past a DSG GT TDi is like hens teeth! Much like 3 door GT TDi's!
I'd love to find a well loved and not moon mileage 3 door GT TDi with DSG for the Mrs!

....History is more important than the mileage. There's a thread running at the moment where the new owner has discovered that the serious water leaks he's been getting are because the boy who previously had the car put in loads of hearing-destructive audio gear and didn't reseal it etc properly.

Offline S4nup

• Always Involved
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 2
  • -Receive: 5
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 05:33:19 pm »
Never had experience of driving a DSG box before i picked up my MK5 GT TDI 140. I swore by manual, but when i test drove the car...the gearshifts were discernable...very smooth, no jerkyness and very quick. it was that, that sold dsc for me. Not bad for a car with 130k on it

My brother in law has a 2010 Scirocco with DSG and although he hasn't had any issues with the DSG box on his, he said the DSG on the GT TDI was a lot smoother and seemed fractionally faster. i'm glad i chose the DSG

Offline RedRobin

• Thank You
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2013, 05:39:05 pm »

i'm glad i chose the DSG

.....It's up to you of course but I hope you drive your DSG in M-mode a lot and not always in automatic D-mode.

DSG offers the best of both worlds if you have a positive attitude towards it.  :happy2:

Offline Janner_Sy

• Thank You
  • -Given: 62
  • -Receive: 113
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2013, 05:42:14 pm »